Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

30 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

You can't take anything like that at face value.

First, the quality of the scan or photograph (as well as the lighting in the case of the latter) will effect the colour.

Secondly? Team logos were curious things back in the day. Newspapers and magazines reprinted them in a variety of shades and colours (sometimes even oriented incorrectly) with little regard to what was "official."

So it can be hard to tell what colour scheme was intended as "correct" short of a team style guide or some near-mint condition official merchandise photographed with neutral lighting. 

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

True.  

But also true that mothership has a whole lotta inaccuracies. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18019083/uni-watch-friday-flashback-chargers-powder-blue

Mothership...let's get the right logo on there.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/3/2018 at 9:58 PM, Ice_Cap said:

The Raiders' branding will remain untouched when they move to Vegas. It's the Raiders. They transcend whatever locale they happen to play in.

I bet Al Davis had/has iron clad legal terms that require it as long as the franchise exists in any form and any location?

9 minutes ago, Placebo said:

I bet Al Davis had/has iron clad legal terms that require it as long as the franchise exists in any form and any location?

Those same documents stipulate that the Raiders have to paint AFL logos in the endzones during every significant NFL anniversary season.

1 hour ago, colortv said:

According to that link? This should the correct colourization (rough edit)

AcLXByR.png

37 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

According to that link? This should the correct colourization (rough edit)

AcLXByR.png

Looks too dark based on the picture of the uniform below, and advertisements posted earlier:

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/795685316346646528/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^795685316346646528&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2Fnfl%2Fstory%2F_%2Fid%2F18019083%2Funi-watch-friday-flashback-chargers-powder-blue

7 hours ago, colortv said:

The game picture is from 1966, when the blue was lighter. And old advertisements are unreliable sources for color.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, colortv said:

The article says 1960 is the only year they wore blue bolts on the helmets.

Might want to read it again:

The bolts were blue for the team's inaugural season in 1960 (and so were the bolts on the blue jersey that year). After changing to gold in 1961, the helmet bolts were blue again in 1966 (but the bolts on the blue jersey stayed gold that time around).

spacer.png

"Things I just noticed"

I've seen the "cHargers" log with that large "H" before...but this is the first time it ever struck me as a depiction of old-school goalposts.  And now that it hit me, I suspect that's what it is.  I guess I never even decided to give the big, different-looking "H" any critical thought before...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

33 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I've seen the "cHargers" log with that large "H" before...but this is the first time it ever struck me as a depiction of old-school goalposts.  And now that it hit me, I suspect that's what it is.

That's exactly what it is.  H-shaped goalposts were still the norm in 1960, and would be for another half-dozen years.

I don't have a ready picture of an AFL field of the era, but this is the 1960 NFL Championship Game at Franklin Field in Philadelphia.

franklin_0_0.jpg

Note also the the posts were on the goal line - they weren't moved to the back of the end zone until 1974.

44 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

"Things I just noticed"

I've seen the "cHargers" log with that large "H" before...but this is the first time it ever struck me as a depiction of old-school goalposts.  And now that it hit me, I suspect that's what it is.  I guess I never even decided to give the big, different-looking "H" any critical thought before...

Unlike the ball-in-glove, I noticed this one right away . . . just like the Houston Oilers.

houston-oilers-vs-dallas-texans-1960-348c742281843d7d0df062b0ba3d16eae39--sports

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That's exactly what it is.  H-shaped goalposts were still the norm in 1960, and would be for another half-dozen years.

I don't have a ready picture of an AFL field of the era, but this is the 1960 NFL Championship Game at Franklin Field in Philadelphia.

franklin_0_0.jpg

Note also the the posts were on the goal line - they weren't moved to the back of the end zone until 1974.

Here is a Bills-Chargers photo from 1960 (but taken in Buffalo) showing H-shaped goalposts --

lowe-10-2-1960.jpg

This is what appears to be a 1964 photo of Balboa Stadium.  It's hard to tell what type of goalposts were used here, but other photos suggest they were two-post cantilevered goalposts instead of the H-shaped ones . . . for what it's worth.

balboastadium1964.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Yeah, by the time of Super Bowl I in 1967 those cantilevered-type posts were common, keeping the crossbar at the goal line but moving the posts back.

super-bowl.jpg

Until that point, the posts themselves were part of the strategy on goal-and-inches plays.  Offensive players would use them almost like another set of blockers.

Chargers will be bigger in LA than they ever were in SD, and once SD fans get over it they will be able to drive the whole two hours to watch the team if they want.

Heck, recent reports indicated than when the Raiders considering getting out of Oakland a year early because of stadium drama Rams and Chargers were blocking SD as an option for the interim year because they consider it their territory.

Archived