College Football 2021 - Logos & Uniforms

49 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

A chain or rope stripe would look great on those pants. It’s a little *too* minimal as is.

It’s also probably cheaper to rent a baseball stadium out-of-season than a football amusement park in-season. If you’re not filling up AT&T, it’s probably not worth the expense, and I’m not sure how many people are going to line up for a random Army vs. Air Force game.

If the game were in San Antonio, there's enough veterans from both stadiums to get close to a sellout, since the stadium has 40,000 less seats. Especially when ITT sells discounted tickets and you can hand out freebies to the trainees from both services stationed there. In Arlington, you're not going to get that same turnout though, so using the new ballpark makes sense. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

If the game were in San Antonio, there's enough veterans from both stadiums to get close to a sellout, since the stadium has 40,000 less seats. Especially when ITT sells discounted tickets and you can hand out freebies to the trainees from both services stationed there. In Arlington, you're not going to get that same turnout though, so using the new ballpark makes sense. 

I think they'd get buses and fill it up. Army Navy will pack them in anywhere because of the names and the brand.  I think they stay on the east coast so they can bus all the nonplaying cadets over. 

Just now, walkerws said:

I think they'd get buses and fill it up. Army Navy will pack them in anywhere because of the names and the brand.  I think they stay on the east coast so they can bus all the nonplaying cadets over. 

And the required hotel space to fit them all. I'd love to see them play in San Diego once the new stadium gets built, but it'd probably be against another big name since the seating numbers won't be as many as when Jack Murphy Stadium was there. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, sleuthpanther said:

Sometimes college football stinks, MSU vs Purdue all white vs all black. Put sparty in green helmets and green pants vs Purdue in gold helmets and pants and we have an excellent matchup but nooooo

I hear ya, I posted a few years ago that Full Stormtrooper v Full Vader was going to be a staple of CFB. And it is. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I thought Oregon/Washington was a really nice looking matchup. Neither team in their best look, but ample use of school colors on both sides and nice balance with both teams in monochrome jerseys and pants with contrasting helmets:
spacer.png

ASU/USC, on the other hand, was a complete eyesore. I already didn’t like ASU’s gold jerseys because of the metallic gold accents, but then they decided to go all-gold against the worst possible opponent in the Trojans:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 11/5/2021 at 3:00 PM, MJWalker45 said:

And the required hotel space to fit them all. I'd love to see them play in San Diego once the new stadium gets built, but it'd probably be against another big name since the seating numbers won't be as many as when Jack Murphy Stadium was there. 

I’d like to see Army–Navy play in Soldier Field in Chicago since I was a little too young to remember the last time they played there. Plus it’s a good central location for Midwestern military and vets, there’s a Naval station nearby, and the stadium is not so huge that it wouldn’t sell out.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

51 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

I’d like to see Army–Navy play in Soldier Field in Chicago since I was a little too young to remember the last time they played there. Plus it’s a good central location for Midwestern military and vets, there’s a Naval station nearby, and the stadium is not so huge that it wouldn’t sell out.

You don’t have to worry about an army navy game selling out. But I really wouldn’t want cadets and midshipmen flooding Chicago, being dumb and getting themselves into serious trouble.

6 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

Sometimes college football stinks, MSU vs Purdue all white vs all black. Put sparty in green helmets and green pants vs Purdue in gold helmets and pants and we have an excellent matchup but nooooo

The camo logos are even worse.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, MJWalker45 said:

They had 32,537 in attendance which isnt bad for a game not located near either school. You're right that if it was in San Antonio they could probably fill the Alamodome

On 11/7/2021 at 1:21 PM, dont care said:

You don’t have to worry about an army navy game selling out. But I really wouldn’t want cadets and midshipmen flooding Chicago, being dumb and getting themselves into serious trouble.

A flood of dumb and drunk cadets and midshipmen actually makes the streets of Chicago safer than they are on any given night...

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Sorry, this is a week late, but I had a  busy week last week and was not able to post. 

A couple of years ago, as I have done every game since he was a kid, I asked the young man who sits below me at LSU's Tiger Stadium a trivia question .  I asked him, "what is the only SEC football team that I have not seen in person"?  After he went through about half of the SEC teams, I told him that it was a trick question, and I was including not just the current SEC teams, but also former SEC teams.  Knowing I attended Georgia Tech and live in New Orleans, he then correctly answered Sewanee/ University of the South, a school which was a founding member of the SEC in the 1930s, but left the SEC after only eight years.

Well, on October 30th as LSU had a bye week,  I took a trip up to Jackson, Mississippi and crossed that last team off my list. The Sewanee Tigers were in town to play the Millsaps Majors.  To me, it was more like a high school game in terms of size (I've played HS soccer in bigger stadiums), but it was a fun experience nonetheless. 
FToZHHC.jpg
It was a pretty nice day (once the sun came out) and a pretty fun game to watch. I sat for the most part on the Sewanee side, and noticed after awhile that all of their fans were just parents and family of players (Come on, Tyler!! Let's go #22! Aw Billy, you can do better than that!).   As there weren't many rows of seating and it wasn't that loud, I heard a lot of cursing and f-bombs from the field -- players and coaches alike (Now THAT'S the way to f---n' play football!!! That call was complete bull---t, ref!). 

The game experience was kind of amateurish  and cheesy, but in an endearing way; the pep band would be playing at the same time the press box person was playing music, for example.  
n5FwbmL.jpg

Some neat points about logos and unis:
249321792_5001722306522280_6724498595908

The teams wore virtually perfect reversed uniform combos: Millsaps was white helmets, purple jerseys, and white pants, while Sewanee went purple helmets, white jerseys and purple pants.  Millsaps' helmets had numbers on one side and  their "M" logo  with a sword on the other.  Rather than a stripe up the middle, they used a sword with the hilt/handle at the back. 
250976541_6308739969196846_6284309246786

Didn't get a good shot of Sewanee's helmets, but they  looked like this.  Matte purple with a metallic gold Tiger head in profile.  Basic,  but nice and different from anything I've seen for a team called "tigers".
spacer.png

In the seating area were pennants with the Majors' oak leaf cluster logo. I remember they used to use these on their helmets back in the 1980s.   I think it's a cool image to use for a team with that rather unusual name.
NvBxO4r.jpg

In one end zone, they had flags for all the schools in their conference. However, the person in charge of putting these up must not have been paying attention, and put up Centre College's flag upside-down:
4jc8qeJ.jpg
Hey, at least the first two letters were okay...

It is what it is.

Archived