Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

12 hours ago, colortv said:

To everyone still belly aching about the Chargers move:

The Chargers basically have a market from the Mexican border in the south to Santa Barbara in the North, stretching 230 miles North to South with 20 million people. 

20 million people.

With a brand new stadium being likened to the Death Star.

Um, the Raiders have the Death Star.  Or is this demographic referring to the Raiders?

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Chargers had their fanbase and history; it was in San Diego, not the single year they spent in LA during their time in the AFL. As far as the NFL is concerned, the Chargers have always been San Diego's franchise. They abandoned them to go suck on Kroenke's tit in LA and it's gone about as horrifically badly as anybody with half of a goddamned brain could have predicted from Day 1. Nobody in LA cares about the Chargers, they care about the Rams and Raiders; two franchises that spent significant time in the Los Angeles market, unlike the Chargers.

The Chargers do not belong in Los Angeles. It's that simple. They belong in San Diego.

10 hours ago, doctorpeligro said:

It is a shame that when the Chargers were interested in building something in Mission Valley (a stadium financed with revenues from an adjoining transit-oriented commercial/residential development), the city wasn't interested (to the city's credit, they were dealing with a pension funding crisis).

spacer.png

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/land-use/city-county-left-only-with-general-funds-to-offer-nfl-gods/

I suppose, based on polling and election results, the populace in San Diego has never been interested in a new Chargers venue.  I'm not an expert in California politics, but I wonder if a new San Diego stadium could have been built without a public referendum, the same way the Angels' stadium deals in Anaheim have always been without a public referendum.

No stadiums should ever be built with public money. 

Spanos should have paid for his own damn San Diego stadium. 

34 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The Chargers had their fanbase and history; it was in San Diego, not the single year they spent in LA during their time in the AFL. As far as the NFL is concerned, the Chargers have always been San Diego's franchise. They abandoned them to go suck on Kroenke's tit in LA and it's gone about as horrifically badly as anybody with half of a goddamned brain could have predicted from Day 1. Nobody in LA cares about the Chargers, they care about the Rams and Raiders; two franchises that spent significant time in the Los Angeles market, unlike the Chargers.

The Chargers do not belong in Los Angeles. It's that simple. They belong in San Diego.

In all honesty was the support for the chargers really that strong in sd outside of the die hards? For their last 10+ seasons their attendance was being propped up by the road teams that traveled well which seems to be the operating model for the bottom third of franchises these days. The hard reality is that all of socal is a lukewarm pro football market in terms of live attendance and local support. There are too many competing activities and when you combine that transplants and the myriad of tv options, investing billions in pro football is a risky venture.

Bad ownership can easily make fans lukewarm.

Seattle was rock solid, 30,000+ waiting list for season tickets, then the Nordstoms sold them to a horrible, out of area, owner and that support dried up fast and the team even moved to LA for a split second. Fortunately local hero Paul Allen stepped up, bought the team, and fan support returned in full force.

Chargers need a local hero, like Seattle had, to step up and convince the NFL to force the Spanoses to sell and put the team back in San Diego.

5 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Bad ownership can easily make fans lukewarm.

Seattle was rock solid, 30,000+ waiting list for season tickets, then the Nordstoms sold them to a horrible, out of area, owner and that support dried up fast and the team even moved to LA for a split second. Fortunately local hero Paul Allen stepped up, bought the team, and fan support returned in full force.

Chargers need a local hero, like Seattle had, to step up and convince the NFL to force the Spanoses to sell and put the team back in San Diego.

True. The Washington DC franchise is essentially dead.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

No stadiums should ever be built with public money. 

Spanos should have paid for his own damn San Diego stadium. 

Here is where I I both sort of agree and disagree with that point. Maybe you're correct in regards to stadiums that get used maybe 20 times a year.

But as far as public funding being used in conjunction with team money to build an arena? That's where I disagree. 

Sacramento helped fund a new arena for the Kings. The promise of helping to fund the arena in conjunction with a  new ownership group is what saved the team from the dreary pacific northwest. 

The complete turn around of downtown since the Arena opened has made the investment by the city completely worth it. Previously outside of Kings games Arco was passed up by many events due to being outdated. Especially from a logistical standpoint. Load ins were terrible to do because it only had 1 ramp. Now with a new state of the art facility, concerts and shows make a point to hit Sac instead of skipping over. In turn the development of businesses around the arena, restaurants,  bars, shops has turned a once sprawling area that hit rock bottom at the turn of the century, into a thriving hub for tourists.

It just makes sense in certain areas for the cities to work in tandem with sports franchises, especially if the upside is a revitalized urban area.

It's very possible that the move to Los Angeles eventually proves to be a great financial decision for the ownership group. But who gives a :censored:? We don't watch sports to root for the financial interests of billionaires (literally we do but that's not the intent), we watch because we care about the teams and the cities/areas they represent. 

You don't need to know a damn thing about financing in the NFL to justifiably hate the Chargers leaving San Diego. Obviously there's a more complex debate over whether it was a "sound" decision, I just want to avoid conflating issues. Being a decades-long embarrassment doesn't stop the Knicks from being the most valuable NBA franchise, but good luck defending the Dolans to a Knicks fan. 

It's sad and kinda weird that franchises ditching town is a common practice in the first place, but what are you gonna do?

11 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

It's very possible that the move to Los Angeles eventually proves to be a great financial decision for the ownership group. But who gives a :censored:? We don't watch sports to root for the financial interests of billionaires (literally we do but that's not the intent), we watch because we care about the teams and the cities/areas they represent. 

You don't need to know a damn thing about financing in the NFL to justifiably hate the Chargers leaving San Diego. Obviously there's a more complex debate over whether it was a "sound" decision, I just want to avoid conflating issues. Being a decades-long embarrassment doesn't stop the Knicks from being the most valuable NBA franchise, but good luck defending the Dolans to a Knicks fan. 

It's sad and kinda weird that franchises ditching town is a common practice in the first place, but what are you gonna do?

It's business. If not enough customers like your product to set foot in your store and you can't afford to remodel your store, pack up and hock your wares somewhere else. Repeat until you sell or go broke.

14 minutes ago, guest23 said:

It's business.

Everyone knows. I suppose my larger point is that "it's business" doesn't absolve you of criticism, especially when we are talking about sports, because the customers don't see it as just a business.

As soon as San Diego started feeling comfortable with the idea of building a new stadium in Mission Valley, the Spanos family immediately decided that MV was no longer acceptable and started demanding a downtown stadium instead. Let's not pretend that they ever had any legitimate interest in getting a deal done with San Diego. LA was always their goal and the stadium drama was their excuse to orchestrate an exit.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

22 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Everyone knows. I suppose my larger point is that "it's business" doesn't absolve you of criticism, especially when we are talking about sports, because the customers don't see it as just a business.

I agree there's some sort of civic attachment to pro sports which makes sense psychologically but if you look at the history of professional sports they have always been entertaiment properties and plaything for the rich. It's a shame more clubs/franchises are not owned but non-profits, communities etc. as it would have kept things a tad more quaint. If so, the chargers would still be playing at the murph with chunks of concrete raining down on fans as bolt-man flexed.

Just now, hawk36 said:

Anyone think the Chargers will quietly release their new uniforms the day after the Rams do a full on Hollywood production unveiling? 

Only if the Rams are releasing their uniforms on April 20th. The Chargers have announced they are releasing their uniforms on April 21st.

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

As soon as San Diego started feeling comfortable with the idea of building a new stadium in Mission Valley, the Spanos family immediately decided that MV was no longer acceptable and started demanding a downtown stadium instead. Let's not pretend that they ever had any legitimate interest in getting a deal done with San Diego. LA was always their goal and the stadium drama was their excuse to orchestrate an exit.

In some ways I can understand the decision though. Los Angeles is Los Angeles, and the Rams would’ve overshadowed that entire LA and Southern California market. The moment the Rams came back to LA, and Chargers has to find a way to get here too because they truly would’ve become obsolete. What sucks, is they’re even more obsolete now than had they stayed in San Diego. I saw someone a few replies ago say LA cares about the Rams and Raiders only, and we don’t even do that. LA is very much a fan of whoever the hell you want to be, because we didn’t have a football team for so long, that I know a group of fans of almost every team here (which is why football will work here & why I believe the NFL wanted the Chargers since Raiders were set on Vegas).

Granted, Chargers and Rams may be playing “road games” depending on who they play, but I’d imagine the stadium still being to capacity. The Chargers are almost playing the long game of trying to reel in a new generation of fans who 20-30 years down the line who will associate them with Los Angeles & I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. 

It’s still stupid regardless haha cause LA truly truly truly doesn’t give af about a Charger

21 minutes ago, d11king said:

In some ways I can understand the decision though. Los Angeles is Los Angeles, and the Rams would’ve overshadowed that entire LA and Southern California market. The moment the Rams came back to LA, and Chargers has to find a way to get here too because they truly would’ve become obsolete. What sucks, is they’re even more obsolete now than had they stayed in San Diego.

I disagree. San Diegans have a major little brother complex with LA don't want to have anything to do with them. If anything it would've solidified the support for the Chargers in the San Diego area and created a great rivalry. 

Archived