Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

My point is that the whole idea of debuting new unis in a new stadium is kind of dumb if you think about it. I suppose it sounds good in a board meeting, but how many uniform changes have coincided with new stadiums? Very few. Often because stadium construction and uniform change timelines are different and hard to sync up unless you deliberately plan both out- which most teams don't.

Ideally the Rams should have gone with the throwbacks full time once they got back to LA. Then they roll out their new gradient segmented horn uniforms a few years after the new stadium opens. Sure, you don't get to debut new unis in the new building but at least the brand is consistent. The way it's been? It's been haphazard. And I know the gut reaction is to blame the NFL for being inflexible, but that's not reflective of reality.

I have to disagree that it's dumb to debut uniforms in a new stadium.  It just adds to the 'new era' feeling.  A new stadium is a really big deal these days (has been for around 20 years) and it makes sense to try and tie as many things to that as possible.

I will agree that it can be hard to match up the dates, though you can always sit on a new design (which is exactly what the Rams did). 

I also agree that it's all the Rams fault for being in this mess.  They should have just sucked it up and filed the papers for a new uniform right away, and just worn the STL uniforms for a couple of seasons (with the throwbacks as much as would be allowed.)  Sure they would have been in the new uniforms a couple of seasons before the new stadium, but IMO that's better than the other way around, which is what would have happened had they taken the league up on their throwback option.

Another play they could have made was to go with the throwback option, keep their mouths shut for a year, and then :censored: and complain and try to get the exception later, when maybe everyone had calmed down about the move.  Sure, it would have been a gamble and if they lost, it'd be their own fault, but in either case, they were in control of their destiny and made the wrong choice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, hawk36 said:

NFL is 32 teams/owners. You'd think an organization that small could implement some common sense exceptions to their rules. In the end it just made them and the Rams look foolish. No reason for it.  

Only to us nerds on this site.

And not to all of us nerds on this site.

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, guest23 said:

Either way you look at it the commish was pissed that he got strong armed by SK and the JJ secret ballot vote. Once the owners approved the move you bet he was going to handle the relocation by the guidelines and not do the rams any favors. Corporate guidelines are not laws and are frequently excused for exceptions or revised outright when it suits the situation but they are also used to as a cudgel against those that challenge the status quo.

Goodell would have done it out of spite - he was secretly trying for years to keep the Rams from moving.  Far from being a neutral party, he was an active obstacle to Kroenke’s plan.  A plan that made so much sense that the owners eventually overruled their commissioner.

I have zero faith that Goodell would have helped Kroenke in any way.

29 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Goodell would have done it out of spite - he was secretly trying for years to keep the Rams from moving. 

Such a secret that everybody knows about it, right? 😂

So Goodell actively keeps Kroenke from moving, so he's a jerk, but he didn't try to keep Spanos from moving, so he's a jerk. 

Ok. 

37 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

So Goodell actively keeps Kroenke from moving, so he's a jerk, but he didn't try to keep Spanos from moving, so he's a jerk. 

Ok. 

That's nuance for you. 2 different ownership and stadia situations. Goodell thought he knew what was best for the league as a whole but jerry and stan thought otherwise. The San Diego situation was hopeless, you had a reviled cash poor owner that needed public money to stay which was never going to happen.  Goodell actually looks like the smart one here because despite the chargers being the LA laughingstock the rams return has been rather tepid (psl's etc) and the billions in cost overruns are going to put the rams in the red for a long time.

"One team has gotten a moderate reception and the other, which the league tried to force upon the market for years, has been actively rejected. Therefore, the guy in charge looks smart." awright!

Man, imagine if we had gotten the Los Angeles Jaguars like it looked like we would after that year in the financial crisis when practically no one attended a Jaguars game, and they had continued to be a wet fart for the better part of a decade except that one year that no one could score on them. This could have gone much worse.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

"One team has gotten a moderate reception

Oh, but I thought the Rams were the toast of the town, and millions had spent the previous 20 years praying for their return, and they're really LA's team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, guest23 said:

That's nuance for you. 2 different ownership and stadia situations. Goodell thought he knew what was best for the league as a whole but jerry and stan thought otherwise. The San Diego situation was hopeless, you had a reviled cash poor owner that needed public money to stay which was never going to happen.  Goodell actually looks like the smart one here because despite the chargers being the LA laughingstock the rams return has been rather tepid (psl's etc) and the billions in cost overruns are going to put the rams in the red for a long time.

The initial study conducted by Conventions, Sports & Leisure International (a Legends subsidiary) suggested that the market could support $1 billion worth of PSL sales (Rams: $600 million, Chargers: $400 million). When the Chargers stumbled out of the gate with CSL’s suggested pricing, a second study was done and the team’s sales target was lowered to $150 million. But Spanos’ club isn’t even close to reaching that number. Our source said that while the Rams are pushing $500 million in PSL sales, the Chargers have sold just +/- $50 million worth. Executives at the league’s highest levels are said to be concerned.

https://www.si.com/johnwallstreet/sports-business/chargers-psl-sales

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

We didn't learn about it until well into the process, and then only when the St. Louis negotiators thought they could leverage it (and him) by going public.  Whoops. 

Before then, his help was entirely behind the scenes.

I don't know of anyone who blames Goodell particularly, except to the extent that he allowed the Chargers to move in an attempt to blunt Kroenke's new market power.  Afraid of letting Stan have a large market to himself, Goodell and some of the other owners thought that adding a second team would mean an even split of the windfall.  Whoops.

Overall though, we blame Spanos for abandoning his perfectly-good market, as we blame him for all the continued mismanagement of the Chargers.

18 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The initial study conducted by Conventions, Sports & Leisure International (a Legends subsidiary) suggested that the market could support $1 billion worth of PSL sales (Rams: $600 million, Chargers: $400 million). When the Chargers stumbled out of the gate with CSL’s suggested pricing, a second study was done and the team’s sales target was lowered to $150 million. But Spanos’ club isn’t even close to reaching that number. Our source said that while the Rams are pushing $500 million in PSL sales, the Chargers have sold just +/- $50 million worth. Executives at the league’s highest levels are said to be concerned.

https://www.si.com/johnwallstreet/sports-business/chargers-psl-sales

Exactly.  The Rams are LA's team, and the Chargers poor tenants in somebody else's stadium in somebody else's town.

9 hours ago, guest23 said:

The San Diego situation was hopeless, you had a reviled cash poor owner that needed public money to stay which was never going to happen.

Then Spanos isn't rich enough to own an NFL team, and should be encouraged to cash out in favor of someone who is.

But the Spanos family is apparently personable, and other owners personally like them, so they're allowed to fail up.

Agreed with @Gothamite, There is no reason Spanos should even own the team still, he's not NFL rich, everything you see and hear the organization is terribly ran. He and the brain trust thought it would be a good idea to relocated to the market of a former rival, not to mention only move a couple of hours away where you're still marketing to your previous scorned location.  🤡  

#DTWD #GoJaguars

5 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

If you zoom in on the hat, the embroidery looks like the texture of an actual ram’s horn. Looks much better than the gradient. 

Yes.  But again, this is a photoshop rendering.  We don't know how accurately it reflects the actual embroidery.

rDNDcYJ.jpg

Looks interesting, though.

Archived