Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Didn't see this posted anywhere, and if it is already, I apologize.

The Charlotte Knights unveiled their new unis this weekend.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140322&content_id=69868544&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t494&sid=t494

Uniform_full_xw8o06yf_xju17kzi.jpg

• quyvf.St.138.jpeg

• 1667RW.St.138.jpeg

• 40sIY.St.138.jpeg

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/22/4785537/new-knights-uniforms.html

Everything's sublimated. Nothing's sewn on. Wow, that's cheap.

Cheaper than sewn, yes. But from my (little) experience working in MiLB, the players prefer that material and style of jersey overall.

The Rochester Red Wings (AAA Minnesota Twins affiliate) unveiled their new 2014 uniforms today:

New_Unies_2014_0p02l4sx_u4fpudet.jpg

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140328&content_id=70312384&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t534&sid=t534&tcid=fb_article_70312384

The road jersey (with block "ROCHESTER") remains unchanged, and has been used since 2008. The home uni (white) and Sunday/BP jersey (black) are new. Although I'm not really sold on the new black jersey, I love the new home uni. Simple, modern, classic. A definite upgrade from their last set!

As an aside, myself and other members of the Rochester Baseball Historical Society (RochesterBaseballHistory.org) contributed the historical jerseys for the backdrop.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the way the "B" and the "L" interlock, but that's about it. Rest of it feels substandard.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yankees Staten Island and Blasters Joplin? Those are strange names for sports teams!

Although there is this thing called Artistic License, which allows us to sometimes bend certain rules in the name of design, this license does not grant us permission to completely ignore syntax (in short, the rules of proper grammar). Putting the geographical designation of a sports team below the nickname, as was done in these two cases, is simply poor planning, and laziness, on the part of the designers. If you are creating an identity for a team named the Staten Island Yankees or the Joplin Blasters, you know the hierarchy of the verbiage before ever putting pencil to paper, and it is your job to design accordingly.

That got?

Yankees Staten Island and Blasters Joplin? Those are strange names for sports teams!

Although there is this thing called Artistic License, which allows us to sometimes bend certain rules in the name of design, this license does not grant us permission to completely ignore syntax (in short, the rules of proper grammar). Putting the geographical designation of a sports team below the nickname, as was done in these two cases, is simply poor planning, and laziness, on the part of the designers. If you are creating an identity for a team named the Staten Island Yankees or the Joplin Blasters, you know the hierarchy of the verbiage before ever putting pencil to paper, and it is your job to design accordingly.

That got?

I don't find it the least bit distracting or out of place.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

That got?

Nice rant, but these are logos, not sentences. There is really no need to over think the so-called grammar. Anyone who is a fan of American sports would easily know that location is spoken before the mascot. If someone doesn't know that, they are likely not a sports fan and thus not the target audience here, so their confusion wouldn't matter. These two are also hardly the first teams to do this.

Since we already analyzed the hierarchy of verbiage here, let's analyze the aesthetics and composition, which is really what logos are all about. If you look at the Staten Island Yankees, where else should they place "Staten Island"? You have a tall capital "Y" and a tall lower case "k", with three stars between them. These letters already make the logo top heavy to the left. Should the place "Staten Island" in the top left making it even more top heavy to the left? That would be a bad idea. Should they cram the twelve letters in "Staten Island" over the three letters "ees" in "Yankees"? That cram job would look really terrible. Should they center "Staten Island" over "Yankees" leaving an awkward gap between the "ees" and the letters above it? That would look a little strange too. I'd say they put "Staten Island" in the best possible place aesthetically speaking, which just happens to be under "Yankees", giving company to the tail of the Y down there.

Good logos need good composition. We could break down the Joplin logo now too, but I think we all get the point.

Kenosha Kingfish of the Northwoods has a winner on their alternate/road jersey contest. Were asking for artistic students from local area middle schools and high schools.

Not the final product, may be some changes, but here's the winner's entry (If you want to see a bunch of the entries they are on the Kingfish's Facebook page) :

1912094_753851334625857_983364689_n.jpg

Here's the mascot:

ScottSchutzPhoto41.jpg

• Like 1

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

The Norwich, CT-based Connecticut Tigers - Class A New York-Penn League affiliate of the Detroit Tigers - have unveiled a pair of new alternate marks.

CT_Tigers_Alternate_Logos_edited_1_onfg5

Both logos depict team mascot C.T. the Tiger. Amongst the symbolic touches gracing the second mark: a rose-shaped patch on the jersey sleeve which pays homage to the City of Norwich being known as the "Rose City", four stripes on C.T.'s left arm signifying the Detroit Tigers' four World Series titles, and eight spikes on the mascot's left cleat representing the eight counties within the State of Connecticut.

The marks were designed by Brandiose.

I don't care what Brandiose says, that blotch on the sleeve is not a rose.

Marks aren't bad otherwise, though.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Now, this is a story all about how

the State College Spikes' unis got flipped, turned upside-down ...

Or, well, about how they will get turned upside-down, on June 29. That's when the St. Louis Cardinals' Class A affiliate will wear jerseys carrying a "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" theme, to celebrate the appearance of actor-director Alfonso Ribeiro, who played Carlton on the Will Smith-starring 1990s sitcom.

The jerseys will be auctioned during the game, with proceeds benefiting the Children's Miracle Network.

BmAoA34CQAA-4JN.jpg

Everything Above Is From ESPN.com http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/10834658/st-louis-cardinals-minor-league-affiliate-wear-fresh-prince-bel-air-jerseys

JeKhnr9.png

• 2 weeks later...