NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

It's OK not to like Tom Brady. I didn't care for him when he was with the Patriots and winning everything, but then he went to the Bucs and I realized it was the Patriots I disliked more than Brady. 

But aside from that, I find all the hand-wringing over his decision to play another year a little ridiculous. Think of it in a more relatable context: Your longtime co-worker is good at his job, but has worked a really long time and decides to hang it up. You buy the cake and give him the goodbye party, but after taking some time to think about it, he realizes he still really likes his job and isn't ready to retire.

Do you get mad at him for prompting you to buy him a cake?  

This really isn't any different, except in the case of Tom Brady, a lot of people just don't like the guy who un-retired. And that's fair, just don't let that dislike masquerade in some argument that he did something wrong, because he didn't. You're just annoyed.  

• Like 7

From https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/03/carson-wentz-with-maybe-the-most-uninspiring-quarterback-quote-ever.html

"If I’m a Commies fan I’m throwing my arms up in the air and rolling my eyes into the back of my head. I know God might not care about all of the touchdowns you throw, but Greg in section 207, who got pooped on last year while spending $5k on tickets, does. Imagine working at a car dealership and telling your boss it doesn’t matter how many Nissan Altimas you sell because God doesn’t care how many Nissan Altimas you sell. Are you going to tell the bank that when they come take your house? Was it God’s plan to lose to the Raiders and Jaguars in back to back weeks? Because if so, maybe you gotta ask God why he hates you. Why does he throw all these challenges continuously at you? Why did he sprain both your ankles at one point? Because if this is your mission, other than the $100+ million, this mission blows."

"It just feels like Carson Wentz is a preacher who plays football. His entire identity is being Christian and not being a QB, which is fine, but if I’m the Commies I don’t want to pay someone $28 million who’s going to throw a pick six late in the 4th quarter and throw his hands up saying, “God’s plan”

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ravens lock down Marcus Williams for 5 years/$70 million.  I'm pretty frickin' stoked.  We haven't had a ballhawking safety in his prime since Ed freakin' Reed.  $14 million/year is already under market value for a safety, nevermind the fact that he's only 25, the market will only increase during the length of his contract, and the contract is frontloaded anyway if we need to get out from under it.

EDC man.  What a legend.  Now just go and get us some pass rush and we might be in business, provided our practice facility doesn't become the equivalent of the Injured Reserve Cheers bar from The Draw Play like last year.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

From https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/03/carson-wentz-with-maybe-the-most-uninspiring-quarterback-quote-ever.html

"If I’m a Commies fan I’m throwing my arms up in the air and rolling my eyes into the back of my head. I know God might not care about all of the touchdowns you throw, but Greg in section 207, who got pooped on last year while spending $5k on tickets, does. Imagine working at a car dealership and telling your boss it doesn’t matter how many Nissan Altimas you sell because God doesn’t care how many Nissan Altimas you sell. Are you going to tell the bank that when they come take your house? Was it God’s plan to lose to the Raiders and Jaguars in back to back weeks? Because if so, maybe you gotta ask God why he hates you. Why does he throw all these challenges continuously at you? Why did he sprain both your ankles at one point? Because if this is your mission, other than the $100+ million, this mission blows."

"It just feels like Carson Wentz is a preacher who plays football. His entire identity is being Christian and not being a QB, which is fine, but if I’m the Commies I don’t want to pay someone $28 million who’s going to throw a pick six late in the 4th quarter and throw his hands up saying, “God’s plan”

How is he not a Texan?

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Wouldn't this be a case of Matt Ryan allowing a trade to Houston as well?  

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Ravens signed a starting caliber OT yesterday for $5m/year and just brought back Za’Darius Smith for around $9m/year. EDC ain’t playing around this offseason. Three signings, all in crucial areas of need, all for under market value. 

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, heavybass said:

That is what we call an overpayment but its a statement signing from Buffalo.

I have bad memories of the Bills signing Mario Williams...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 years / $120M is completely irrelevant.

The only number that matters is the guarantee, since that's all he'll see.  I haven't looked it up, but it's likely "only" a 3 year deal.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, BBTV said:

6 years / $120M is completely irrelevant.

The only number that matters is the guarantee, since that's all he'll see.  I haven't looked it up, but it's likely "only" a 3 year deal.

That NFL media continues to report years in deals is such a farce.

If Von Miller is still in Buffalo when he's 39, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags