USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

28 minutes ago, Cruhawk7975 said:

TBH given the relatively niche market that Spring pro football is, I think a merger between both leagues is not inevitable but the most likely optimal outcome just from a market consolidation perspective. Would love to see a unified nationwide 16 team league form from it at some point.  

Especially if they can get an agreement with the NFL similar to what was used for WLAF/NFL Europe where teams can send backup players out to get more reps. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/31/2023 at 1:34 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Especially if they can get an agreement with the NFL similar to what was used for WLAF/NFL Europe where teams can send backup players out to get more reps. 

That would be great IMO, especially if it was say a 16-team league where each team had ties to 1 NFC team and 1 AFC to take on a certain # of players from each team on the roster. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruhawk7975 said:

That would be great IMO, especially if it was say a 16-team league where each team had ties to 1 NFC team and 1 AFC to take on a certain # of players from each team on the roster. 

I think you'd see a 12-14 team league to start if there's a merger. Houston is only getting one team. Philly or NJ is going to be on ice if they're forced too early to find a home for both.

Hypothetical:

Pittsburgh (in Canton)

Michigan

DC

Orlando

Memphis

St. Louis

Birmingham

Houston

Arlington

San Antonio

Las Vegas

Seattle

You'd lose Philly and New Jersey without homes. You'd lose the Gamblers (most likely). You'd lose New Orleans who doesn't yet have a home but would be a good addition if they did.

21 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I think you'd see a 12-14 team league to start if there's a merger. Houston is only getting one team. Philly or NJ is going to be on ice if they're forced too early to find a home for both.

Hypothetical:

Pittsburgh (in Canton)

Michigan

DC

Orlando

Memphis

St. Louis

Birmingham

Houston

Arlington

San Antonio

Las Vegas

Seattle

You'd lose Philly and New Jersey without homes. You'd lose the Gamblers (most likely). You'd lose New Orleans who doesn't yet have a home but would be a good addition if they did.

If the Breakers were to find a home in 2024, it would probably be Yulman Stadium at Tulane.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cruhawk7975 said:

This right here has always been my bucket list setup...each minor league team associated with a nearby by NFC and AFC team. For example Tampa and Miami with a team in Orlando, Jacksonville and Atlanta in Birmingham, etc.

I don't know that a "farm system" affiliation would really work for the NFL—especially considering that big-time CFB pretty much is the league's farm system. It would, however, be nice to have a "AAA"-ish football league going, which these two spring leagues pretty much are at the moment. (By the way, worth mentioning that as much sarcastic shade as spring football gets regarding finishing a season, one of the two actually did, had its championship game, and is about to start its second season.)

Regarding consolidation, I think if anything the USFL will be absorbed by the XFL, just simply due to that bag 💰 shared between Dany and Dwayne. Some teams would probably be shuffled around (like one of the two Houston teams), but as some have said, a 16-team spring league would be neat.

That said, though...we don't need to see any more spring teams in Vegas. That experiment ain't working...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 4/2/2023 at 11:54 AM, Cruhawk7975 said:

You mean like this one that would involve copious relocations?

EAST
Birmingham Stallions (Dolphins, Cowboys)
Hartford Generals (Patriots, Eagles)
Norfolk Defenders (Bills, Washington)
Raleigh Breakers (Jets, Giants)

NORTH
Columbus Panthers (Bengals, Lions)
Milwaukee Maulers (Steelers, Packers)
Omaha Renegades (Browns, Bears)
St. Louis Battlehawks (Ravens, Vikings)

SOUTH
Louisville Gamblers (Colts, Panthers)
Memphis Showboats (Titans, Falcons)
Orlando Guardians (Jaguars, Buccaneers)
San Antonio Brahmas (Texans, Saints)

WEST
Oklahoma Roughnecks (Chiefs, Cardinals)
Portland Sea Dragons (Raiders, Seahawks)
Salt Lake Stars (Broncos, 49ers)

San Diego Vipers (Chargers, Rams)

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, SpidersReorg said:

You mean like this one that would involve copious relocations?

EAST
Birmingham Stallions (Dolphins, Cowboys)
Hartford Generals (Patriots, Eagles)
Norfolk Defenders (Bills, Washington)
Raleigh Breakers (Jets, Giants)

NORTH
Columbus Panthers (Bengals, Lions)
Milwaukee Maulers (Steelers, Packers)
Omaha Renegades (Browns, Bears)
St. Louis Battlehawks (Ravens, Vikings)

SOUTH
Louisville Gamblers (Colts, Panthers)
Memphis Showboats (Titans, Falcons)
Orlando Guardians (Jaguars, Buccaneers)
San Antonio Brahmas (Texans, Saints)

WEST
Oklahoma Roughnecks (Chiefs, Cardinals)
Portland Sea Dragons (Raiders, Seahawks)
Salt Lake Stars (Broncos, 49ers)

San Diego Vipers (Chargers, Rams)

I don't see any reason to move Arlington, Seattle, DC, and Houston, since we're still dealing with a spring/summer league setup. I also don't think we'd see the Panthers moved to Ohio when they are already in a good stadium setup. Pittsburgh staying in Canton is more likely than moving to Milwaukee where they'd be playing in a baseball stadium instead of a bespoke football stadium. 

I also think for allocating players, they'd use the model from the end of NFL Europe where the players were placed in a pool and divvied out to the teams. It only makes sense to assign NFL teams to each team if you make them run similar playbooks. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 4/3/2023 at 9:18 AM, tBBP said:

I don't know that a "farm system" affiliation would really work for the NFL—especially considering that big-time CFB pretty much is the league's farm system. It would, however, be nice to have a "AAA"-ish football league going, which these two spring leagues pretty much are at the moment. (By the way, worth mentioning that as much sarcastic shade as spring football gets regarding finishing a season, one of the two actually did, had its championship game, and is about to start its second season.)

Regarding consolidation, I think if anything the USFL will be absorbed by the XFL, just simply due to that bag 💰 shared between Dany and Dwayne. Some teams would probably be shuffled around (like one of the two Houston teams), but as some have said, a 16-team spring league would be neat.

That said, though...we don't need to see any more spring teams in Vegas. That experiment ain't working...

Spring football in Vegas especially isn’t working now with the NFL in town. As a matter of fact, the Vipers’ venue issues are pretty much due to the Raiders taking the best non-Allegiant option (Sam Boyd) off the table.

Edited by DustDevil61
Spelling Allegiant

"Hello, Pittsburgh residents, or as we like to call ourselves, 'Yinzers!' Just one of your favorite local sports teams enjoying a night out, watching one of your other favorite local sports teams! Black and yellow, bay-bee!"

https://twitter.com/USFLMaulers/status/1645761026917318656?s=19

• WOAH 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

6 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

"Hello, Pittsburgh residents, or as we like to call ourselves, 'Yinzers!' Just one of your favorite local sports teams enjoying a night out, watching one of your other favorite local sports teams! Black and yellow, bay-bee!"

Somebody coordinated this with the wrong team and they couldn't get the arrangements undone, so they said to hell with it.  Or the Pirates told them to go to hell, which is also plausible.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

52 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

So Pittsburgh got Clevejacked?

• Applause 3
  • LOL 3
  • WOAH 1

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

I'm all for the necessity of the USFL and XFL taking to alternative, lower-cost geographic arrangements as a means of survival. But this Canton-based Pittsburgh team arrangement is super awkward.

It's already awkward to represent a city in which they've never played. But it looks like they're now marketing themselves directly to a rival — but geographically closer — city to drum up attendance. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm all for the necessity of the USFL and XFL taking to alternative, lower-cost geographic arrangements as a means of survival. But this Canton-based Pittsburgh team arrangement is super awkward.

It's already awkward to represent a city in which they've never played. But it looks like they're now marketing themselves directly to a rival — but geographically closer — city to drum up attendance. 

Pittcancleve Maulers

• LOL 1

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

So the USFL's Maulers (who call themselves Pittsburgh) who's colors match those of the Steelers, decide to promote themselves in a city who's NFL team and fans of said team hates the Steelers with a passion by attending a baseball game in Cleveland, home of said Steelers rival, the Browns.

How does that make any sense?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

How does that make any sense?

On the surface it doesn't, but Cleveland is only one hour from Canton, as opposed to being a two-hour drive from Pittsburgh. I'm sure they're just trying to build some interest in the hopes that they can fill a couple seats in Canton. 

I don't know if they're doing any marketing in Pittsburgh, but it seems just as tall of an order to convince fans to drive two hours to support a team that appears to be yours in name only. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

On the surface it doesn't, but Cleveland is only one hour from Canton, as opposed to being a two-hour drive from Pittsburgh. I'm sure they're just trying to build some interest in the hopes that they can fill a couple seats in Canton. 

I don't know if they're doing any marketing in Pittsburgh, but it seems just as tall of an order to convince fans to drive two hours to support a team that appears to be yours in name only. 

This would make naming them "Pittsburgh" even more ridiculous. "Let's put this team in Canton and appeal to the fans in Cleveland by naming them Pittsburgh".

• Yawn 1