Miami and Miami

CrimsonBull9584

Why is it that Miami University is always referred to as "Miami U" and the University of Miami is simply called "Miami". What makes this really confusing for me is that the University of Miami is also known as "The U" and they have a "U" on their helmets, whereas Miami University uses an "M". Additionally, I thought it might been because University of Miami played football first, but Miami University's first season was 1888 and University of Miami was much later in 1926. So it's not even a matter of "The U" being first.

So why isn't Miami University known as "Miami" and the University of Miami is known as "Miami U"?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

So why isn't Miami University known as "Miami" and the University of Miami is known as "Miami U"?

Does anyone refer to the University of Michigan as Michigan U?  University of Florida as Florida U?  Can't think of any precedent tbh

The Florida school is referred to just Miami because it is the first school that comes to mind when talking about schools named Miami unless you are from Ohio maybe.  Obviously have "The U" as trendy branding and "UM" as shorthand in South Florida (though it is likely gonna get confused for Michigan in most other locales that don't have anyother "UM")

1 hour ago, Lana_del_Bae said:

Does anyone refer to the University of Michigan as Michigan U?  University of Florida as Florida U?  Can't think of any precedent tbh

The closest thing I can think of is back in the 80's when the Toledo Blade stated that it would refer to the University of Toledo as "TU." The reasoning was that many of the readers referred to UT as "TU" so the paper went with it. No idea if that's still the case today.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Why is it that Miami University is always referred to as "Miami U" and the University of Miami is simply called "Miami". What makes this really confusing for me is that the University of Miami is also known as "The U" and they have a "U" on their helmets, whereas Miami University uses an "M". Additionally, I thought it might been because University of Miami played football first, but Miami University's first season was 1888 and University of Miami was much later in 1926. So it's not even a matter of "The U" being first.

Until Ben Roethlisberger's name began circulating in Heisman talks back in '03, I ain't even know there was a Miami in Ohio. I imagine it's the same for the greater majority of the population outside the Buckeye state. (For the record, there is also a [town named] Miami in Oklahoma, too.)

Also, FWIW,  I've never heard the Ohio institution referred to as "Miami U"; I've always heard it as "Miami of Ohio" (except when in Ohio).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

59 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

What do you mean?

The Miami Hurricanes have claimed 5 NCAA football championships, had two Heisman trophy winners, play in the ACC and are located right next to the city of Miami, which is internationally known. The Miami (OH) Redhawks are more famous for its connection to famous coaches, plays in the MAC, and is named for the Miami Valley, which has a large population, but isn't a widely used moniker.

Miami (OH) or some variant on that is how I've usually seen it. The only place I've ever seen the Ohio one referred to as Miami U was in some of the later NCAA Football games.

I know I've seen Miami (FL) at some point, but they're obviously the one that people think of to start with, so they usually don't get saddled with any extra designation. What really bugs me is seeing Bruce Feldman tweeting about the Hurricanes because he will often just write UM.

What's really annoying is when people just use Ohio when referring to Ohio State, as if there isn't a regular Ohio.

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

The closest thing I can think of is back in the 80's when the Toledo Blade stated that it would refer to the University of Toledo as "TU." The reasoning was that many of the readers referred to UT as "TU" so the paper went with it. No idea if that's still the case today.

Newspapers had been using "TU" for a long time. This one's from 1925:

spacer.png

EDIT: It actually was Toledo University until 1967 when they changed to University of Toledo.

My parents still say "TU", but as far as I can remember it's been UT in the paper, and The Blade currently uses UT.

41 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

What's really annoying is when people just use Ohio when referring to Ohio State, as if there isn't a regular Ohio.

This annoys the crap out of me. And many Ohio State fans tend to leave "State" off of other teams' names as well, Michigan State in particular. So they end up calling Michigan State "Michigan" which is just stupid and confusing.

spacer.png

37 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Newspapers had been using "TU" for a long time. This one's from 1925:

EDIT: It actually was Toledo University until 1967 when they changed to University of Toledo.

My parents still say "TU", but as far as I can remember it's been UT in the paper, and The Blade currently uses UT.

I believe this is the case with at least some of the old Big 8 schools that all use reversed initials. It may not have necessarily been the case for all of them that their old name was [State] University before swapping to University of [State]. University of Kansas as KU, University of Missouri as MU, University of Colorado as CU, etc.

39 minutes ago, burgundy said:

This annoys the crap out of me. And many Ohio State fans tend to leave "State" off of other teams' names as well, Michigan State in particular. So they end up calling Michigan State "Michigan" which is just stupid and confusing.

Hiss and boo to that.

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

The piece in the Blade I was referring to was in the paper almost 40 years ago. There's a better than average chance that I don't remember exactly why it was written. I just remember a article about how the paper was going to refer to UT as TU. I had no idea that UT actually used to be TU.  Good stuff. 

BB52Big.jpg

37 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Ohio’s Miami University is located in Oxford, OH.  I think the Miami part is from a river or something. 

Named after a tribe, which is why they used to have a less-than-okay nickname.

Miami is an Ohio public university. History: Founded in 1809, Miami's name reflects the history of the Native American tribe who once lived in the Miami Valley region of Ohio. Miami maintains strong ties with the Miami Tribe, now located in Oklahoma.

http://www.miamioh.edu/about-miami/quick-facts/index.html

The Oklahoma part intrigued me since the town there was brought up, and according to a glance at Wikipedia:

It is the capital of the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma, after which it is named, the Modoc Tribe of Oklahoma, the Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma, the Peoria Tribe of Indians and the Shawnee Tribe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami,_Oklahoma

I knew the school was named after the tribe beforehand, but this was new to me.

4 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:
41 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Ohio’s Miami University is located in Oxford, OH.  I think the Miami part is from a river or something. 

Named after a tribe, which is why they used to have a less-than-okay nickname.

I thought it might have had something to do with the Miami River in SW Ohio. I stand corrected. Honestly, I couldn't point out Oxford on a map and I'm from Ohio. I think it might be near Dayton, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

BB52Big.jpg

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I thought it might have had something to do with the Miami River in SW Ohio. I stand corrected. Honestly, I couldn't point out Oxford on a map and I'm from Ohio. I think it might be near Dayton, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Being not from Ohio and refusing to google this specific thing after the thirty seconds of googling I did earlier, I'm pretty sure they're in southwest Ohio since they have a historical rivalry with Cincinnati. No idea what that means in relation to Dayton though.

The greatest third baseman ever - Michael Jack Schmidt - is from Dayton.

I have no idea where Dayton is in Ohio.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived