MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

40 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

Also, the new 4th of July holiday caps just leaked, and holy cow maybe we can just start settling for a patch or something each year. These should never see the field. I'm usually ok with whatever they release for holidays, but these aren't it.

So the old NE Revolution logo found new employment as a hat?

Yikes that’s bad. These are hats I can hear, and I hear Toby Keith. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

I've always associated the Ortiz speech uniforms with the Patriot Day/Boston Marathon commemoration for the Red Sox. I wish they weren't dropped, design-wise they are fantastic, and it is what I immediately connect to those events.

I don't think they've been dropped... I think the last couple years they've worn the City Connect in the weekend leading up to the Marathon, but then they wore the "Boston" regulars on Marathon Monday proper. But either way it does speak to one of the issues, that the team had this special jersey connected to the Marathon -- one that had a rare origin story that was endearingly un-focus-grouped in the modern time and wasn't driven by commerce -- and now they've made a second Marathon alternate. You can only wear one on Marathon Day! 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, adsarebad said:

I assume by branding the poster means more money. I am not sure.

But Anaheim Angels sounds better than Los Angeles Angels.

And Angeles means angels..... so it's  Angels Angels.... great!

And LA already have a team. People in LA are Dodger fans.

So what exactly are they doing, how can this help the team in any way?

Los Angeles Angels is better than Anaheim Angels.

The Los Angeles MSA includes Orange County. I see no problem with the Angels using Los Angeles, there's more than enough people in the MSA and the greater Los Angeles area to share the with the name with the Dodgers. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, adsarebad said:

But Anaheim Angels sounds better than Los Angeles Angels.

No.  A thousand times no.  Fundamentally no.

The best name is California Angels.  (And, no, that does not imply that the Angels are the only team in the state, any more than a city name implies that a given team is the only team in that city.)

The next best choice is Los Angeles Angels, which was the team's original name, and was a longstanding name in the PCL.  

The name Anaheim Angels is terrible, and is unfit for Major League Baseball.  It should never have happened, and should certainly never return.

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

No.  A thousand times no.  Fundamentally no.

The best name is California Angels.  (And, no, that does not imply that the Angels are the only team in the state, any more than a city name implies that a given team is the only team in that city.)

The next best choice is Los Angeles Angels, which was the team's original name, and was a longstanding name in the PCL.  

The name Anaheim Angels is terrible, and is unfit for Major League Baseball.  It should never have happened, and should certainly never return.

Disagree there. California should never been used for a professional sports team name here, same with the Golden State name.

1) Los Angeles

2) Anaheim

Those are the only two options. 

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

What makes it unfit?  Seems like if it was unfit for Major League Baseball, the Commissioner of Baseball would have prevented it from happening. 

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 6/6/2022 at 3:58 PM, DCarp1231 said:

I guess to make this more of a City Connect uniform, they probably should’ve placed “City of” overtop the Angels wordmark 

Wow.   It wasn't until reading this that I realized just how much the Angels AGAIN refused to take any side in their identity and connect to no city as they went with a vague local idea that covers the entire region but avoids any specific reference to one municipality.   They're the Angels Angels of Angels.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:21 PM, guest23 said:

How do you show a connection to a city more than the classic navy red sox cap already does???

4d230a0d960bb6d97fb9c29f08bcef00--mlb-merchandise-trucker-hats.jpgs-l640.jpg

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Also, the new 4th of July holiday caps just leaked, and holy cow maybe we can just start settling for a patch or something each year. These should never see the field. I'm usually ok with whatever they release for holidays, but these aren't it.

I think it's my age that is doing this, but... I don't... hate these.   It's a bubbling nostalgia of the kind of trucker hat I'd expect to see on the 4th in the 90's.   I hear Bruce Springsteen in my head.   I see fireworks the night sky.

It's one of those instances where my head says this is an atrocity, but my heart kinda enjoys it, even from a "this is so goofy and stupid that it makes me smile" way.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The best name is California Angels.  (And, no, that does not imply that the Angels are the only team in the state, any more than a city name implies that a given team is the only team in that city.

I agree with this. Some of this may purely be for nostalgic reasons. They may not have won anything under that name, but those early to mid-'80s Angels had some impressive lineups.

The initial shift away from California, I presume, was intended partly to remove some of the vagueness from its brand and apply it to a specific locale. Then the shift to Los Angeles was an attempt to attach itself more directly to the lucrative L.A. market. But it doesn't really seem as if any of those moves led to any meaningful gain, so at this point, why not go back to California? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I think it's my age that is doing this, but... I don't... hate these.   I's a bubbling nostalgia of the kind of trucker hat I'd expect to see on the 4th in the 90's.   I hear Bruce Springsteen in my head.   I see fireworks the night sky.

It's one of those instances where my head says this is an atrocity, but my heart kinda enjoys it, even from a "this is so goofy and stupid that it makes me smile" way.

I like these, my ONLY gripe is why isn't the Phillies P red.

I would even consider getting one if it was, these are alot better than "Flag pattern inside logo" approach they usually do. I still hear whiny people out there call this flag desecration, but at this point its not since its more or less its own pattern and they just want to crap on these no matter what.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:
2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The name Anaheim Angels is terrible, and is unfit for Major League Baseball.

What makes it unfit?

What makes it unfit is the fact that Anaheim is not a major city, but is in fact a mid-sized city located within the metropolitan area of one of the most important cities in the world. For that reason, if the team is going to have the name of the city, that city should be Los Angeles.

