North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

Interesting. 

I don’t think it’s a very practical idea, though. Pro/rel can’t happen until the sport is much stronger in the US - even in England, relegation can drive clubs into bankruptcy. 

And what’s wrong with a $400M expansion fee, if there are people willing to pay it?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Interesting. 

I don’t think it’s a very practical idea, though. Pro/rel can’t happen until the sport is much stronger in the US - even in England, relegation can drive clubs into bankruptcy. 

And what’s wrong with a $400M expansion fee, if there are people willing to pay it?

First off, I do agree with the fact of relegation putting clubs into bankruptcy. But, practically all Major sports teams in the US are franchise teams, so I would think there are already business people who have money to support the club. I also do agree with your second point, and I can't find any piece of evidence against that. I'm just trying to rationalize how most soccer clubs in the U.S. have to pay a huge fee just to get to a top stage, when really their team should have good enough players that can already support and keep their team's place at the top. FC Cincy, which I do support, were really good in the USL, but then decided to go to MLS while having to pay the fee. And in their first season, finished worst the the Rapids (which kinda hurts). If there was pro/rel, the FCC could have been promoted to the MLS, then been relegated back down to the USL where they can now find their footing again and train/buy players and really cement their position in the MLS the next season.

45 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Interesting. 

My problem with the $400 million fee is that Cincinnati paid $150 million. If that $150 fee is still the case, that's $250 million leftover for a new team that could go towards a stadium, instead of getting the taxpayers to pay for it.

That’s not how it works, though.  The owners aren’t going to stop asking for public funds just because expansion fees are held artificially low. 

And on the contrary, anyone who can pay $400M will have a harder time asking for public money because they can obviously pay for their own damn stadium.  I’m all for it. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That’s not how it works, though.  The owners aren’t going to stop asking for public funds just because expansion fees are held artificially low. 

And on the contrary, anyone who can pay $400M will have a harder time asking for public money because they can obviously pay for their own damn stadium.  I’m all for it. 

Charlotte will also play in a football stadium that already meets FIFA standards. That should be enough for the city to tell them no.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I'm aware of how it works. But I just want to pretend for a few seconds that all rich people aren't dicks. Let me have my dream!

I don't think anyone will have an easier/harder time asking for public funds for a stadium regardless of how much they paid to own a team.

58 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Charlotte will also play in a football stadium that already meets FIFA standards. That should be enough for the city to tell them no.

The football team is trying to get the city to fund upgrades to that stadium, aren’t they?  Never underestimate a rich person’s sense of entitlement. 

38 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The football team is trying to get the city to fund upgrades to that stadium, aren’t they?  Never underestimate a rich person’s sense of entitlement. 

Yep, Tepper's goal is to have a domed stadium within 10 years. He can take that plan and shove it up his :censored:, though.

the user formerly known as cdclt

37 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

They're also picking up noted Sounders hero Roman Torres.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived