Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

18 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I think only the Titans, Seahawks, and Lions (new black accents in 2002). Might be missing a couple. Cardinals missed the timing by a year, Patriots missed it by two years. Ravens updated helmet logo the year after their stadium opened. 

The Lions didn't add black until 2003, Ford Field opened in 2002.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yes.  But again, this is a photoshop rendering.  We don't know how accurately it reflects the actual embroidery.

rDNDcYJ.jpg

Looks interesting, though.

The more that I see this I think it belongs on the hood of a pickup truck.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes.  But again, this is a photoshop rendering.  We don't know how accurately it reflects the actual embroidery.

rDNDcYJ.jpg

The horn part is an improvement on this render, but whatever is going on in the face (shadow?) is strange. 

15 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Only to us nerds on this site.

And not to all of us nerds on this site.

That's what I would've thought but over the past few years I've got a number of questions from friends that aren't into design, but know that I am, asking why the Rams uniforms are mismatched. I was pleasantly surprised at how many "lay people" were noticing the issue. I'm not sure they could've pin pointed it but I think a majority knew there was something wrong with the look. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

rDNDcYJ.jpg

I actually like this version better with the gray shading on the face. One thing I didn't like about the head logo originally was the face was just blah, but this helps. 

Just had an epiphany... the face is too fat, use the shadow and remove the rest, this looks much better to my eye. 

RamsHeadSlim.jpg

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I don't mind the shadow (and hey, we get to use Bone again!), but I think removing half the face makes the whole too insubstantial.

I think the whole just looks like he got popped in the jaw and it's swollen. But I'm guessing it's supposed to be the actual face not the skull? I just liked the skull form better that they have in the old school versions. 

Part of the issue, for me, with the Rams' new secondary logo...is the ram head doesn't even have a line for the mouth. It's nose, eyes and...a blob.

spacer.png

Like, just giving the ram a line for a mouth really makes me like the logo a fair bit more. It's not amazing, but it's at least better.

spacer.png

And if you give it a proper eye, I do think it actually looks rather decent in spite of the stupid gradient on the horns. The problem is both the mouth line and eye are just...not there on the official logo. It's so overly-simplified that it looks like someone threw it together in like half an hour before the reveal and skipped over things due to crunch.

Now to test on colored backdrops...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wow, it's almost like adding just the tiniest bit more detail to it makes it look a lot better. I actually really like the eyes+mouth version of it, if I'm honest.

15 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Crazy. I would've sworn those were skulls but you are right. OK, well maybe they SHOULD be a skull. 🙂

Don’t worry, when I was younger playing Madden with legend teams, I always thought it was a skull too. That was the only place I’d seen it at the time, and the scale/resolution of the logo wasn’t always as good on my TV. It wasn’t until I got a better and larger look at it later that I realized it wasn’t a skull at all.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Adding to the hilarity of the Rams' rebrand...

NFL Live literally used the Rams' new logo to refer to the Chargers today, in spite of the Chargers literally just debuting their own new logo. Even professional outlets are :censored:ing up which team this stupid LA logo belongs to, that ain't a good sign your shiny new brand is very good.

31 minutes ago, kutztown said:

It amazes me that all of you can utilize your photoshop skills and improve a logo that was put together by NFL/Rams representatives and "world-class design teams". Would it kill them to use this forum as a focus group!?

All teams should seek this board's help imo.  If not for actual work for opinions at least. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Call it an unpopular opinion if you want, but the Ram head logo is worse than the LA primary. Honestly, the only good ram head they’ve ever had was the previous primary, all the others have been awful

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Adding to the hilarity of the Rams' rebrand...

NFL Live literally used the Rams' new logo to refer to the Chargers today, in spite of the Chargers literally just debuting their own new logo. Even professional outlets are :censored:ing up which team this stupid LA logo belongs to, that ain't a good sign your shiny new brand is very good.

That’s just ESPN being really really lazy. 

A lot of people at ESPN aren’t the brightest. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

26 minutes ago, jn8 said:

Call it an unpopular opinion if you want, but the Ram head logo is worse than the LA primary. Honestly, the only good ram head they’ve ever had was the previous primary, all the others have been awful

I feel this way too.  The real old rams logos look like it's in agony.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

There have been no good Rams logos, ever. Great uniforms, great helmets, great wordmarks, nice color palettes (even the GSOT set had its moment), but whenever they've had to draw a male sheep it's looked like crap.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived