USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

sky1324

On 11/19/2022 at 8:38 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

What happened with the original USFL has no bearing on this.

It does in terms of how strong the original USFL team's brands are/were and whether or not its worth it  for the new USFL to revive.

My first quote about the Michigan Panthers was also referring to the current iteration of the team (Even though the original Michigan Panthers were well supported and actually won the first league title)  Meanwhile in this past USFL season, the panthers were also reported to have good local TV ratings among the current USFL teams despite a 2-8 season. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, SwavyTree said:

The showboats have one of my all time favourite color schemes.  That alone gets my attention for their team.  Hopefully they have a few former Georgia players so I can have a rooting interest

They are not going to have any red because the USFL realized that they already have too much red in their league.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's disappointing. The purple and orange was something unique and while I know nothing says Pittsburgh like black and gold, I'll miss what they had. Hopefully the uniforms stay at least somewhat close to what they had. Those were excellent.

• Like 6

the user formerly known as cdclt

I feel like i'm in the minority....

but if you're going to pretend to throw back to a league with branding, either go all in or not at all. None of this half ass stuff. The Pittsburgh Maulers were a purple and orange team! Same story with Memphis! You made your bed to tribute the USFL and now you're changing it. It would've been better off just doing a whole new identity. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 3

6 minutes ago, raysox said:

but if you're going to pretend to throw back to a league with branding, either go all in or not at all. None of this half ass stuff. The Pittsburgh Maulers were a purple and orange team! Same story with Memphis! You made your bed to tribute the USFL and now you're changing it. It would've been better off just doing a whole new identity. 

I agree with this for the most part. I agree that having Pittsburgh switch to black and yellow is moving backwards when they want to create a league that feeds off nostalgia. It may look better, but defeats the purpose of creating that retro image. Even then I'm fine with the Showboats switching colors, as the league was oversaturated with red teams.

Moving forward the league needs to identify if they want to retain the original-era identities or create new ones. I don't think that they can establish a cohesive league identity when some are looking to the past and others are looking to the future.

39 minutes ago, raysox said:

I agree. Plus, there’s a reason this team didn’t adopt black and gold in the ‘80s: They can’t pretend to be the Steelers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raysox said:

The reason for the Memphis color change was the league realized that it had too many teams that wore red.  Stars, Generals, Stallions, Gamblers and Bandits all have red as either their helmets or jersey or both.  

18 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The reason for the Memphis color change was the league realized that it had too many teams that wore red.  Stars, Generals, Stallions, Gamblers and Bandits all have red as either their helmets or jersey or both.  

Which is fair enough, but they were replacing a red/black team and just ditched a unique color scheme today. If they wanted to have more colors they should have started fresh or brought back Washington or San Antonio

• Like 4

As much as I want the USFL to succeed, this whole thing feels a little to "try hard" for my liking.  I appreciate the effort to want to connect with Pittsburgh sports fans, but if I'm local, it has to ring a little hollow for a team that will have gone two seasons without playing a game in Pittsburgh to have earned a place in this lineup. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, raysox said:

Which is fair enough, but they were replacing a red/black team and just ditched a unique color scheme today. If they wanted to have more colors they should have started fresh or brought back Washington or San Antonio

they could have also moved the Showboats to another city, giving them the nickname "Riverboats" and giving them that color scheme.  

• Dislike 1

12 hours ago, CDCLT said:

That's disappointing. The purple and orange was something unique and while I know nothing says Pittsburgh like black and gold, I'll miss what they had. Hopefully the uniforms stay at least somewhat close to what they had. Those were excellent.

I am very, very disappointed in the direction they took with this.  As you said, the purple, orange and gray was very unique.  Now they look generic.  In fact, if they go with a black helmet, they are going to  scream "Steelers Knock-off".  Outside of hard-core Pittsburgh fans, not sure if this is going to resonate with anyone outside the steel city.

The original Maulers had a great look and the 2.0 ruined it by going with a metallic day-glow purple instead of the original darker purple that looked so sharp.  Then they brought orange out even more, with heavy numeral outlines and yolks in orange.  The 2.0 version was an eyesore, granted, but could've easily been fixed without sacrificing the unique brand identity.  Now, they just look like bastardized ripoffs.  FAIL.

And it's a real WTF head-scratcher when you realize that in December they took further steps to revive the Federals, Invaders and Gold...the Gold had the same color scheme Pitt now has. 

• Like 5

Several thoughts:

1. As a classic USFL diehard I am against changing team colors at all.  It's fine to modernize the logos and for the most part the new USFL has done a good job of it, but I am watching out of love for the real USFL and the more they deviate from that the less interesting I find it.   That and the new Memphis logo is not as cool as the original.

2.  I cannot believe they are going with a black helmet, single yellow stripe, and grey facemask for the Maulers.  How will the Steelers not sue or cease & desist them for such a blatant ripoff.  If you are going to go black and gold, at least mix it up and use a metallic gold, or even a yellow helmet to not look like a cheap imitation of the Steelers. 

3. There was no need to change from Red & Silver for Memphis because Memphis was replacing the Red & Silver Bandits.  You end up with the same number of red teams as last year.  So now you have 1 less red team but after converting Pittsburgh you have added another black helmet team, so again less color variation. 

4. None of it really matters until all 8 teams (hopefully 12 next year) are playing in their home cities.  Call them Pittsburgh if you want, but they are playing in Canton, OH. 

• Like 5