NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

41 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’d imagine if Seattle is bringing back the throwback, they’ll shift the shade of the helmet so it can be worn with the wolf grey alternate as well

Patriot gray. Same color. I don't think they need to make that change.

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

10 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

Jalen Mills posted a pic of the Pats throwback helmet on his Instagram story. Seems like those will be back this year. 

I think the Patriots ProShop confirmed this a few weeks ago...will be the only new alt helmet-throwback uni in 2022. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

No chance these were ever confused with Detroit. Honolulu blue looked nothing like this.

Before HD they were the afc detroit. Yes the shades are not identical but to the casual viewer there was not much difference.

5 hours ago, guest23 said:

Before HD they were the afc detroit. Yes the shades are not identical but to the casual viewer there was not much difference.

This just isn't true...especially with helmet stripes/no helmet stripes.  The projection here is pretty bad. 

Edit: There’s no real definition of “casual” fan, but I would bet most people would identify the Lions in both of these videos pretty easily

Here they’re playing each other in 1993…the Honolulu blu is still pretty distinct

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Were you old enough to see this, or are you just projecting? I'm old enough to have seen these in real time (I was 11 when the Seahawks debuted in the AFC), and no way in hell did I ever confuse the two. It's so not close that I'm stunned you could try to defend this take.

• Like 5

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I think the Patriots ProShop confirmed this a few weeks ago...will be the only new alt helmet-throwback uni in 2022. 

IIRC, they were confirmed as fashion jerseys but not for on-field yet. I think there have been questions because supply issues have caused other teams to push theirs back. Doesn't seem like the Pats will be. 

21 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

IIRC, they were confirmed as fashion jerseys but not for on-field yet. I think there have been questions because supply issues have caused other teams to push theirs back. Doesn't seem like the Pats will be. 

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/12/03/new-england-patriots-throwback-uniforms-to-return-in-2022/football/

Not sure about supply issues on these specifically, but there were definite plans for 2022. Fanatics is selling Mac Jones red jerseys. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Were you old enough to see this, or are you just projecting? I'm old enough to have seen these in real time (I was 11 when the Seahawks debuted in the AFC), and no way in hell did I ever confuse the two. It's so not close that I'm stunned you could try to defend this take.

Been watching the league since the early 80's before score bugs on 19" teevees.  If you actually go back to that time color schemes were so static that silver/blue/silver worn  by two franchises gave the impression that seattle did not have a unique set (yes there was a hint of kelly green). I think my position would be analogous to carolina's silver/black/silver evoking the raiders and an even worse offense of them and the lions doing the silver/blue/silver with black trim.  Let's be clear here I am not talking about nuance, I am talking first glance impressions of teams that don't have unique color combinations. In modern times this position no longer applies because everything is a hot mess now.

I still stand by my position that silver/royal seattle was super bland and forgettable from the 70's-90's. Only events of note were boz getting bowled over by bo and dave kreig setting the all time record for fumbles. Good times to throw back to.

Last point: Now get off my lawn 😐

• Yawn 1

A million years ago, when I was just a tiny lad, one summer my sainted father took me and my then-annoying older brother to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Before going in we stopped at a local NFL-themed McDonalds. This McDonalds had those awesome old screen-printed felt pennants of all the teams on display.  Included with the 26 teams I was very familiar with were two new unknown quantities. New pennants for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Seattle Seahawks, who would both be joining the NFL that coming fall. The Bucs helmet and colors were cool... but i couldn't stop staring at the Seahawks' pennant. That dour-looking bird. That asymmetrical horizontal stripe! And blue and green together?! Blue and green in a single color scheme??  At the time, it seemed beyond radical, possibly illegal. I seriously considered the possibility it was a printing error. I tried to involve my brother in an overly excited (OK, crazed) conversation about those colors... could it even be true?!?  He informed me for not the first or last time that I was, in fact, a complete weirdo. The idea that the ugly, fake-modern, try-hard colors and uniforms the Seahawks have tried out since then are in any way comparable (let alone superior) to those colors that overloaded and amazed my small brain in the mid-70's is quite simply blasphemy.

spacer.png

tldr:  The 20th century Seahawks uniforms rule like Conan with a battle axe. The 21st century Seahawks uniforms suck the sweat of a donkeys unmentionables.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The 20th century Seahawks uniforms rule like Conan with a battle axe. The 21st century Seahawks uniforms suck the sweat of a donkeys unmentionables.

