North American Pro Soccer 2022

Brian in Boston

On 5/24/2022 at 7:28 PM, Dilbert said:

If I remember reading right are the owners of Forward Madison involved in this?

Yes. The lead owner of Forward Madison FC - Jim Kacmarcik - is partnering with Kenosha-based Bear Development, a company with 36 years of experience developing hospitality, industrial, office, residential, and retail projects in 14 states.

The proposal calls for the development of an 11-acre site bounded by Michigan Street, North Sixth Street, and the I-794 /I-43 interchange. Anchoring said development will be an 8,000-seat stadium playing host to professional soccer, as well as the Marquette University men's and women's soccer and lacrosse teams.  Adjacent to the athletic facility will be an indoor concert venue with a capacity of 3,500 people that the Pabst Theatre Group will operate in partnership with Kacmarcik Enterprises. Attached to the concert venue will be a 140-room upscale hotel  featuring a full-service bar and restaurant overlooking the stadium. The final component of the project will be a five-story,  99-unit apartment building.

Clint Dempsey is trending today so I clearly thought the worst, given everything.

Turns it out he's running a siren for the Carolina Hurricanes. Okay!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Clint Dempsey is trending today so I clearly thought the worst, given everything.

Turns it out he's running a siren for the Carolina Hurricanes. Okay!

and damn near broke the thing. really leaning into his Carolina transplant life. I don’t think he’ll ever be milkshake duck-ed; anyone who shows up to their first TV anchor jobs as obviously stoned as he was is probably a legitimately cool dude.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

https://www.espn.com/soccer/charlotte-fc/story/4678070/expansion-side-charlotte-fires-coach-miguel-angel-ramirez-after-just-14-mls-games-in-charge

Charlotte has fired their head coach after their recent slide. I wonder if there's something else going on, since they are in 8th place and one spot out of the playoffs. Expecting a new team to run through the league on their first go is not smart. 

Atlas won Liga MX for the second season running. VAR did not give  Pachuca a PK which could have tied the match and taken it into extra time, but they did hand out a red card to Atlas that was not something that was red card worthy. Still good work on their part.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexican-liga-bbva-mx/story/4677602/liga-mx-champions-atlas-showcase-perseverance-and-evolution-on-path-to-back-to-back-titles

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Charlotte has fired their head coach after their recent slide. I wonder if there's something else going on, since they are in 8th place and one spot out of the playoffs. Expecting a new team to run through the league on their first go is not smart. 

He was the one who was talking sh-t to the media about his club's transfer policy before the year even started, right? I can imagine there was some behind-the-scenes conflict there. That said, if the FO wants to win games, hard to see how replacing a coach who's got an expansion team running pretty well is the right thing to do.

1 minute ago, Digby said:

He was the one who was talking sh-t to the media about his club's transfer policy before the year even started, right? I can imagine there was some behind-the-scenes conflict there. That said, if the FO wants to win games, hard to see how replacing a coach who's got an expansion team running pretty well is the right thing to do.

I also read an article discussing that the team may have issues with training facilities once the Panthers start training camp in July, so I'm betting he has even more words about that as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Atlas won Liga MX for the second season running. VAR did not give  Pachuca a PK which could have tied the match and taken it into extra time, but they did hand out a red card to Atlas that was not something that was red card worthy. Still good work on their part.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexican-liga-bbva-mx/story/4677602/liga-mx-champions-atlas-showcase-perseverance-and-evolution-on-path-to-back-to-back-titles

El Académico approves! 😄

000_THIRD_AAA_ATLAS_DESKTOP-1.jpg

• Like 1

Christian Pulisic can eat a fart. Listen, it was a**holishly hot with a great chance of thunderstorms, a weeknight, and tickets were exorbitant all for a scrimmage against dang ass Morocco. I thought about going, but that was just too many ass-aches I needed to overcome and I can tell you that post-COVID my tolerance for ass-aches has dropped significantly. I can deal with two, maybe three ass-aches at this point. Any more effort required than that and I'm staying at home and last night was like a 9 ass-ache event. No thanks. Plus I live here and I didn't even know it was happening until a week before the game so I wasn't really planning for it.  

If he's got an issue with the number of fans in the building he should take it up with USSF for poor planning and stupidly priced tickets, don't go on ESPN and :censored: about the fans. That's not your job, rich boy.  

