College Football 2021 - Logos & Uniforms

6 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Smh. By that logic they should just change to a different mascot then since Ducks are a pretty vulnerable animal.

Not a :censored: but I’m sure the rest of the animal kingdom is just as fearful about ducks due to being traumatized by the Canadian goose. Anyways they shouldn’t wear it as just being another example of submitting to their Nike overlords and wearing a design not representative of the team but of Nike.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Dude...if you're going to troll like that, you gotta use the right .gif. 

Behold...

OldfashionedIncompatibleCarp-size_restri

And this is coming from a Florida State fan... 🤦‍♂️

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 10/23/2021 at 3:29 PM, GoGreenGoWhite said:

108023547_original.jpg?1295895332

Gotta disagree with you there. I don't think there's anything special about that Vick set. The contrasting shoulder numbers are cool though.

I like Virginia Tech with their maroon helmets with white/maroon/orange/maroon/white stripes.

It's been around 15 years since nike brought all over patterns to uniforms via sublimation and helmets via hydroskin (3rd party) via the army alts (feel free to correct for accuracy). I really don't see anything that interesting about these uniforms other than they haven't checked the eggshell box yet but it seems very ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ from a design standpoint. As others have pointed out as well that nike has used speckles in their product since the at least the late 80's with the white jordan 4's so overall this set may be fashionable for the moment, but in terms of creativity or innovation it is very lacking.

11 minutes ago, guest23 said:

It's been around 15 years since nike brought all over patterns to uniforms via sublimation and helmets via hydroskin (3rd party) via the army alts (feel free to correct for accuracy). I really don't see anything that interesting about these uniforms other than they haven't checked the eggshell box yet but it seems very ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ from a design standpoint. As others have pointed out as well that nike has used speckles in their product since the at least the late 80's with the white jordan 4's so overall this set may be fashionable for the moment, but in terms of creativity or innovation it is very lacking.

TCU frogskin 

23 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Lol, sooooo original. I see someone’s still a little salty from that 2015 beatdown, huh?

spacer.png

Doesn't need to be original. Just needs to be true.

Nothing to be salty about. My team has trophies in their case.

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

A friend of mine said that Oregon's uniform looked like the players hit the field while the grass was still getting cut, and the players all got splattered in lawn clippings.

Oreo crumbs still in the milk

58 minutes ago, FSUViking said:

Doesn't need to be original. Just needs to be true.

Nothing to be salty about. My team has trophies in their case.

My team has trophies, too. National championship trophies? No, but eight conference titles, four BCS/NY6/CFP wins, and two Natty appearances since 2000 (most of that coming after 2010) is a pretty good record and a lot more success than most programs in the country over that span. Whether people like it or not, a lot of that success can be attributed to the the flashy uniforms and the role they played in Oregon becoming a household name in the CFB landscape.  

Take a team like UCLA, which has some of the most classic uniforms in college football and has worn some version of those duds for most of their history. How many Nat’l championships do they have? One, and that was way back in 1954. How about a team like Notre Dame, which also has some of the most iconic uniforms in the sport? They have a bunch of championships but none of them have come in the last 30 years. Their success over the last 20 or so years is pretty comparable to Oregon, and even they’ve experimented with a bunch of alternate looks because they know the power they can have in recruiting. 

It’s lazy and unoriginal and also the first “gotcha” joke any non-Oregon fan tries to lob our way. Fine by me, I’ll gladly take my program over yours when mine is actually nationally relevant today and will be for years to come. Embarrassing your team in 2015 was pretty sweet, too.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

32 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

My team has trophies, too. National championship trophies? No, but eight conference titles, four BCS/NY6/CFP wins, and two Natty appearances since 2000 (most of that coming after 2010) is a pretty good record and a lot more success than most programs in the country over that span. Whether people like it or not, a lot of that success can be attributed to the the flashy uniforms and the role they played in Oregon becoming a household name in the CFB landscape.  

Take a team like UCLA, which has some of the most classic uniforms in college football and has worn some version of those duds for most of their history. How many Nat’l championships do they have? One, and that was way back in 1954. How about a team like Notre Dame, which also has some of the most iconic uniforms in the sport? They have a bunch of championships but none of them have come in the last 30 years. Their success over the last 20 or so years is pretty comparable to Oregon, and even they’ve experimented with a bunch of alternate looks because they know the power they can have in recruiting. 

