Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2020

Recommended Posts

Rumoured (confirmed by certain members of Steel Army) Hounds movement

 

Joe Greenspan- Gone, signing with another team

Kyle Morton- Wants to play for someone that isnt Bob Lilley and will leave

Kevin Kerr- Retirement, moving to the development academy fulltime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still no word from D.C. United as to who may be their new broadcasting partner in 2020.  They ended their deal with FloFC before the 2019 season officially ended. That platform was not well received buy the club's fans. Most DCU fans are hoping for the team to partner with either one of the local broadcast stations, one of the regional sports networks (NBC Sports Washington or MASN), or even YouTube TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, at least you have a manager.  We have competitive games in eight weeks and still don’t have anyone in charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a hot rumor a year or so ago that MLS was going to ditch local TV contracts entirely and sign everything up with one of the streaming services. Maybe it was BS, turns out. Seems sensible as an idea though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Digby said:

I remember a hot rumor a year or so ago that MLS was going to ditch local TV contracts entirely and sign everything up with one of the streaming services. Maybe it was BS, turns out. Seems sensible as an idea though.

 

Yes and No. 

A while ago MLS HQ advised it's teams to not sign any long(er) term local broadcast contracts beyond the current overall MLS broadcast deal in order to have the bidding done for everything (national, regional, local) together and get more $ from that.

 

Would be nice if all was on 1 (good) service, but they still could split it up to local broadcasters after selling the rights.

Example: big service provider buys all the rights from MLS, then re-sells some of them to regional/local broadcasters.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Digby said:

I remember a hot rumor a year or so ago that MLS was going to ditch local TV contracts entirely and sign everything up with one of the streaming services. Maybe it was BS, turns out. Seems sensible as an idea though.

Build off of what @element7ero said, it's already happened.

 

All of MLS is streamed online with ESPN+ or on a ESPN network(besides the rare one on fox), but they didnt kill off local yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

Build off of what @element7ero said, it's already happened.

 

All of MLS is streamed online with ESPN+ or on a ESPN network(besides the rare one on fox), but they didnt kill off local yet

 

It would be wonderful if all MLS games were available on ESPN+ without local market blackouts. I hope that's where we're ending up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

It would be wonderful if all MLS games were available on ESPN+ without local market blackouts. I hope that's where we're ending up.

 

Right, this is what I had kind of assumed with the previous round of smoke. Come 2021 or so even your local game would be on ESPN+ or YouTube TV or whatever, and not your local RSN. Thought that was an interesting idea, given that MLS teams maybe don't all have the legacy connections and money of Big Four sports teams who control RSNs, combined with a more loyal core group of fans who are theoretically younger and more plugged-in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Louisville City FC with a new crest:

 

https://www.loucity.com/news_article/show/1071724

 

Old v. new:

 

300px-Louisville_City_FC_Logo.svg.png FvqaeUc3_400x400.jpg

 

 

Don't mind the shape, and like the simplification, but unofficial nicknames should never appear on badges instead of the real name.

 

This is actually the third logo they've had in five years, having scrapped their original logo after a bad initial reaction.

 

lcfc-logo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Still no from D.C. United as to who may be their new broadcasting partner in 2020.  They ended their deal with FloFC before the 2019 season officially ended. That platform was not well received buy the club's fans. Most DCU fans are hoping for the team to partner with either one of the local broadcast stations, one of the regional sports networks (NBC Sports Washington or MASN), or even YouTube TV.

If Leonsis wants to make his Monumental Sports Network a thing, he should work with them to put the games on there: 

https://www.monumentalsportsnetwork.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mindless said:


Based on the image on the door, I am guessing they're not going with "All Carolina FC" or "Carolina Gliders FC" as the club name.

Charlotte is just the placeholder name. Carolina is still possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely.   They don’t have to announce a name at the press conference - St. Louis still hasn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

If Leonsis wants to make his Monumental Sports Network a thing, he should work with them to put the games on there: 

https://www.monumentalsportsnetwork.com/

Technically it's already a thing. Mainly streaming high school sports, most of the G League team's games, some of the Washington Mystics games & the now defunct Arena Football teams Leonsis owned. DCU could be the biggest deal on Monumental by default. Don't see Ted going that route unless he becomes involved with DCU ownership though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mindless said:


Based on the image on the door, I am guessing they're not going with "All Carolina FC" or "Carolina Gliders FC" as the club name.

I'm hearing rumors it's going to be "Charlotte Town FC".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.