Several teams play outside the boundaries of the city for which they are named, such as the Dallas Cowboys, and (most pertinently) the Los Angeles Rams, who played in very same stadium as the Angels. The Los Angeles Angels fit into this category.

What's more, never forget that the name Los Angeles Angels came about more then fifty years before the name Los Angeles Dodgers, and dates back to the early 20th century.

Still, the repeat of the word "angel" does tend to give the name Los Angeles Angels a bit of an awkward feel. This is why the ideal name is California Angels.

And, again, we must regard as nonsense any complaints about the team "claiming" the state. In reality, there is no implication of exclusivity in the use of any locality name, be it a city name or a state name. 

So I give the name California Angels an exemplary A+, and I give the name Los Angeles Angels a passable C; while the name Anaheim Angels gets the lowest possible failing grade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

I've always associated the Ortiz speech uniforms with the Patriot Day/Boston Marathon commemoration for the Red Sox. I wish they weren't dropped, design-wise they are fantastic, and it is what I immediately connect to those events. I don't hate the current yellow/blue set though. I think it was a clearer design connection to the event and unique, but obviously the fanbase doesn't (understandably) like it. 

David Ortiz bobblehead: Red Sox cancel after uproar - Sports Illustrated

They still wear that uniform on the anniversary, they did last year anyways

52 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

What makes it unfit is the fact that Anaheim is not a major city, but is in fact a mid-sized city located within the metropolitan area of one of the most important cities in the world. For that reason, if the team is going to have the name of the city, that city should be Los Angeles.

Anaheim has a bigger population than Cincinnati, St Louis, and Pittsburgh and isn't too far behind Oakland.  Would Orange County Angels be more "fit" for MLB?  If a city name like Anaheim can do just fine in another major professional sport, why can't it work for baseball? 

The Los Angeles Angels PCL team didn't play in Anaheim. They played in Los Angeles County. 

And saying "We must consider nonsense any complaints about the team claiming the state" is just a terrible argument. I'm not considering those complaints nonsense. They're incredibly valid...I'm sorry you have don't have a counterargument against those complaints otherwise you wouldn't write them off as if you were some arbiter. 

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Wow.   It wasn't until reading this that I realized just how much the Angels AGAIN refused to take any side in their identity and connect to no city as they went with a vague local idea that covers the entire region but avoids any specific reference to one municipality.   They're the Angels Angels of Angels.

4d230a0d960bb6d97fb9c29f08bcef00--mlb-merchandise-trucker-hats.jpgs-l640.jpg

This design is not tasteful. Does that make it more or less accurate representation of the city?

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Anaheim has a bigger population than...

Anaheim's raw population is beside the point. The issue is Anaheim's being within the metropolitan avenue of another city of far greater importance.

10 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

And saying "We must consider nonsense any complaints about the team claiming the state" is just a terrible argument. I'm not considering those complaints nonsense. They're incredibly valid. 

To explain once again why those claims are not valid: the use of any locality name is not an assertion of exclusivity. So, a team with a state locality name sitting alongside teams with locality names of cities within that same state makes just as much sense as more than one team having the same locality name, a situation to which no one objects

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

And saying "We must consider nonsense any complaints about the team claiming the state" is just a terrible argument. I'm not considering those complaints nonsense. They're incredibly valid...I'm sorry you have don't have a counterargument against those complaints otherwise you wouldn't write them off as if you were some arbiter. 

There are three reasons a team is allowed to go with a state name.

1. They want to claim multiple close markets and don't want to step on any toes and represent everyone.   Minnesota Twins invented this.   The Florida Marlins, Golden State Warriors, and California Angels followed suit.   Tampa Bay isn't a state but all those teams do the same.

2. They have a huge market and want to tap into regional pride rather than just claiming one small municipality within it.   Carolina Panthers/Hurricanes, Arizona Cardinals/Diamondbacks, New England Patriots/Revolution

3. It works with the team name to represent something that inspired the name.   Texas Rangers, Colorado Rockies, New Jersey Devils

Angels do fall firmly in 1.   I think their leaning into Hollywood culture is as silly as what the Miami GP did with marketing when the closest water is a brown, fetid canal.   Their best self is just leaning into their team identity rather than trying to claim LA.   I prefer Anaheim, but California should be the only other option.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I agree with this. Some of this may purely be for nostalgic reasons. They may not have won anything under that name, but those early to mid-'80s Angels had some impressive lineups.

The initial shift away from California, I presume, was intended partly to remove some of the vagueness from its brand and apply it to a specific locale. Then the shift to Los Angeles was an attempt to attach itself more directly to the lucrative L.A. market. But it doesn't really seem as if any of those moves led to any meaningful gain, so at this point, why not go back to California? 

I believe they dropped california and took the anaheim designator as part of the agreement for the city to renovate the stadium. This was also during the disney era when they had a branding initiative to expand their footprint in the city and effectively rebrand the entire city as "disney anaheim resort". I believe there was also talks at some point to create train line between the stadium and the park to create a resort corridor. Obviously that never materialized. moreno inherited the agreement but leveraged the fact that anaheim only had to be in the team name, not a specific name hence the of anaheim.

This whole nonsense comes down to tv and advertisers. moreno made his money in the ad business and technically he's right in terms of how the area is officially defined as the Greater Los Angeles CSA aka Los Angeles - Long Beach - Anaheim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Los_Angeles