Miami and Miami

CrimsonBull9584

7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Well then. Either somebody lied to me or I made that up. Don't know. Even in my fever dream version of events I mostly assumed they had the backwards initials for branding purposes as mentioned.

Seeing the IUP initial reminds me of the weirdness of IUPUI, aka Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. Are there other examples where there's a school called something like University of Texas-Texas A&M University Dallas?

IUPFW. Don't forget about them. 

They're the only cooperative satellite schools I know of. The rest just tend to be under their state school's umbrella. Even Ohio State is one of 14 state universities in Ohio. But then each university can have its own satellites. All you get things like Kent State-Trumbull or Ohio State-Lima or Ohio U-Chillicothe. But no dual names because they're all under the same University System of Ohio. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, _J_ said:

I mean, at least you dont have Dr. Phil making fun of your school on national TV thinking it's a fake school. I have a masters from Slippery Rock and am going for my doctorate there as well. Thankfully I'm in education so it's well known.

Shocked it doesnt have name recognition still in PA. Then again, I dont know anything east of Shippensburg except I think Kutztown exists and a millersboro.

You're missing out on Blooomsburg, East Stroudsburg and West Chester . . . and Millersville.

One of my favorite weird/confusing names is Pitt-Greensburg . . . a branch campus of a university named for a city, located in (and referred to using the name of) another city.

https://www.greensburg.pitt.edu/

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 1/13/2021 at 10:17 PM, infrared41 said:

Cincinnati is across the Ohio river from Florence, KY which is home to the Minor League Florence Y'alls. Once you get south of Columbus, it's all basically Northern Kentucky. 

BraveBountifulGnat-small.gif

I mean, Cincinnati's airport is over the river in Covington, KY

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

That too. Cincinnati's airport in Kentucky also has the worst boarding system I've ever experienced.

I haven't been there in forever... are they still running busses out on the ramps to board passengers?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

You're missing out on Blooomsburg, East Stroudsburg and West Chester . . . and Millersville.

One of my favorite weird/confusing names is Pitt-Greensburg . . . a branch campus of a university named for a city, located in (and referred to using the name of) another city.

There's also Pitt-Johnstown, Pitt-Bradford and Pitt-Titusville, the official names are University of Pittsburgh at campus location. 

49 minutes ago, Luigi74 said:

There's also Pitt-Johnstown, Pitt-Bradford and Pitt-Titusville, the official names are University of Pittsburgh at campus location. 

I can't believe I forgot about those.  We visited/toured Pitt with my son when he was in high school and they mentioned Johnstown and Greensburg a lot.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

I haven't been there in forever... are they still running busses out on the ramps to board passengers?

Oh no, it's far worse than that. Now they have this thing where a bunch of different flights all line up to go through the same door to get to all the gates. It's a disaster.

BB52Big.jpg

On 1/13/2021 at 9:13 PM, infrared41 said:

Turns out that Miami University is damned near in Indiana. It's north of Cincinnati near the Indiana border. Until today, I thought it was in the wastelands somewhere between Columbus and...well...the rest of Southern Ohio. 

I went to college at Wilberforce University (Xenia, OH) for one year. The fact that Dayton was considered civilization tells how much of nothing was out there. 

On 1/14/2021 at 7:43 AM, leopard88 said:

Agreed.  The script Ohio bothers me since there is an actual Ohio University.

. . . and these shirts don't make it seem like Jesse Owens when to Ohio STATE.

spacer.png

Maybe they wanted to avoid paying by the letter? LOL!!!! A lot of this was the hubris that Ohio State was The best school in Ohio and it took Ohio university taking them to court to pretty much stop them coming up with uniforms that only said Ohio on them. the cheerleaders still wore some version of outfits with Ohio into the 1990's. 

Flag Waving Brutus: Kyle McQuaid, 1987-89 - The Brutus Blog

1987 team

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I got curious and looked it up...as it turns out, in addition to the two named in this thread (Florida and Oklahoma), apparently there are seven additional Miamis scattered across the U.S.: West Virginia, Texas, New Mexico, Missouri (as many times as I've been through this state I never came close to knowing that), Iowa (which now I actually do remember that one), Indiana (missed that one too), and Arizona. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

37 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

1987 team

A mascot should NEVER remove his head.  Ever.

Also - what's up with the garters on the girls' legs?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

IUPFW. Don't forget about them.

I intentionally left them out because they're no longer IPFW. They're now just Purdue-Fort Wayne. I think the change only happened a few years after they changed their branding from IPFW to just going by Fort Wayne in athletics, and now they're branded as Purdue-Fort Wayne.

8 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I wonder how common things like this are. I know UA Little Rock used to have a satellite campus in one of the suburbs, but it's apparently closed down now. Probably because the main community college in the area is now officially part of the UA system and they have campuses in North Little Rock and south Little Rock.

