NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

$51M guaranteed, so it's likely a 3 year deal, with a ton in bonuses to be spread across the 6 years, and a nice total number for the agent to brag about, even though it's meaningless.  There's probably some clauses in there that prevent the 'dead money' cap hit after the 3rd year, or both sides understand that they'll renegotiate and pay him some extra at the end in order to get some cap relief.  Either way, neither side intends for this to be a 6 year deal, and media reporting is stupid.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah it's basically a 3 year deal disguised as a 6 year deal. No way Buffalo intends to have him play the full 6 years. 

Von showed he's still a damn beast, so I can't fault Buffalo too much. They were probably in a bidding war with the Rams and a few other teams. 

Between this + signing OJ Howard (LOL another OJ in Buffalo), Bills are clearly going all in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

So the Browns want a more mature quarterback than Baker Mayfield. Understandable. So they then meet with DeShawn Watson. 

Huh

Depending on who Mortensen talked to, I wouldn't look too far into that "adult" content. There are a couple local journalists that delight in talking down on Baker. Also, two months ago you told this guy he's the man, then make a public display of going to see someone else to do the same job. Why are people surprised something like this would happen?  Now that Watson has decided that Cleveland is no longer on the list, we'll see how much damage control the browns leadership can do before picking a QB with the 13th pick in the draft because they are afraid they won't get the chance to pick one next year. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

29 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Depending on who Mortensen talked to, I wouldn't look too far into that "adult" content. There are a couple local journalists that delight in talking down on Baker. Also, two months ago you told this guy he's the man, then make a public display of going to see someone else to do the same job. Why are people surprised something like this would happen?  Now that Watson has decided that Cleveland is no longer on the list, we'll see how much damage control the browns leadership can do before picking a QB with the 13th pick in the draft because they are afraid they won't get the chance to pick one next year. 

It was temporary but the Cleveland Clowns are back.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

It was temporary but the Cleveland Clowns are back.

Throwing your QB under the bus before you have his replacement lined up is quite the skill. Ouch.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

20 hours ago, Crabcake said:

Ravens signed a starting caliber OT yesterday for $5m/year and just brought back Za’Darius Smith for around $9m/year. EDC ain’t playing around this offseason. Three signings, all in crucial areas of need, all for under market value. 

2 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Does this happen often? I’ve seen it happen 3 times this offseason.

Oh yeah. Like any other contract, you agree in principle to a deal but then once the actual details are put on paper people find stuff they can't accept. The problem here is that media, especially sports media, is full of people who care more about being first than being right. So they jump the gun and report the "agree in principle" as if it's a signed contract.

• Like 4

jNTsTyQ.png

51 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I'm super bummed about this, because Z would've been a huge piece on our defense.  But at the same time, if you're willing to back out on your (prospective) team like that, it's probably better off for the team anyway. I just hope we can find someone to replace him.  Oweh has tons of potential but still needs polish and Bowser, while a solid every down player, just can't get to the QB like that.  

spacer.png

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Throwing your QB under the bus before you have his replacement lined up is quite the skill. Ouch.

Not only that, but throwing the only decent QB you've had in 20-plus years under the bus as well.  I'm not pretending Baker is amazing or anything, but the only reason the Browns have the gumption to think they can pull this off is because Baker helped take them from "the literal laughingstock of North American sports" to a team that you at least had to respect and acknowledge was a team.  I've never been mistaken for a Baker fan but he straight-up deserves better than this.

The Browns continue to be the only people that can out-Browns themselves.  Baker handled his looming contract situation in probably the worst way possible for him personally, and yet he still comes out of this with sympathy points because the Browns biffed it that badly.  Unbelievable.

• Like 6

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

Not only that, but throwing the only decent QB you've had in 20-plus years under the bus as well.  I'm not pretending Baker is amazing or anything, but the only reason the Browns have the gumption to think they can pull this off is because Baker helped take them from "the literal laughingstock of North American sports" to a team that you at least had to respect and acknowledge was a team.  I've never been mistaken for a Baker fan but he straight-up deserves better than this.

The Browns continue to be the only people that can out-Browns themselves.  Baker handled his looming contract situation in probably the worst way possible for him personally, and yet he still comes out of this with sympathy points because the Browns biffed it that badly.  Unbelievable.

A part of me still remains convinced that Jimmy “was part of Steelers management” Haslam III is, in fact, really a Pittsburgh mole.

Edited by DustDevil61
Pittsburgh

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33528225/baker-mayfield-requests-trade-cleveland-browns-says-best-interests-sides-move-on

Baker Mayfield has requested a trade from the Browns, telling ESPN's Adam Schefter that it is "in the best interests of both sides" for Cleveland to split with the star quarterback.

"It's in the mutual interest of both sides for us to move on," Mayfield told ESPN's Adam Schefter. "The relationship is too far gone to mend. It's in the best interests of both sides to move on."

The Browns, however, have informed Mayfield's camp that they are "not accommodating his request," a source told ESPN's Jake Trotter.

Pretty messy! On the other hand, we'll get a break from those Progressive commercials, which will be nice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Who would trade any significant asset for him?  Seattle maybe?  Texans?

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

26 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Deshaun Watson to Atlanta

Matt Ryan to Indianapolis

Baker Mayfield to Houston

Rookie QB to Cleveland

Mike Glennon to Cleveland for the next ten years -- because that's what that dogsh1t franchise honestly deserves

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Mike Glennon to Cleveland for the next ten years -- because that's what that dogsh1t franchise honestly deserves

What they deserve is what they’ve gotten for the last 30 years:

• Losing their team for 3 years (and watching that franchise win two Super Bowls and have multiple HoFs)
  • Not having a decent QB since losing their team
  • Being the literal joke of the NFL
  • Being one of 2 teams to lose every game in a season (along with the other laughingstock Detroit)
  • Watching every other team in their division reach a Super Bowl before them
  • Isolating their only decent QB since the expansion only for their FA target to decline them

4 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

What they deserve is what they’ve gotten for the last 30 years:

• Losing their team for 3 years (and watching that franchise win two Super Bowls and have multiple HoFs)
  • Not having a decent QB since losing their team
  • Being the literal joke of the NFL
  • Being one of 2 teams to lose every game in a season (along with the other laughingstock Detroit)
  • Watching every other team in their division reach a Super Bowl before them
  • Isolating their only decent QB since the expansion only for their FA target to decline them

Their fans don't deserve that.  Nobody's do.

Minshew to Cleveland!

• Like 5
  • LOL 1