Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

3 hours ago, guest23 said:

It's business. If not enough customers like your product to set foot in your store and you can't afford to remodel your store, pack up and hock your wares somewhere else. Repeat until you sell or go broke.

The difference, of course, is that the Chargers were never in any danger of going broke.  They were in the black before they sold even a single ticket.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The difference, of course, is that the Chargers were never in any danger of going broke.  They were in the black before they sold even a single ticket.

The rams were in the black as well. I agree they just were not making enough compared to other franchises therefore ownership felt poor and that they would go broke if they stayed. While my statement was a broad generalization of business, to your point it's almost impossible to lose money on an nfl franchise because you get guaranteed revenue up front.

1 hour ago, d11king said:

In some ways I can understand the decision though. Los Angeles is Los Angeles, and the Rams would’ve overshadowed that entire LA and Southern California market. The moment the Rams came back to LA, and Chargers has to find a way to get here too because they truly would’ve become obsolete. What sucks, is they’re even more obsolete now than had they stayed in San Diego. I saw someone a few replies ago say LA cares about the Rams and Raiders only, and we don’t even do that. LA is very much a fan of whoever the hell you want to be, because we didn’t have a football team for so long, that I know a group of fans of almost every team here (which is why football will work here & why I believe the NFL wanted the Chargers since Raiders were set on Vegas).

Granted, Chargers and Rams may be playing “road games” depending on who they play, but I’d imagine the stadium still being to capacity. The Chargers are almost playing the long game of trying to reel in a new generation of fans who 20-30 years down the line who will associate them with Los Angeles & I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. 

It’s still stupid regardless haha cause LA truly truly truly doesn’t give af about a Charger

I don't even think you can outright claim the rams are definitively the 2nd most popular nfl franchise in LA behind the raiders. When they left in '94 they were irrelevant and playing way down in anaheim to little fanfare. The assumption of a built in fan base because of history is overblown as has tv and the constant influx of transplants who are fans of other teams totally diluted the value of being the home town team. The rams are competing against the cowboys, steelers, giants, and eagles for attention. I hope they have an amazing youth marketing program or are drawing thousands of new to nfl fans because they aren't going to convince anyone over the age of 15 to change their favorite team with that new pilsbury crescent roll logo.

This isn't the Browns moving to Baltimore, or Baltimore moving to Indianapolis in the middle of the night or something like Green Bay moving to Virginia.

This is a team that had arguably the smallest fan base in the NFL that literally moved a whole 120 miles up the road after working for 20 years to get a new stadium, in a situation where there was neither the ability to publicly or privately finance a stadium.

The Raiders? Where did the Raiders come from? They weren't always from LA either. 

If and when the Chargers field a competitive team or get some mega stars, you'll see plenty of support across the whole region including San Diego.

Especially given that they are in the process of revamping the most bland brand in the NFL with what are hopefully some of the best uniforms in sports.

5 minutes ago, colortv said:

This isn't the Browns moving to Baltimore, or Baltimore moving to Indianapolis in the middle of the night or something like Green Bay moving to Virginia.

This is a team that had arguably the smallest fan base in the NFL that literally moved a whole 120 miles up the road after working for 20 years to get a new stadium, in a situation where there was neither the ability to publicly or privately finance a stadium.

I don’t think that’s the defense of the Chargers you think it is. 

Why were they owed a publicly financed stadium, exactly?

5 minutes ago, colortv said:

If and when the Chargers field a competitive team or get some mega stars, you'll see plenty of support across the whole region including San Diego.

I don’t know anyone in San Diego who agrees with you. 

How many St. Louisians were rooting for the Rams in the Super Bowl?

Just now, Gothamite said:

I don’t think that’s the defense of the Chargers you think it is. 

Why were they owed a publicly financed stadium, exactly?

I don’t know anyone in San Diego who agrees with you. 

How many St. Louisians were rooting for the Rams in the Super Bowl?

I never said they were owed a publicly financed stadium, but the reality is a lot of teams in pro sports would have moved if they weren't given a publicly financed stadium.

Are we really going to equate a St. Louis/LA relationship to an LA/SD one? That's apples and oranges.

4 minutes ago, colortv said:

I never said they were owed a publicly financed stadium, but the reality is a lot of teams in pro sports would have moved if they weren't given a publicly financed stadium.

And it’s equally inexcusable in every single instance.  We shouldn’t be excusing them for being scumbags just because other scumbags exist. 