The weirdest one I'm familiar with is within the Arkansas State system. The flagship is in Jonesboro, which is in the northeastern part of the state. They have a satellite campus in Newport, about 20 minutes away. But then that satellite has a satellite back in Jonesboro, so we have ASU-Newport-Jonesboro.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I'm pretty sure that was an 80's Midwest thing. I think it's just the scrunchies for when they needed to put their hair up in a ponytail. the one woman on the far left looks like she's 30. I think that's a case of me knowing she's older than me now or that's just how girls tried to look older back then. 

Also, apparently there's a whole web page of former Brutus' minus their heads. I guess it also answers how many outfits do schools have for mascots when you're dealing with the possibility of football, basketball, wrestling and football all on the same day.

Ohio State - Where Even Cheerleaders Can Ball | Eleven Warriors

OSU Cheerleader Squads Photo Page

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, Luigi74 said:
9 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Several more in Ohio; Akron-Lakewood, Kent St Ashtabula, Kent St East Liverpool, Kent St Salem, and Cincinnati Blue Ash.

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I wonder how common things like this are. I know UA Little Rock used to have a satellite campus in one of the suburbs, but it's apparently closed down now. Probably because the main community college in the area is now officially part of the UA system and they have campuses in North Little Rock and south Little Rock.

I think it's pretty common.  Penn State has like 20ish campuses, which are actually organized into multiple groups that I don't understand and don't feel like spending even 30 seconds trying ("commonwealth campuses", and "college campuses".)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 1/15/2021 at 7:35 PM, BBTV said:

I think it's pretty common.  Penn State has like 20ish campuses, which are actually organized into multiple groups that I don't understand and don't feel like spending even 30 seconds trying ("commonwealth campuses", and "college campuses".)

This is very common (Univ. of Louisiana-Monroe, Univ. of Wisconsin - Oshkosh, Penn State - Lehigh Valley, UC Santa Barbara, Maryland - Eastern Shore, UT San Antonio) and must less confusing.  Branches of the state university are much more logical than University of [CITY] - [OTHER CITY].

On 1/15/2021 at 1:56 PM, BBTV said:

Looking at the hairstyles I'm gonna guess this photo is from the 80's...it was like the wild west of fashion back then. That and Madonna made them popular.

• 1 month later...

Coming back to this because I think I found the Holy Grail of U of City - City names: University of Houston-Victoria at Katy. A satellite college of a university in the U of H system, or in other words, University of City-Another City at Yet Another City!

On 1/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, BBTV said:

I only realized where Cincinnati was a couple of years ago when wondering what river the Reds stadium is near.  Was surprised that it's basically Kentucky.  The Reds really should have turned that stadium around the other way.  Cincinnati doesn't have a notable skyline, but it would be a better view than what they ended up with.

Absolutely not. I realize I'm responding to a post that is over a month old, but you don't know what you're talking about. It has a phenomenal view. The view of the river with the bridges and rolling hills from the upper levels of GABP is great, maybe a top 5 "view" of any ballpark. Especially at sunset. Occasionally you'll see one of the old river boats float by and a barge or two. It's quite representative of the city and the city's history too. It would've been an awful decision if they'd pointed the stadium in the other direction, especially because they'd just spent 30 years playing in a stadium right on the river that blocked all river views. 

On 1/14/2021 at 7:15 AM, tBBP said:

I don't know about that one...granted, somebody done crashed down in the lower deck of the I-71/75 bridge into Cincinnati a couple months back and dang near burnt the thing down in the process so you wouldn't be able to see it now from that angle, but I think it might be one of the more picturesque skylines in the U.S.

Really there's like 3 skylines in the world that are decipherable from another out there so maybe it's not "notable", but coming down the hill on 71, especially at night, when the city rises up out of nowhere is pretty cool. Picturesque is a good word. The way the highway is situated hides it from view until you hit that curve and it provides for an impactful sight. I don't ever get tired of it. 

On 1/15/2021 at 3:19 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I went to college at Wilberforce University (Xenia, OH) for one year. The fact that Dayton was considered civilization tells how much of nothing was out there. 

Maybe they wanted to avoid paying by the letter? LOL!!!! A lot of this was the hubris that Ohio State was The best school in Ohio and it took Ohio university taking them to court to pretty much stop them coming up with uniforms that only said Ohio on them. the cheerleaders still wore some version of outfits with Ohio into the 1990's. 

1987 team

That was such typical Ohio State big brother bullcrap. They basically told Ohio University (my alma mater) that we couldn't trademark a logo with "Ohio" in it because they'd always used Ohio and Ohio State interchangeably in the past and it would infringe on some of their traditions (and money making opportunities). It's the name of the state and our school! You don't get to own the name of the state, you turds!

History repeated itself recently when OSU tried to trademark the word THE.

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 minutes ago, Sport said:

Really there's like 3 skylines in the world that are decipherable from another out there so maybe it's not "notable", but coming down the hill on 71, especially at night, when the city rises up out of nowhere is pretty cool. Picturesque is a good word. The way the highway is situated hides it from view until you hit that curve and it provides for an impactful sight. I don't ever get tired of it. 

Pittsburgh is like this if you come in from the south/southwest on I-376.  You can't see the city at all until you emerge from the Fort Pitt tunnel and then -- BAM!!! -- the city is right in front of you.

spacer.png

Archived