USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

sky1324

Looks fine, but pretty underwhelming. It looks like they might be using light gray pants, but it's hard to tell from the photos/video. This identity is the perfect place for a Pittsburgh team to use steel gray as a signature color. Use black and yellow to fit into the city sports scene, but lean into steel gray. Gray helmets and pants would've been great.

I agree that yellow helmets with these uniforms would be an improvement. I've long wanted the Steelers to revert to yellow helmets, but that's for another discussion. The yellow stripe on the black helmet is ridiculously thick. The collars of the jerseys are rough. Not great, but could be worse. I'm glad they kept the shoulder/sleeve color block design.

• Like 3

On 3/20/2023 at 11:59 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I understand the Showboats moving away from red in a league in which so many teams use red.  But there was no reason to change the logo.  Just recolour the classic logo and helmet.  Here are my crude attempts to show that.

Showboats-logo-recoloured.png

Showboats-helmet.png

They went with navy instead of Columbia blue and athletic gold. That would looked nice, but too much like the Chargers. But it still could work. But navy looks fine with the showboat. And finally, less red.

10 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Those are their practice jerseys.  If anything they will probably end up looking more like Kent State.

After seeing the Maulers, do we think they just recolor the Bandits uniforms? 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Friendly nudge to the mods that we are currently entering the 2023 season...

*humbly points to thread title*

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• officeglenn changed the title to USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

That graphic, and some videos from Maulers training camp, show decals on both sides of the helmet. Some videos show one side. Hoping for both sides. Like others have said, I wish they had used gray more beyond just the facemask, and it's definitely better than they could have been, but still not great - overall, a little rough.

I actually kinda like that road uniform, though.

oBIgzrL.png

I find the Memphis uniforms to be wholly uninspired and boring, which means they are instantly better than every single XFL uniform. 

That said, they could/should have...

1) had a yellow pant set with a blue stripe.

2) skipped the shoulder yoke, way too close to Pittsburgh.

3) Had a traditional number font instead of reusing Pittsburgh's.

4) Oh, who am I kidding, they should have silver and scarlet uniforms with the old paddlewheel logo on the helmets.  No reason to go blue/gold and "update" anything.  I do like the secondary logo, but the speeding boat logo is not doing it for me.

Lean into the 1980's aesthetic, no need to change it, a classic look that would be respected as not trying to be new or kewl. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I find the Memphis uniforms to be wholly uninspired and boring, which means they are instantly better than every single XFL uniform. 

That said, they could/should have...

1) had a yellow pant set with a blue stripe.

2) skipped the shoulder yoke, way too close to Pittsburgh.

3) Had a traditional number font instead of reusing Pittsburgh's.

4) Oh, who am I kidding, they should have silver and scarlet uniforms with the old paddlewheel logo on the helmets.  No reason to go blue/gold and "update" anything.  I do like the secondary logo, but the speeding boat logo is not doing it for me.

Lean into the 1980's aesthetic, no need to change it, a classic look that would be respected as not trying to be new or kewl. 

spacer.png

I don't disagree with any of this, except to say that the number fonts on Pittsburgh and Memphis are different. It's easy to overlook because so many other elements of their uniforms are nearly identical. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LogoFan said:

Nah, they just recolored the Maulers unis.

If only they had done that. These look like they had an accident at the factory and the stitched the wrong shoulder patterns onto the uniforms. The fact that Pittsburgh had the better of the two uniforms, and all they did was push the paint button, is pretty sad. 

Memphis Showboats Reveal USFL Uniforms For 2023

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm really, really, really starting to hate contrasting shoulder panels.  Side panels don't bug me both the majority of the contrasted shoulder panels don't look good.

I'm really surprised how clones/uninspired these are.  Talk about phoning it in...these are the very definition of "laziness".

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LogoFan said:

I'm really, really, really starting to hate contrasting shoulder panels.  Side panels don't bug me

I go the exact opposite way.  I consider side panels to be unsightly; I've never seen a good use of that feature, which has marred several otherwise good uniforms (for instance, the current uniforms of the Philadelphia Stars).  It's a disease of design; and the Denver Broncos were the superspreaders.

Whereas, contrasting shoulder panels tend to look good to me, whether on the early-1960s Dallas Cowboys (the uniform which is so nice that it became a beloved throwback), or even in the exaggerated shoulder panels on the L.A. Xtreme of the XFL in 2001.

New XFL Could Succeed Where Other NFL Challengers Haven't

Any feature can be overused; but for two teams out of eight in the current USFL to have that feature definitely does not feel like too much.  

On top of that, I really like the looks of Memphis (except the logo, which should have just been the original logo recoloured) and Pittsburgh.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png