Are we really going to equate a St. Louis/LA relationship to an LA/SD one? That's apples and oranges.

You’re right; the St. Louis/LA relationship is likely more amicable than that of SD/LA, given how people as close as Orange Freaking County bristle at being thought of as part of the LA market. 😛  At least St. Louis isn’t always standing in the shadow of a nearly big sibling.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

And it’s equally inexcusable in every single instance.  We shouldn’t be excusing them for being scumbags just because other scumbags exist. 

You’re right; the St. Louis/LA relationship is likely more amicable than that of SD/LA, given how even people in Orange Freaking County bristle at being thought of as part of the LA market. 😛

Not even true of MOST people in Orange County, I would know given I was born there..

OC bleeds Laker gold.

15 minutes ago, colortv said:

This isn't the Browns moving to Baltimore

Yeah, it's more like if the Browns moved to Pittsburgh and still kept their name and colors.

If and when the Chargers field a competitive team... you'll see plenty of support across the whole region including San Diego.

They already fielded a competitive team in 2018. LA didn't care and San Diego didn't start supporting them again.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

TV ratings for the NFL’s first postseason weekend showed interest in the league remains strong in San Diego, particularly for the Chargers.

Two years after the team moved from its home of 56 years to Los Angeles, the Chargers played their first playoff game in five years. The rating was not as high (of course) as in 2014, but it still earned a strong 30.7 rating and 60 share Sunday in San Diego.

That means about one-third of the nearly 1 million TV households in the county were watching the CBS telecast, and three-fifths of the homes watching TV at the time were tuned in. (Nielsen ratings do not include out-of-home or online viewing.)

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/chargers/sd-sp-chargers-playoff-tv-ratings-san-diego-nfl-20190107-story.html

4 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Yeah, it's more like if the Browns moved to Pittsburgh and still kept their name and colors.

It's not remotely like that, if you're going to act like there's some heated rivalry between LA and SD that's patently false to the point of being an absurd assertion.

The freeway between the two cities is a parking lot on weekends.

Here's the bottom line, if Donald Sterling(arguably the most wretched owner in the history of sports in any way you want to cut it financially, morally etc.) can succeed in LA based purely on the size of the market than anyone can, and the Chargers will. It's simple numbers as mentioned before.

7 minutes ago, colortv said:

Wow, an NFL playoff game got decent ratings? No way!

The Chargers' ratings dropped more than 40% in San Diego during year 1 of the relocation. In year 2, their ratings were slightly better than year 1 but still far below their time in San Diego, despite going 12-4 and having multiple primetime games. I couldn't find any numbers on year 3, but I'm sure they were similarly dismal. San Diego is pretty well done with the Chargers at this point, unless they move back with new owners.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

11 minutes ago, colortv said:

It's not remotely like that, if you're going to act like there's some heated rivalry between LA and SD that's patently false to the point of being an absurd assertion.

Oh, there ABSOLUTELY is a rivalry between San Diego and Los Angeles. It's one-sided, but San Diegans don't tend to be very fond of Los Angeles.

Granted, most of the rest of Cali isn't necessarily fond of Los Angeles, either. 😛

On 4/2/2020 at 9:44 PM, colortv said:

The original Browns were in Cleveland for fifty-two years before moving to Baltimore. The Colts were only in Baltimore for thirty years before moving to Indianapolis. The Chargers had spent fifty-five years in San Diego before moving to LA. They're very comparable.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:09 PM, colortv said:

Here's the bottom line, if Donald Sterling(arguably the most wretched owner in the history of sports in any way you want to cut it financially, morally etc.) can succeed in LA based purely on the size of the market than anyone can, and the Chargers will. It's simple numbers as mentioned before.

If that's your goal? To be the Sterling-era Clippers of the NFL? Well...ok then. Aim for the dirt, I suppose.

9 minutes ago, IceCap said:

If that's your goal? To be the Sterling-era Clippers of the NFL? Well...ok then. Aim for the dirt, I suppose.

A top 10 league ranking in both valuation and attendance by the end of his tenure is dirt?

11 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The original Browns were in Baltimore for fifty-two years before moving to Baltimore. The Colts were only in Baltimore for thirty years before moving to Indianapolis. The Chargers had spent fifty-five years in San Diego before moving to LA. They're very comparable.

If we're talking numbers why not compare distances too? Going to a Chargers game in LA for someone in San Diego is a weekend excursion.

Archived