USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

sky1324

58 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

That's a great point. 

I think having two spring leagues will really test the theory that there's an abundance of talent just waiting for a shot. 

The XFL just took two of their QB's in Luis Perez and Kyle Sloter.  Now they were technically free agents because they had been released by NFL teams but there were indications that they were returning to the USFL.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WideRight said:

If they wanted to diversify colors they should have moved the Bandits to Orlando instead, or add the Federals to have a green team.   

That assumes Orlando was available as another hub.

My suspicion is that this was less about a burning desire to bring back the Showboats than it was that Memphis was available to serve as a hub.  If USFL nostalgia was the sole driving force, the Bandits would come ahead of the Showboats . . . and even farther ahead of the Federals. 

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

4 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The XFL just took two of their QB's in Luis Perez and Kyle Sloter.  Now they were technically free agents because they had been released by NFL teams but there were indications that they were returning to the USFL.  

Couple more will be leaving soon also. Ta’amu and Bryan Scott will both be announced in January in supplemental draft. 

• Like 1

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

7 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

That assumes Orlando was available as another hub.

My suspicion is that this was less about a burning desire to bring back the Showboats than it was that Memphis was available to serve as a hub.  If USFL nostalgia was the sole driving force, the Bandits would come ahead of the Showboats . . . and even farther ahead of the Federals. 

I do agree but what explains Detroit being used as a hub city also? 

And no they’re not ripping off the Wolverines.. they’re are only so many color combinations 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

10 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

I do agree but what explains Detroit being used as a hub city also? 

I suspect that it's still availability as much as anything.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

22 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

Couple more will be leaving soon also. Ta’amu and Bryan Scott will both be announced in January in supplemental draft. 

Makes sense for Ta'amu since Todd Haley announced in the Showboats press conference Brady White, who was the backup last year.  

32 minutes ago, EJ_Barlik said:

What if the other hub turns out to be New Jersey?  They certainly have infrastructure....

I'm just going off of the Detroit rumors.

My assumption is that facilities are more important than historic identities at this stage.  If they could only find another hub in San Antonio instead of Memphis, we might be looking at the rebirth of the Gunslingers . . . even though they probably even ran ahead of the Federals in the laughingstock race. 

The designer behind the new Memphis Showboats logo clearly engaged in artistic embellishment when depicting the speed of the team’s namesake conveyance. That said, it isn’t as if the captains and crew  of 19th century paddle wheel watercraft didn’t push their ships to the limits of said vessels’ operational capacities from time to time.

http://howardsteamboatmuseum.org/river-history/for-profit-glory-steamboat-racing-inland-rivers/

I think that given the choice, when it comes to modern sports branding,  the owners and management of most pro teams are going to lean into erring on the side of emphasizing  the physical prowess of the athletes in their employ, even if it means taking liberties within the design of the logos used by their teams.

After all, the last thing a pro football team wants to be promoting is the “leisurely” manner in which its athletes go about playing the game. I just don’t see that approach maximizing ticket sales.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

I'm just going off of the Detroit rumors.

My assumption is that facilities are more important than historic identities at this stage.  If they could only find another hub in San Antonio instead of Memphis, we might be looking at the rebirth of the Gunslingers . . . even though they probably even ran ahead of the Federals in the laughingstock race. 

The San Antonio Gunslingers are a team in the National Arena League.  

Home - San Antonio Gunslingers

13 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Not using the blue/green/silver color scheme = fails.

spacer.png

Also, interesting that the ball has an Orlando Predators logo on it.  Just another sign of low budget football, I suppose.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The San Antonio Gunslingers are headed to Freeman Coliseum

I think they took the XFL idea and had each team put their logos on the balls.

San Antonio Gunslingers get first win over Albany Empire

37 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

spacer.png

Also, interesting that the ball has an Orlando Predators logo on it.  Just another sign of low budget football, I suppose.

This team was literally playing in a horse barn two years ago, so low budget applies.

George Strait's San Antonio Rose Palace to Close and Go Up For SaleSan Antonio Gunslingers beat the Austin Wild improving to 2-1 on the year

And teams in Texas that start up seem to follow an unwritten rule, except for Panther City lacrosse, that you have to copy the Texas flag colors. And most people in San Antonio don't have a positive view of the USFL Gunslingers since they were so cheap that even the players weren't sure they could get paid. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 hours ago, leopard88 said:

spacer.png

This current version of the Gunslingers has.....yep.....a red jersey!  If I am the USFL and I acquire this team, I would bring back the old color scheme.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GDAWG said:

This current version of the Gunslingers has.....yep.....a red jersey!  If I am the USFL and I acquire this team, I would bring back the old color scheme.

The primary logo was goofy as hell, but the uniforms were great.

spacer.png

• Like 6