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 minutes ago, Sport said:

Christian Pulisic can eat a fart. Listen, it was a**holishly hot with a great chance of thunderstorms, a weeknight, and tickets were exorbitant all for a scrimmage against dang ass Morocco. I thought about going, but that was just too many ass-aches I needed to overcome and I can tell you that post-COVID my tolerance for ass-aches has dropped significantly. I can deal with two, maybe three ass-aches at this point. Any more effort required than that and I'm staying at home and last night was like a 9 ass-ache event. No thanks. Plus I live here and I didn't even know it was happening until a week before the game so I wasn't really planning for it.  

If he's got an issue with the number of fans in the building he should take it up with USSF for poor planning and stupidly priced tickets, don't go on ESPN and :censored: about the fans. That's not your job, rich boy.  

I read his complaint more as a criticism against the USSF, not against the people of Cincy. He has a point though.

The USMNT is the only top 20 footballing nation in the world who routinely has more opposing fans in their home games than their own fans, and the USSF is solely to blame for that. The USSF needs to stop exclusively scheduling matches in mid-west soccer-specific stadiums (the rest of country exists) and on top of that, charging NFL prices for those games even though the USMNT is not a NFL level draw. 

Right now, the USSF is charging nearly $100 per ticket for the game against Uruguay Sunday, which is ludicrous. I can buy tickets to see the LA Rams play for less than $80, in a much nicer stadium with a far better fan experience. Or I can buy LAFC tickets for 40 bucks. Anything approaching $100 for a single ticket for a USMNT exhibition game is absurd.

I'd love to see, and rather see, the USMNT play in sold-out, packed NFL-sized stadiums, rather than falling to fill out smaller soccer stadiums because they're overcharging ticket prices and afraid of playing in hostile stadiums in the States (which they already do). 

• Like 2

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

The USSF needs to stop exclusively scheduling matches in mid-west soccer-specific stadiums (the rest of country exists) and on top of that, charging NFL prices for those games even though the USMNT is not a NFL level draw. 

I'd love to see, and rather see, the USMNT play in sold-out, packed NFL-sized stadiums, rather than falling to fill out smaller soccer stadiums because they're overcharging ticket prices and afraid of playing in hostile stadiums in the States (which they already do). 

One of the arguments I always hear is that the US National team (men or women) dont have a home stadium. The US is a big country. If all of the home games were played in one location, say Washington for example, it would be difficult for fans on the West Coast to attend games. I think that playing at varying venues across the country serves the team better.

Have they been playing in the midwest alot? Recently yes. Including friendlies, qualifiers, tournaments, cup games  here is the hosting breakdown:

8 gms) Los Angeles-Carson 7 gms, Pasadena 1gm

8 gms) Kansas City KS

5 gms )Bay Area-San Francisco 1 gm, San Jose 2 gms, Santa Clara 2gms

5 gms) Philadelphia- Chester 2 gms, Philadelphia 3 gms

5 gms) New York- East Rutherford 2gms, Harrison 3 gms

5 gms) Dallas- Arlington 3 gms, Frisco 2 gms

5 gms) Nashville

5 gms) Orlando

5 gms) Columbus

5 gms) Washington

4 gms) Denver- Commerce City 2 gms, Denver 2 gms

4 gms) Salt Lake (Sandy)

4 gms) East Hartford

3 gms) Chicago

3 gms) Cincinnati

3 gms) Cleveland

3 gms) Austin

3 gms) Houston

3 gms) Phoenix (Glendale)

2 gms) Jacksonville

2 gms) Tampa

2 gms) South Florida- Boca Raton 1gm, Fort Lauderdale 1 gm

2 gms) Baltimore

2 gms) St Louis

2 gms) St Paul

2 gms) San Diego

2 gms) Seattle

2 gms) Boston (Foxborough)

1 gm) Las Vegas (Paradise)

1 gm) Portland

1 gm) San Antonio

1 gm) Atlanta)

1 gm) Cary NC

1 gm) Chattanooga

Now while wanting to fill an NFL sized stadium would be nice compared to filling a smaller soccer specific stadium, keep in mind many NFL venues have artificial turf and the teams very rarely will play on them, often bringing in natural grass for the event alone.

Ultimately I dont think location has anything to do with the attendance. Its the fact that USSF is charging NFL level prices for games for non marquee opponents for a sport that doesnt have an NFL level following in the United States. When the cheapest ticket for a game against Morocco  is $75 for a midweek friendly on a night with the threat of thunderstorms, and during a time in which gas prices are through the roof, fans got to make a decision on if it is financially feasible for them to attend these types of games. When Cincinnati hosted the US vs Mexico (a marquee opponent) game last fall, the venue was sold out. My blame goes solely on the USSF, not the city hosting or the fans. Christian Pulisic may be use to playing infront of large crowds playing for Chelsea but compared to playing in front of crowds in the US vs Europe, its a very different following and support.

