NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

21 minutes ago, heavybass said:

Khalil Mack to the Chargers in exchange for a 2nd and a 6th in 2023.

11 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Why? This seems random.

10 minutes ago, heavybass said:

Going to assume the Bears will be focusing on helping Fields with weapons and with cap relief.

Then again I don't know what the Bears are doing.

1.  The Bears weren't going to contend in 2022.  Mack doesn't give them anything of use.

2.  Poles inherited Pace's roster and a fairly sparse cupboard of draft capital. 

3.  Mack's on the wrong side of 30, is coming off of foot surgery, and hasn't been himself since the 2018 season.

4.  This will open up a ton of cap.  The Chargers are taking on the entirety of Mack's contract.  That extra $28M in 2023 will be of great benefit.

I don't think it's a sexy move, but it's practical, and one I would expect of a new GM inheriting a bad situation.

• Like 5
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Tomorrow is the day (probably) where we find out whether or not DeShaun Watson will spend the next decade in prison or the next decade with his new NFL team.  

I don't know the way the wind is blowing at this point.

Carolina seems to be interested though if all Watson has to deal with is an NFL suspension and both his legal and civil issues are resolved:

Watson isn’t even being charged criminally, just civil, where the only decision would be monetary

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, heavybass said:

Seems Eagles are trying to upgrade but got unlucky.

The report is that the deal was agreed to, but the Falcons backed out and said they couldn't tell the Eagles why - presumably they found out he was being investigated for something, and did the right thing, when they could probably have traded him and let the Eagles get screwed.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The report is that the deal was agreed to, but the Falcons backed out and said they couldn't tell the Eagles why - presumably they found out he was being investigated for something, and did the right thing, when they could probably have traded him and let the Eagles get screwed.

I feel teams are protected against this sort of thing. If it’s found out that they were trading in bad faith or the nfl knew about the pending suspension the trade would have been voided anyways.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont care said:

I feel teams are protected against this sort of thing. If it’s found out that they were trading in bad faith or the nfl knew about the pending suspension the trade would have been voided anyways.

Most likely.  It's weird - what I heard was that the Falcons didn't even know he was being investigated, but yeah someone must have contacted them and told them to put a freeze on him for a while.

Trades can't be made official till the first league day right?  So theoretically, either side could back out before then.  I'd be so nervous if I struck a great deal and public backlash caused the other side to back out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

CHICAGO EVERYBODY! 🤡

I’ll take the $28M in cap space next season, but yeah, join the chorus of other dumbass takes.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

4 hours ago, dont care said:

Watson isn’t even being charged criminally, just civil, where the only decision would be monetary

The District Attorney will present their case of criminal charges to the Grand Jury on Friday who will then determine if he will be charged, so it's not just civil.

Grand jury will hear evidence on Friday in case involving Houston Texans QB Deshaun Watson (espn.com)

What do Friday's grand jury proceedings mean for Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans? - Houston Texans Blog- ESPN

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The Eagles always said that he has starting QB talent, and that's why they kept him as Nick Foles' backup in the SB playoff run.  Granted, he sucked in the games he played in (usually garbage time with 3rd-stringers around him) and may have just been saying that to drum up his value (though they let him go in FA rather than trade him, so who knows?)