2021 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVI

canzman

17 hours ago, PhlyBoy said:

Watching the game last night got me thinking... Do you think when Vegas host the Super Bowl that they will use real grass? Or will they use the artificial turf like they did for all of the bowl games? 

The do use natural grass for their games. They have a rolling platform similar to Arizona that allows the grass to be rolled outside for off days. The stadium  does use artificial turf on the bottom layer for college football. You can read more about here. But to answer your question, I believe when they host the Super Bowl, they will indeed play on thenatural grass. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, Cujo said:

Ah, you chimed in during my edit. The 'Hawks definitely have a shot of being around for a while. Perhaps down the road they'll simplify the unis, remove the chest stripes and remove the that ridiculous/unnecessary giant sticker going down the middle of their helmet. You can hardly see it and when visible it seems so unnecessary.

I never understood why the decals connect at the back of the helmet and point down instead of up like the logo does.

6 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

spacer.png

For what these are, I can actually stomach these. The blue tops and socks offset the off-white--but this looks far better in artificial light than natural sunlight, where you can barely make out the yellow sol (oh, the irony).

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

USATSI_15414567.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

https://images2.minutemediacdn.com/image/fetch/w_2000,h_2000,c_fit/https:%2F%2Framblinfan.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2017%2F07%2F17172011.jpeg

I won't go as far as saying these are awesome, but they're okay, again, foe what they are. They need the off-white socks though. All that said, the gradient fade is gonna cause this to look dated and stale in probably two years' time.

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

rams-gurley-matthews.jpg?quality=90&stri

hi-res-158030689_crop_exact.jpg?w=1200&h

20171001115003.jpg

9748288-nfl-los-angeles-rams-at-seattle-

I'm still trying to forget this whole experiment ever happened. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Maybe devolved. Also how does it look dated lol

For one, the heat-pressed local-sporting-goods-store-default-font numbers.

Also in 2022, the sleeve horns look silly, and the old helmet horn doesn't look good with the newer wacky helmets.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, nuordr said:

The do use natural grass for their games. They have a rolling platform similar to Arizona that allows the grass to be rolled outside for off days. The stadium  does use artificial turf on the bottom layer for college football. You can read more about here. But to answer your question, I believe when they host the Super Bowl, they will indeed play on the natural turf. 

spacer.png

Why do we anticipate them to use turf for the Super Bowl? Arizona has used the grass when hosting the Super Bowl. 

14 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Royal jerseys, navy helmets. Extremely dated and cheap looking

Yes, and all they needed to do was update the helmet colour to match the jerseys. That's it.

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

For one, the heat-pressed local-sporting-goods-store-default-font numbers.

I'll take standard block over gradient numbers made of fruit roll up.

15 hours ago, VikWings said:

I never understood why the decals connect at the back of the helmet and point down instead of up like the logo does.

Because they're solving for two different design problems.

Seattle-Seahawks-Logo.png

On the logo it has to terminate somewhere, but you don't just want the abrupt straight cutoff that the old logo has. Pointing upwards and at angle gives it motion and implies forward momentum - unlike the old logo that is stagnant and still.

Seattle-Seahawks-Logo-1976.png

Pointing upwards on the northwest corner also gives it good balance with the downward point on the opposite corner. 

(*waits for some annoying contrarian to tell me the old version is better.*)

The logo was originally designed for the helmet and on the helmet it's supposed to mimic a bird from a totem pole. Birds on totem poles connect in the back and wrap around to the other side. A football helmet is a slightly different equation, though, and has some real world constraints to be a thing a person can wear on their head. They have 3 options here: 1. they can connect the two decals in a straight line, Jacksonville Bulls style, but to me that is the least dynamic option and doesn't give you the movement you get with the logo treatment. 2. They could have the point go up like it does on the logo, which would've been fine, but I think you want everything on a helmet to "face forward" and a point moving in the opposite direction of the logo and the tapered stripe on the front would compete with it (whether that tapered stripe is even necessary is another discussion. Personally I'd rip those off and never use them again). 3. You do what they did, which means every piece on the helmet flows in the same direction, front to back, and gives the logo the impression that it's striking forward. 

ws8ilmdsayktsbrspaxc.jpg

In both applications I think they made the right choice. You'll remember that for decades it didn't connect in the back, even though it was clearly intended to, and that was always deeply irritating to me. 

49ers-Seahawks-1999-005.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, darthjocan said:

Lot of orange then, which will play nice against the Raiders. 

It's also the closest they can get to looking like the 1990 Bengals in their last playoff win so I'm a fan of that choice. 

c387e008-9c91-479e-afe0-dd3eeacfdc3a-the

PvO6ZWJ.png

For anybody that listens to The Athletic's NFL Podcast, they had former Chief OT Mitch Schwartz on for the mailbag today and he talked for a bit about socks in the NFL. The conversation starts a little before the halfway mark of today's episode. An interesting conversation to hear from a player's perspective. 

21 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Surprised they are going with this combo when they went 0-1 this season wearing it

I really don't know who in the building makes these decisions, but this group of players seems very unbothered by superstition. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived