2020 College Football

MJWalker45

22 hours ago, See Red said:

Clemson will undoubtedly be favored in the ACC Championship game.  The real important thing is that it doesn't matter.  If Clemson wins the rematch -- Clemson is in.  If Notre Dame wins the rematch, Notre Dame is in and Clemson is out.  I imagine S&P+ or FPI would favor Notre Dame's playoff chances to Clemson's since ND can still get in with a loss.

edit: But who knows.  It feels like Bama, Clemson, and Georgia get a benefit of the doubt that's not afforded to other teams.

If it's close and Alabama vs Florida is a blowout, do both get in as long as Notre Dame had no losses prior? I think if Ohio State loses in the Big Ten to any team other than Wisconsin that makes life easier on the committee. Cincinnati and BYU would need to run the tables and get a lot of help, which sucks because I think both would beat the majority of Power 5 teams this year. But I don't see them beating any of Ohio State, Clemson or Alabama so I can understand why they'd be locked out. I do think both could beat Notre Dame though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If it's close and Alabama vs Florida is a blowout, do both get in as long as Notre Dame had no losses prior? I think if Ohio State loses in the Big Ten to any team other than Wisconsin that makes life easier on the committee. Cincinnati and BYU would need to run the tables and get a lot of help, which sucks because I think both would beat the majority of Power 5 teams this year. But I don't see them beating any of Ohio State, Clemson or Alabama so I can understand why they'd be locked out. I do think both could beat Notre Dame though.

If Florida loses -- close or not -- Notre Dame gets in over them (if it's down to ND and UF, anyway).  And they should if it's one-loss Notre Dame weighed against two-loss Florida.  Maybe I'm biased but I don't think Florida is one of the SEC darlings that's going to get propped up when they're being compared to more deserving teams (an example is that there were people arguing Georgia deserved a playoff spot last year after they got blown out in the SECCG last season).  But I don't know... maybe Florida loses on a last second score while ND loses by four TD's... that would probably change things.  More interesting is if a two-loss Florida, after losing close to Alabama, gets in over a one-loss Texas A&M.

I don't even know what to do with the G5 schools.  Are they good enough to beat any of the other teams in the playoff discussion?  I doubt it.  But you can't really punish them for not playing good P5 teams this season.  I'd take Cincy before BYU.

IUe6Hvh.png

7 minutes ago, See Red said:

If Florida loses -- close or not -- Notre Dame gets in over them (if it's down to ND and UF, anyway).  And they should if it's one-loss Notre Dame weighed against two-loss Florida.  Maybe I'm biased but I don't think Florida is one of the SEC darlings that's going to get propped up when they're being compared to more deserving teams (an example is that there were people arguing Georgia deserved a playoff spot last year after they got blown out in the SECCG last season).  But I don't know... maybe Florida loses on a last second score while ND loses by four TD's... that would probably change things.  More interesting is if a two-loss Florida, after losing close to Alabama, gets in over a one-loss Texas A&M.

I don't even know what to do with the G5 schools.  Are they good enough to beat any of the other teams in the playoff discussion?  I doubt it.  But you can't really punish them for not playing good P5 teams this season.  I'd take Cincy before BYU.

I could see them treating them the same way they tried to say a two loss Georgia was better than a one loss Oklahoma last year. A&M might get left out because their only win of substance was against Florida. The rest of the SEC West will probably have at least 3 losses, and they're supposed to be the stronger division in the SEC but results would prove otherwise, outside of A&M and Bama. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Cal-Arizona State and Utah-UCLA have both been cancelled thanks to Covid outbreaks for both ASU and Utah.  Now, Cal and UCLA will play each other this weekend.  Pretty wild to make that move less than two days before the game after both teams have been prepping to play different teams.

IUe6Hvh.png

18 minutes ago, WJMorris3 said:

Having watched Notre Dame today... that didn't look like one of the top four teams in the country. Have we forgotten what happened the last time ND was in the playoff? That's reason enough to not have them any higher than fifth.

They beat the team that almost beat Clemson by a bigger margin, not by the skin of their teeth. As bad as Wisconsin is beating Michigan right now, it's interesting to think how bad they would have won the last 2 weeks. I also wonder if Harbaugh leaves after this year since it looks like the team just has no heart anymore.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If Trask doesn't win the Heisman, it'll be a crime.

Also... Wisconsin - 49, Michigan - 11.

edit: For fun, a comparison to Burrow last season through 6 games...

Joe Burrow -- 27 TD, 3 INT, 2,157 yards

Kyle Trask -- 28 TD, 3 Int, 2,171 yards

Burrow played Georgia Southern, Utah State, and Northwestern State in those six games, Trask has played all SEC teams. 

IUe6Hvh.png

Indiana being in the top 10 is such a perfect example of how silly this season has been. Their win vs. Penn State looks less impressive as we go, Michigan sucks, Michigan State sucks, and Rutgers technically exists. They're supposed to play Ohio State next week so we'll get a better idea of how good they actually are, but they haven't played any of the seemingly good teams either, so maybe they're secretly not that great too. Hard to say with no non-conference games.

That said, I'm comfortable with ignoring any and all hype involving Penn State, Nebraska, and Michigan for the rest of all time. I am curious if Nebraska is still proud of their heroic endeavors to get this nonsense season played.

I wholeheartedly agree with ya, @Red Wolf. Indiana being in the Top 10 is basically a great example of how crazy this season has been... but there's other examples:

Who would of had TWO schools in the Sun Belt being ranked at this point? And both of them NOT named Appalachian State??

Who had Liberty in the Top 25?

Who could have seen Florida State, Michigan, Penn State - all powers of a bygone era - going through very rough seasons?

26 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with ya, @Red Wolf. Indiana being in the Top 10 is basically a great example of how crazy this season has been... but there's other examples:

Who would of had TWO schools in the Sun Belt being ranked at this point? And both of them NOT named Appalachian State??

Who had Liberty in the Top 25?

Who could have seen Florida State, Michigan, Penn State - all powers of a bygone era - going through very rough seasons?

Coastal is the truly surprising one out of the Sun Belt. The Cajuns have been on the upswing for the past few seasons and that felt like a matter of time. They also benefit from having actually played most of a season.

Liberty has benefited from the fact that they've played an actual season and it's been against a really crap schedule. Their marquee win is against 4-4 Virginia Tech. They've also played two bad FCS schools, the likely worst FBS school (ULM), 1-7 Syracuse, and C-USA's bad teams. None of their opponents have had winning records. They do play NC State (perennial underachievers) and Coastal Carolina later.

Florida State isn't that surprising as it's what we've seen from them lately, Michigan and Penn State being disappointing isn't surprising, but the depths of that disappointment is a bit surprising.

Miami (the Florida one) is one of those programs that sports writers remember being good and still expect or even want to be good. Maybe they can become a real power again, but the clock is ticking on whether I can care or not about whether Miami is supposedly back.

I (homer) think Indiana's defense is sufficiently legit that they will be able to give Ohio State a game at least.  A lot depends on whether Indiana's offense can get it together enough to keep up.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Miami (the Florida one) is one of those programs that sports writers remember being good and still expect or even want to be good. Maybe they can become a real power again, but the clock is ticking on whether I can care or not about whether Miami is supposedly back.

Yeah, Notre Dame is in the same boat. They're not a good team but because the writers are enamored with the Notre Dame brand, they're always ranked higher than they really should be. I think they're at best - at BEST fifth, even if they run the table.

LvZYtbZ.png

Will, if Notre Dame runs the table they'll be a conference champ this year. 😉

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

45 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Will, if Notre Dame runs the table they'll be a conference champ this year. 😉

You can't say they don't get ranking bumps because they're Notre Dame and there's this idea in the media that if Notre Dame is ranked, it's good for college football.

LvZYtbZ.png

1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

Just cancel this stupid season already

Both of my favorite teams (FBS ASU's where the A is a state name), both real and gimmicked didn't play this week, and my favorite NFL team (Broncos) may as well have not played. Football is bad.

If Michigan loses to Ohio State this year, does Harbaugh get fired that night or the next day? I have so not been impressed with him at Michigan. It honestly looks like he only went there to say he "coached" at Michigan and he doesn't care what happens.

Archived