It’s lazy and unoriginal and also the first “gotcha” joke any non-Oregon fan tries to lobby our way. Fine by us, and I’ll gladly take my program over yours when mine is actually nationally relevant today and will be for years to come. Embarrassing your team in 2015 was pretty sweet, too.

You’re a fool if you think uniforms are anywhere close to being a top reason why a player may be recruited to a school. I get you’re an Oregon Stan and will defend them to the death but come on. They didn’t start recruiting good until they started performing, and that came from coaching, having some of if not the most state of the art training facilities paid for by Nike. There’s also academics (I know a lot think they are good enough they can get to the nfl without a degree, but it still plays a roll in a lot of peoples decision), historical success, recent success, incentives, area, if the program has a history of sending players to the NFL. There are so many more important reasons to a college kid to be recruited to a school having a few cool uniforms (that every team has now except for Alabama really) isn’t even going to be on their radar.

49 minutes ago, dont care said:

You’re a fool if you think uniforms are anywhere close to being a top reason why a player may be recruited to a school. I get you’re an Oregon Stan and will defend them to the death but come on. They didn’t start recruiting good until they started performing, and that came from coaching, having some of if not the most state of the art training facilities paid for by Nike. There’s also academics (I know a lot think they are good enough they can get to the nfl without a degree, but it still plays a roll in a lot of peoples decision), historical success, recent success, incentives, area, if the program has a history of sending players to the NFL. There are so many more important reasons to a college kid to be recruited to a school having a few cool uniforms (that every team has now except for Alabama really) isn’t even going to be on their radar.

totally agree, there a ton of other reasons why recruits pick the schools they go to. Facilities, coaches, academics, program success, etc. I’d say you’re the fool if you actually believe that uniforms aren’t a factor in recruiting, though, and weren’t a significant factor in Oregon becoming a household name in CFB. I get you dislike all things Oregon and will be a contrarian for the sake of it when it comes to the Ducks, but come on. Just look at the part that I bolded, why do you think all those schools have all those uniforms? How many of those schools had all those uniforms before, say, 2009? I definitely don’t think that uniforms are the top reason why recruits look at and/or pick schools, but it’s naive to think that it’s not one of the reasons. In any case, no reason to derail this thread. Not like any of us are gonna change the others’ minds anyways.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

13 hours ago, upperV03 said:

totally agree, there a ton of other reasons why recruits pick the schools they go to. Facilities, coaches, academics, program success, etc. I’d say you’re the fool if you actually believe that uniforms aren’t a factor in recruiting, though, and weren’t a significant factor in Oregon becoming a household name in CFB. I get you dislike all things Oregon and will be a contrarian for the sake of it when it comes to the Ducks, but come on. Just look at the part that I bolded, why do you think all those schools have all those uniforms? How many of those schools had all those uniforms before, say, 2009? I definitely don’t think that uniforms are the top reason why recruits look at and/or pick schools, but it’s naive to think that it’s not one of the reasons. In any case, no reason to derail this thread. Not like any of us are gonna change the others’ minds anyways.

Uniforms aren't even a top 5 and it's be rehashed here many times over. Oregon is  a classic case of the media and casual fans being distracted by the optics of new uniforms and branding coinciding with a massive capital investment made by phil knight and other donors to build out the programs infrastructure to meet and exceed that of national powers. The marketing genius of nike to leverage the public's tendency to conflate correlation and causation allowed them to trade on this myth that schools need flashy nike uniforms to attract the recruits.

Just by doing a cursory analysis, in the bcs/playoff era the vast majority of the perennial contenders are traditional powers with traditional uniforms (most of the time) that have huge alumni bases and significant financial resources to invest in football. Oregon is a true outlier on the uniform front.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

Uniforms aren't even a top 5 and it's be rehashed here many times over. Oregon is  a classic case of the media and casual fans being distracted by the optics of new uniforms and branding coinciding with a massive capital investment made by phil knight and other donors to build out the programs infrastructure to meet and exceed that of national powers. The marketing genius of nike to leverage the public's tendency to conflate correlation and causation allowed them to trade on this myth that schools need flashy nike uniforms to attract the recruits.

Just by doing a cursory analysis, in the bcs/playoff era the vast majority of the perennial contenders are traditional powers with traditional uniforms (most of the time) that have huge alumni bases and significant financial resources to invest in football. Oregon is a true outlier on the uniform front.