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

My wife and I do okay and could've afforded tickets without hurting our bank account, but even so we looked at tickets and the last row in the stadium was going for a price that I would consider exorbitant for what is essentially a preseason game against an opponent that I know nothing about. Then I looked at the weather and we decided not to attend. Pulisic isn't paid to consider why it wasn't a sellout and even if he's speaking directly to USSF, to put that on the fans, directly or indirectly, is lame. The best course of action for him to take would've been to say nothing about it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

29 minutes ago, Sport said:

My wife and I do okay and could've afforded tickets without hurting our bank account, but even so we looked at tickets and the last row in the stadium was going for a price that I would consider exorbitant for what is essentially a preseason game against an opponent that I know nothing about. Then I looked at the weather and we decided not to attend. Pulisic isn't paid to consider why it wasn't a sellout and even if he's speaking directly to USSF, to put that on the fans, directly or indirectly, is lame. The best course of action for him to take would've been to say nothing about it. 

True.

And USSF needs to be better. I don't understand what they're trying to accomplish.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

26 minutes ago, Sport said:

I think he worded it poorly, and weirdly xenophobically, but neither on purpose and was just speaking honestly in the moment. I don't see the harm at all.

Between the Equal Pay situation on the women's side and the men's side's most public face embarrassing the USSF in a situation they deserve to be, it's nice to see the empty suits actually face some accountability for a change.

With more games this cycle at the federation's favorite repeat heartland venues, we'll have more data points in the next couple weeks on this.

I think he is just used to playing to the big crowds with Chelsea and while we have a good soccer environment here in the states, it is nothing compared to what he sees in England.

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

I think he is just used to playing to the big crowds with Chelsea and while we have a good soccer environment here in the states, it is nothing compared to what he sees in England.

This is probably the first non sellout he's seen with the men's team, even counting friendlies. I will say that the price of tickets is the main reason I don't buy them. When they've played in San Antonio it's been $60 for cheap tickets at the dome. Pulisic still could have been more diplomatic with the what he said too.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Meanwhile last night in Hamilton, the meaningless 2020 Canadian Championship Final was finally played between Forge FC and Toronto FC. The 2020 tournament was canceled due to the pandemic and instead a single championship game was to be held between the top MLS club (Toronto FC) and the top CPL club (Forge FC) with the winner earning the 2021 CONCACAF Champions League spot. However due to scheduling conflicts and more pandemic mess, the match was postponed again and Toronto automatically being awarded the berth. Forge FC as a consolation would be awarded to host the match whenever it was to take place. So finally 21 months later the 2020 Canadian Championship game was played (after the 2021 CONCACAF Champions League and the 2021 Canadian Championship have already taken place and the 2022 Canadian Championship well underway) with Toronto and Forge ending in a 1-1 draw with Toronto winning on penalties in what was essentially just an exhibition game.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Re: the 2020 Canadaian Championship Final player in 2022

As "it's so MLS" doesn't apply here, let's just say "it's so CONCACAF" instead ;)

Canada Soccer Association / Players

What's the TL/DR for the Canada Soccer Association vs Players issue?

is it just the players wanting more $ or is there legitimate questions on where the money goes with that Canada Soccer Business company?

3 hours ago, element7ero said:

is it just the players wanting more $ or is there legitimate questions on where the money goes with that Canada Soccer Business company?

Basically modeled on the SUM model of convenient business and power linkages between the league, the "nonprofit" federation, and a less-than-arm's-length shell co. to run the business deals. Obviously this was all signed before the MNT had this renaissance in the current World Cup cycle. My read is that sure, the players want more money given their current success, but also a more sustainable and equitable structure going forward... and now is the time that they've got leverage for both.

To be frank, as much stick as MLS gets for not being a top-tier league where elite players will play, the CPL is obviously a couple rungs below even that. So it doesn't seem like a great idea to concentrate all the power with those owners if you're a World Cup-quality nation.

As a further wrinkle, the men's players were calling to equalize percentages of WC pay between the men's and women's teams, but the women's team actually wants equal dollars. The US equal pay settlement has set the precedent.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

USL Championships Sacramento Republic upset LA Galaxy 2-1 to advance to the US Open Cup semifinals. They are the first non MLS club to make it to the Open Cup semifinals since the 2017 FC Cincinnati club. Sacramento await the winner of Sporting Kansas City and USL League Ones Union Omaha

• Like 2