USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

sky1324

11 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

Could always use a Gold jersey like the Gotham Knights in The Dark Knight, filmed in Heinz Field. That was a good balance of the colors, and could work 

tumblr_m506f7oRJA1qcqty6o1_500.jpg

Y'know what... they aren't as bad as I remember them being. In fact, I like them. And the Maulers already have a similar pattern on their uniforms. A simple color swap would be enough to achieve a similar look. This also shows gray is a good third color and would help them look a little different from the rest of the Pittsburgh pack (which the Pirates failed at when they brought in red as a third color in the late 90's for some reason).

• Like 4

oBIgzrL.png

On 1/27/2023 at 12:35 PM, maz said:

tumblr_m506f7oRJA1qcqty6o1_500.jpg

Y'know what... they aren't as bad as I remember them being. In fact, I like them. And the Maulers already have a similar pattern on their uniforms. A simple color swap would be enough to achieve a similar look. This also shows gray is a good third color and would help them look a little different from the rest of the Pittsburgh pack (which the Pirates failed at when they brought in red as a third color in the late 90's for some reason).

Wow, someone beat me to the silver/gray thing, but I didn't even think about this great example.  That uniform is actually very nice.

I think to keep true to Pittsburgh cookie-cutter colors, yet have their own slant on them, silver or gray (preferably gray) would work very well with the Maulers set AND it would actually keep a link to their team history as it's already been an established color in both the 1.0 and 2.0a sets.

I'd like to see gray in the background of the logo instead of the stark white...it would also serve to separate them from the Steelers more.  One  thing I hated about the 2.0a set was the ridiculously heavy number outlines...I really hope they tone them back or remove them completely.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 6:02 PM, LogoFan said:

They were my favorite.  VERY sharp.

Ditto.  Those were great uniforms.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 1 month later...

Teams are reporting to training camp over the next day or so, so we should expect the uniform reveals for the Maulers and Showboats within the next few days.  If we have to wait until actual games are played, then what the hell is the holdup on revealing them?

• Yawn 1

29 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Teams are reporting to training camp over the next day or so, so we should expect the uniform reveals for the Maulers and Showboats within the next few days.  If we have to wait until actual games are played, then what the hell is the holdup on revealing them?

Probably getting all of the actual players in to show them off this time? 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, GDAWG said:

They only need a few players to show off the uniforms, not everybody. 

True. Is it possible we'll be seeing a new uniform provider, ala Nike, adidas or someone else? That could explain not showing anything as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If it's not a new uniform provider and both teams only need a few players to show off these new uniforms, what else would the holdups be?  I do think we won't get that far and they will be revealed within the next several days.  

• Yawn 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:34 AM, Silver_Star said:

Let the yinzers be yinzers. They will cry to high hell.

I'm a yinzer. I never cried to high hell or any other level of hell about using black and yellow/gold. I like that our teams are unique in using the same colors - which are the colors in the Pittsburgh flag. It always made sense to me to use the colors that are in the city's flag. Despite that, I loved the original Maulers uniforms and I'm old enough to remember when they played. I even bought their merch when I was a kid. I do remember there was a bit of a push back on using purple and orange back then. I'm not a fan of the new design since I prefer traditional striping but I did like the colors.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 3:34 PM, LogoFan said:

Wow, someone beat me to the silver/gray thing, but I didn't even think about this great example.  That uniform is actually very nice.

I think to keep true to Pittsburgh cookie-cutter colors, yet have their own slant on them, silver or gray (preferably gray) would work very well with the Maulers set AND it would actually keep a link to their team history as it's already been an established color in both the 1.0 and 2.0a sets.

I'd like to see gray in the background of the logo instead of the stark white...it would also serve to separate them from the Steelers more.  One  thing I hated about the 2.0a set was the ridiculously heavy number outlines...I really hope they tone them back or remove them completely.

The Penguins incorporated gray in their uniforms from 1996 - 2000. I wasn't offended by that as much as I was the hideous humming bird logo and goofy imbalanced striping patterns.

spacer.png

Grey works extremely well with Black & Yellow-Gold.  Really, it works well with Black and any other medium bright hue.  Added Anthracite to my alma mater who is Black & Yellow-Gold; I basically got crucified for it because “iT IzNt a tEAm CuLleR” but it looked fantastic.  

10 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Maulers Boogie Roberts has leaked a part of the helmet and what is likely the team's practice jersey 

DJHZkMc.jpg

I like that they're using gray facemasks, for no other reason than it sets them apart from the Steelers.

But in terms of playing look-a-like, they don't do themselves any favors by keeping the roundel logo on the helmet. (Just watch: they'll only place it on one side of the helmet.)

If they were already going to break from tradition by losing the purple and orange, I'd like to see them take it a step further by relegating the roundel to a sleeve patch. I'd like to see what the crossed-hammers secondary would look like on the side of the helmet. Or maybe even something more inventive, like a wraparound design where the helmet's handle starts from the back with the hammerhead closer to the front. 

Anyway, I realize I tend to always want to see some sort of immersive helmet designs from these alt-leagues, especially as an alternative to slapping a round sticker onto the side. 

While I am slightly annoyed that the Maulers have moved away from their 1980's color scheme, just as I am for the Showboats, what I think is a bigger issue is the decision to go with a black helmet and a single yellow stripe on it.  When you mix that with the round logo, you end up with something that looks like "Steelers light".  

But what could Pittsburgh do?

1. Go with a yellow helmet?

2. Go with no stripe on the helmet, or perhaps a grey stripe with some rivets to look like metal. 

3. Go with a yellow jersey, maybe with a black yoke, like the Gotham image.

4. As @Gosox317 wrote, go with two crossed hammers on the helmet, or put the Mauler guy inside a keystone shape instead of a 

roundel. 

5. Use black and grey as dominant colors and use the yellow sparingly.

6. Go back to purple and orange (I know this won't happen, but I still want it.)

• Like 4