Except you just mentioned them. 😄

Here's where I'm at with the Seahawks. On the one hand--and actually let me back up. Under the right lighting, royal blue and Kelly green might be one of the most attractive analogous colorways out there--the Vancouver Canucks have proven that. To bounce them both off silver, rather than white, just made it even more appealing, at least to me. Add that to the fact that until the Reebok change they were the last team to use that older style of block number and you've definitely got a unique distinctive recipe.

Now, all things considered, I'd like to forget Seahawks 2.0 ever existed--but that's because of the lack of contrast between the two blues and nowhere near enough green--which itself was and still is tinted up a bit too high. Seahawks 3.0 definitely fixed the contrast issue between blue and green--but the same issue remains with the green. One, their aways don't use anywhere close to enough of it, and two, it still looks like it has too much yellow in it; if it was a bit "bluer", I think it would look great (the color, that is). And, not to be glossed over, this identity was also crafted right in the heart of Nike's obsidian/wolf grey fetish, so there's that, too.

I think now that Russell Wilson is gone, if they're going to explore a rebrand, now would be the time. I'm not advocating for a straight 100% return to what the had--besides, with the way NFL players have their jerseys tailored, there's absolutely no room on the sleeve caps for Seahawks face stripes to breathe. But something close to that, silver helmet + pants and all, with a slightly darker royal blue and true Kelly green, would be fresh.

Now that we're fully into the hi-def era, I wonder if history will repeat itself and we see a return to brighter, richer color schemes for more sports teams, as was the case in the late 60s into the 70s with the advent and spread of color television. 

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

21 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Patriot gray. Same color. I don't think they need to make that change.

Yeah, or Lions silver. Or Raiders. The only team that wears an actual visually different silver/gray are the Cowboys, and everyone just complains about it.

"Wolf grey"... *snicker*

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

I think now that Russell Wilson is gone, if they're going to explore a rebrand, now would be the time. I'm not advocating for a straight 100% return to what the had--besides, with the way NFL players have their jerseys tailored, there's absolutely no room on the sleeve caps for Seahawks face stripes to breathe. But something close to that, silver helmet + pants and all, with a slightly darker royal blue and true Kelly green, would be fresh.

How about the stripes from the original duds?

spacer.png

16 hours ago, WSU151 said:

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/12/03/new-england-patriots-throwback-uniforms-to-return-in-2022/football/

Not sure about supply issues on these specifically, but there were definite plans for 2022. Fanatics is selling Mac Jones red jerseys. 

Nice. Except I would be selling the jerseys of a different player instead of Wack Jones.

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

How about the stripes from the original duds?

spacer.png

Same situation--wouldn't really be enough room for them. That said, I much prefer the hawk head stripes over the originals. Perhaps if they shrunk the size of the stripes down some it could work.

And you know what--now that we're fully into the hawkjack, I haven't even looked at the old uniforms in a while, so let's take a look back...

646181.jpg.jpg

Matt-Hasselbeck-Seattle-Seahawks.jpg

86ec76b965fba6c8d311656f877fb961.jpg

1200x0.jpg

Good gracious, I forgot how good those looked...yeah we need a new form of these back Stat. Hold the nikefications, please...

• Like 11

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

16 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Same situation--wouldn't really be enough room for them. That said, I much prefer the hawk head stripes over the originals. Perhaps if they shrunk the size of the stripes down some it could work...

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I’m sure ‘76 Seattle’s  stripes can fit.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

spacer.png

I’m sure ‘76 Seattle’s  stripes can fit.

Good points.

Of course, those are all "skill position" players--what about the big guys in the trenches? (And probably half the LBs in the league, too.)

6 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Good points.

Of course, those are all "skill position" players--what about the big guys in the trenches? (And probably half the LBs in the league, too.)

Can't get my phone to post photos, but just looked up Armstead and Bosa in the 94s and they both look loads better than the 2 stripe standard set. It proves that they can have their classic 3 stripes on the sleeve instead of the 2 they switched to a couple years ago.

Pretty sure the only reason they switched is to double dip on jersey sales as they might have felt the 94s weren't different enough than the standard set.

8 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Good points.

• Like 1
  • Love 1