Uniforms might not be a top 5 reason, especially now that flashy uniforms are ubiquitous. That said, the uniforms can and often will attract the eyes of recruits, which might impact their recruiting decision in some way. Will it ultimately be the factor that persuades them to go to one school over the other? Very unlikely, but it might be one factor that makes that player feel interested in that program in the first place.

For Oregon, obviously the most significant reason for their success in this century has been Phil Knight (and some other donors) and the massive capital investment into the program and athletic dept. When they did the rebrand in 1998, it was the result of Phil Knight wanting to increase the national relevance of the program. It coincided with the increased capital investment, but the uniforms also became the face of the program over the course of the 2000’s and still into today. Obviously most recruits back then and today likely chose Oregon because of the other factors that have already been mentioned, but I’m 100% confident in saying the uniforms played a role in those recruits being interested in the program and maybe even ultimately pushing them towards the Ducks. 

Did the uniforms play a role in the Ducks becoming a household name in CFB? Absolutely. 

Did the Ducks’ uniforms also a play a role in other schools pumping out alternate helmets, special uniforms, etc? Absolutely. 

Do uniforms ultimately persuade recruits to go to a certain school? Unlikely, but they might help attract the eyes of a recruit in the first place. 

Are uniforms an indicator of a program’s success? Absolutely not, and like you say most of the schools that have played in BCS/CFP games have been the traditional powers with more traditional uniforms. That said, even some of those traditional powers have experimented with alternate looks because they know it’s eye candy that can attract the eyes of recruits and something that’s not gonna hurt their recruiting in any way (and obviously they can sell the jerseys, too). 

That’s the last thing I’m gonna say on the matter. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Uniforms might not be a top 5 reason, especially now that flashy uniforms are ubiquitous. That said, the uniforms can and often will attract the eyes of recruits, which might impact their recruiting decision in some way. Will it ultimately be the factor that persuades them to go to one school over the other? Very unlikely, but it might be one factor that makes that player feel interested in that program in the first place.

For Oregon, obviously the most significant reason for their success in this century has been Phil Knight (and some other donors) and the massive capital investment into the program and athletic dept. When they did the rebrand in 1998, it was the result of Phil Knight wanting to increase the national relevance of the program. It coincided with the increased capital investment, but the uniforms also became the face of the program over the course of the 2000’s and still into today. Obviously most recruits back then and today likely chose Oregon because of the other factors that have already been mentioned, but I’m 100% confident in saying the uniforms played a role in those recruits being interested in the program and maybe even ultimately pushing them towards the Ducks. 

Did the uniforms play a role in the Ducks becoming a household name in CFB? Absolutely. 

Did the Ducks’ uniforms also a play a role in other schools pumping out alternate helmets, special uniforms, etc? Absolutely. 

Do uniforms ultimately persuade recruits to go to a certain school? Unlikely, but they might help attract the eyes of a recruit in the first place. 

Are uniforms an indicator of a program’s success? Absolutely not, and like you say most of the schools that have played in BCS/CFP games have been the traditional powers with more traditional uniforms. That said, even some of those traditional powers have experimented with alternate looks because they know it’s eye candy that can attract the eyes of recruits and something that’s not gonna hurt their recruiting in any way (and obviously they can sell the jerseys, too). 

That’s the last thing I’m gonna say on the matter. 

To summarize, the modern uniforms have made the ducks more popular across the media landscape because it gives people something to talk about.

50 minutes ago, guest23 said:

To summarize, the modern uniforms have made the ducks more popular across the media landscape because it gives people something to talk about.

I mean… yeah? It does give people something to talk about, including recruits. That’s kinda the whole point. As I said before, maybe it’s not THE reason why a recruit picks the Ducks (or any other school with flashy uniforms), but it just might garner their attention and make them consider a school or look at a school. And it might even play a role, even some minor role, in them picking that school. It’d be foolish to suggest otherwise, especially so with the Ducks in the 2000’s and 2010’s and even still today (albeit not as significant now as it was back then). 

Anyways, moving on to the here and now. The Ducks are having their second and final “wear yellow” game of the season this week, so I think it’s likely that they wear the yellow jerseys again. My guess would be black/yellow/black or black/yellow/yellow. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived