2020 College Football

MJWalker45

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MJWalker45 said:

Ohio State/Michigan is off, let the chaos in the playoffs offices begin.

Eh, no drama.  Barry Alvarez said last week they would discuss changing the rule for Ohio State (meeting on Wednesday).  So they'll likely still be an undefeated conference champion named Ohio State so they'll get into the playoff no problem, regardless of whether or not it's deserved (it's not).  There may also be a cancellation that opens up a Big Ten opponent (Indiana?) for Ohio State.

It's a :censored:ing mess, and a really bad look for these conferences to change their rules mid-season to maximize their playoff chances.  

IUe6Hvh.png

3 minutes ago, See Red said:

Eh, no drama.  Barry Alvarez said last week they would discuss changing the rule for Ohio State (meeting on Wednesday).  So they'll likely still be an undefeated conference champion named Ohio State so they'll get into the playoff no problem, regardless of whether or not it's deserved (it's not).  There may also be a cancellation that opens up a Big Ten opponent (Indiana?) for Ohio State.

It's a :censored:ing mess, and a really bad look for these conferences to change their rules mid-season to maximize their playoff chances.  

I would think winning all of their games makes them a deserved champion, but I understand people want to point to the games not played as much as the games that were played. There have been teams that will not play all of their scheduled games this year that are still considered for the playoffs, most notably the ACC teams. Had the Big Ten not shut down they may have avoided this, but it's something we'll truly never know. But if North Carolina continues to move up and Georgia gets a big bump while coastal Carolina, Cincinnati and the teams in front of them move down, it will be disappointing. Personally I think Ohio State can play any team in front of them, and probably beat everyone but Alabama. I really want to hear what the committee says tonight and what they want from Ohio State, Texas A&M and Florida. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

But they've beaten Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Indiana, and Michigan State.  Four of those teams are garbage and the only data point we have that Indiana might be any good is a close game against Ohio State.  If you're comparing an Ohio State team that hasn't looked that impressive in over five or six games to a team that's played 10 or 11... you're doing it entirely based on the program's name.

The committee is almost certainly going to have Ohio State at 4.  They seem unwilling to put A&M at #4 -- understandable since they haven't looked great -- or put Florida ahead of A&M since there's no real need to until Florida wins out (if they beat Alabama, obviously).  And, more importantly, nothing happened this last week that would change things.

IUe6Hvh.png

12 minutes ago, See Red said:

But they've beaten Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Indiana, and Michigan State.  Four of those teams are garbage and the only data point we have that Indiana might be any good is a close game against Ohio State.  If you're comparing an Ohio State team that hasn't looked that impressive in over five or six games to a team that's played 10 or 11... you're doing it entirely based on the program's name.

The committee is almost certainly going to have Ohio State at 4.  They seem unwilling to put A&M at #4 -- understandable since they haven't looked great -- or put Florida ahead of A&M since there's no real need to until Florida wins out (if they beat Alabama, obviously).

That's been the case for every team this year, and there's been plenty of this by more than just Ohio State. Ohio State blew out every opponent except Indiana, who's currently 8 or 9 depending on what poll you use. Since the Big Ten restarted late they were always going to have less data to comb through, even if they played all 8 games. Would it be easier if they had played 10 games? Definitely! But they weren't going to be able to do that and everyone agreed that they could still be considered for the playoffs despite that. In the end, if Florida wins out, including beating Alabama, they'll be in the playoffs. Ohio State can win out and there's still a good chance they won't be in if they're 6-0 or even 7-0. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I feel it would be a horrible service for the Big Ten to say 'Hey, you need to play six games in order to compete for the conference championship' and then bend over backwards for Ohio State.

They didn't get to six, they are ineligible. End of story.

4 hours ago, See Red said:

Well, it's a rule the B10 just randomly made, so I guess they can just randomly unmake it, too.

Here's the crazy part... If tOSU played and lost this weekend, they'd still be in the championship, based on the tiebreaker. But if they don't play (and the rule stays in place) they're out. Does that seem weird? In with a loss, out if idle?  Ohio State is the B10's cash cow, and the conference's only shot at the playoffs. I'd be pretty surprised if there isn't some kind of deal being cut right now.

25 minutes ago, schlim said:

Would anyone really care if about 16 different teams just self-declared themselves champion this year, ala UCF? College football basically ran this way for well over 100 years, so it's not unprecedented under any terms.

UCF's title is more legitimate than this year's title in my mind.

17 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, it's a rule the B10 just randomly made, so I guess they can just randomly unmake it, too.

Now that's college football.

38 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Here's the crazy part... If tOSU played and lost this weekend, they'd still be in the championship, based on the tiebreaker. But if they don't play (and the rule stays in place) they're out. Does that seem weird? In with a loss, out if idle?  Ohio State is the B10's cash cow, and the conference's only shot at the playoffs. I'd be pretty surprised if there isn't some kind of deal being cut right now.

The ACC already did that by cancelling Notre Dame's last game, why not copy them but change up the homework so no one notices?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

50 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The ACC already did that by cancelling Notre Dame's last game, why not copy them but change up the homework so no one notices?

Although they didn't know it at the time, that game would've had no implication on the ACC Title Game as a 1 loss Notre Dame would still play Clemson as they own the Head-to-Head tiebreaker between themselves, Clemson, and The U (1-0 vs 1-1 vs 0-1). Clemson vs FSU (Which was technically never rescheduled) would've mattered if Miami beats UNC this weekend as Clemson would've needed to beat FSU to be in the title game.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

Although they didn't know it at the time, that game would've had no implication on the ACC Title Game as a 1 loss Notre Dame would still play Clemson as they own the Head-to-Head tiebreaker between themselves, Clemson, and The U (1-0 vs 1-1 vs 0-1). Clemson vs FSU (Which was technically never rescheduled) would've mattered if Miami beats UNC this weekend as Clemson would've needed to beat FSU to be in the title game.

That's the issue though.  It looks like the Big Ten may have a couple more cancellations and that may be enough to find them a game on Saturday. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That's the issue though.  It looks like the Big Ten may have a couple more cancellations and that may be enough to find them a game on Saturday. 

All along, I think the B1G should've allowed teams whose opponents were forced to cancel to play non-conference games that week.

2 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

they should be an FCS team.

They have some hard questions they need to start asking themselves. Just look at the improvements made to the football facilities at other Sun Belt schools. Arkansas State, Troy, and Texas State look totally different just off the top of my head. South Alabama built a whole new stadium (Ladd-Peebles was straight trash).

ULM's stadium was already the worst in the conference and then everybody else made massive upgrades to their facilities. They took their crap stadium and added a sad little building, and that was their big project.

Before:

4sYny4y.jpg

After:

jw6hSC5.jpg

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

They have some hard questions they need to start asking themselves. Just look at the improvements made to the football facilities at other Sun Belt schools. Arkansas State, Troy, and Texas State look totally different just off the top of my head. South Alabama built a whole new stadium (Ladd-Peebles was straight trash).

ULM's stadium was already the worst in the conference and then everybody else made massive upgrades to their facilities. They took their crap stadium and added a sad little building, and that was their big project.

Before:

4sYny4y.jpg

After:

jw6hSC5.jpg

It doesn't help that their conference and state rivals, the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns are doing really well under Billy Napier.

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Ohio State had a COVID-bye (with the other team dealing with the outbreak) to prepare for Indiana.

Indiana lost its starting QB for the year in a week where Ohio State chose to take a bye (and address a sudden outbreak).

My sympathy for Ohio State's current predicament is nil.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived