NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

11 hours ago, SwavyTree said:

It's easy to be lost when you don't know the starting point.  I was alluding to a previous post about how even though the Falcons and Jets uniforms aren't traditional, they still have consistent elements that don't clash or look out of place. Clean and modern. The post also points out that even teams with universally loved uniforms can look bad with the wrong color balance and top/bottom combo.

Thanks. Now I can disagree on the substance.

Both the Jets and Falcons have elements that look out of place. The Jets have those spiky things that would work better with their 1978 logo, not one that is without angles. They also have the (IMO) random inclusion of black elements so that they can introduce their black uniform.  The Falcons have a chrome facemask where the only other chrome is a small amount in the logo. They use an overly large nickname on the jersey. 

As to the wrong color balance for SF? That's simply the wrong color. I don't believe their black uniforms would have been so hated if they were red or white (more representative of their team colors). 

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

13 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

Shockingly the Bucs horrible, horrible unis lasted one year past their expiration date. Meaning that while the Jags and Browns took 3 years at the very most, maybe less, to regret their overhaul, for the Bucs it took them exactly four years to reconsider. I wonder what switch flipped then. Glad it did, in any case.

Also, who can believe that we’re going into year 10 of those Vikings unis? They knocked it so hard out of the park that they could wear those for the next 20 years at least and I don’t think a single person would complain. Especially now that they brought back white on white😍

1) The Vikings numbers need fixing. I hate the Serif on the left and Sans Serif on the right. Just make them all Sans Serif.

2) The White on White look I actually hate with this set, because the striping patterns are mismatched. The purple jersey was design to go with the white pants, and white jersey design to go with the purple pants. But when it's white over white, you have essentially a purple/white/yellow sleeve stripe and a purple/yellow/purple pants stripe. Not that I want 2 sets of white pants, but it'd look better if they had white pants with a stripe that matches the white jersey. A minor gripe I admit, but I always notice it and it always bothers me.

But overall I agree. This is a great set and they shouldn't redesign again. I actually wish they would've kept the set before Reebok introduced the white side panels with yellow trim look. It was such a great, classic NFL uniform.

• Like 5

The Vikings road jersey should have stripes that match the white pants. Not the other way around. The purple-yellow-purple is way better than the purple-white-yellow on the sleeves currently. 

If the Vikes dropped the weird serifs and then made that change, they should never change again

• Like 6

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The Vikings current uniform is pretty nice, but I have a couple issues with it and the biggest hasn’t been mentioned yet.  They desperately need a second pair of socks, white with a stripe that matches (as much as possible) the white stripe on the road jersey. I understand why someone would have a problem with the mismatch of stripes between the white pants and white jersey, but I’m not sure if that bothers me more than the road leotards. 

As for the number font, it really bugged me when the uniform was introduced and I thought it would drive me crazy but honestly, I stopped worrying about it years ago. At this point, to me, it’s just their number font. That and the black face mask were elements I used to be annoyed by and now am fine with. 

If they kept this uniform for the foreseeable future I’d be good.  That said, if they traded it tomorrow for an update of the late 60’s uniform I’d be over the moon. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Thanks. Now I can disagree on the substance.

Both the Jets and Falcons have elements that look out of place. The Jets have those spiky things that would work better with their 1978 logo, not one that is without angles. They also have the (IMO) random inclusion of black elements so that they can introduce their black uniform.  The Falcons have a chrome facemask where the only other chrome is a small amount in the logo. They use an overly large nickname on the jersey. 

As to the wrong color balance for SF? That's simply the wrong color. I don't believe their black uniforms would have been so hated if they were red or white (more representative of their team colors). 

Great, you disagree. Now what? I love the Falcons uniforms when they have contrasting pants,  and no other swinging Johnson can tell me otherwise.  Live with it and move on. I do t give a damn about SF to be honest.  Just used them as an example of a traditional uniform that had too much of one color and not enough contrast.  My point is still valid... that even traditional uniforms with block number font and stripes can look bad .

• WOAH 1

23 minutes ago, SwavyTree said:

Great, you disagree. Now what? I love the Falcons uniforms when they have contrasting pants,  and no other swinging Johnson can tell me otherwise.  Live with it and move on. I do t give a damn about SF to be honest.  Just used them as an example of a traditional uniform that had too much of one color and not enough contrast.  My point is still valid... that even traditional uniforms with block number font and stripes can look bad .

Sure. But your last sentence isn't what you said, unless you think the Niners all black, Packers all green, or Falcons current uniform are tradional.

Feel free to get mad when someone asks for clarification. I don't care.

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

It's where I sit.

7 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Sure. But your last sentence isn't what you said, unless you think the Niners all black, Packers all green, or Falcons current uniform are tradional.

Some of you guys think others take this online stuff seriously.  Why in hell would I be mad? Lol. If you go back and read, that is what I said. I said if the Falcons had SF all black uni, which is traditional as opposed to the falcons current uni, then it would be much more likeable. But as you stated, it's too much black for SF so it looks "terrible ". See where I'm going? 

• WOAH 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'm just a guy that love uniform aesthetics like everyone on here. This isn't even a part of my life though, so please don't assume my personal feelings are tied to some sports  clothing. 

• WOAH 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, SwavyTree said:

I'm just a guy that love uniform aesthetics like everyone on here. This isn't even a part of my life though, so please don't assume my personal feelings are tied to some sports  clothing. 

I didn't understand your original point, so I asked about it. Then I disagreed with your opinion, cuz that is what we do here. We discuss things. See @oldschoolvikings post also.

• WOAH 1

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Vikings current uniform is pretty nice, but I have a couple issues with it and the biggest hasn’t been mentioned yet.  They desperately need a second pair of socks, white with a stripe that matches (as much as possible) the white stripe on the road jersey. I understand why someone would have a problem with the mismatch of stripes between the white pants and white jersey, but I’m not sure if that bothers me more than the road leotards. 

As for the number font, it really bugged me when the uniform was introduced and I thought it would drive me crazy but honestly, I stopped worrying about it years ago. At this point, to me, it’s just their number font. That and the black face mask were elements I used to be annoyed by and now am fine with. 

If they kept this uniform for the foreseeable future I’d be good.  That said, if they traded it tomorrow for an update of the late 60’s uniform I’d be over the moon. 

The Vikings and Dolphins would benefit immensely from using their white socks (which every team has) with their colored pants, like other teams have at least tried.

• Like 4

O for a world where the Vikings went back to classic uniforms and played at an expanded TCF Bank Stadium, but then Minneapolis wouldn't have gotten a Final Four every twelve years and precisely one Super Bowl.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

and precisely one Super Bowl.

you meant “the all time greatest Super Bowl of all time”. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

The Vikings and Dolphins would benefit immensely from using their white socks (which every team has) with their colored pants, like other teams have at least tried.

I dislike the leotard look, but I hate plain white socks even more. If @oldschoolvikings is proposing base-white socks with a purple/white/yellow sock stripe like on the white jersey, I’m 100% for that. Unfortunately, because Nike has apparently decreed that striped socks are uncool, that’s unlikely to happen. In that case, I am begrudgingly okay with the leotard look continuing. The Vikings still have one of the better looks in the league, especially considering it’s a Nike-era design. 

7 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I dislike the leotard look, but I hate plain white socks even more. If @oldschoolvikings is proposing base-white socks with a purple/white/yellow sock stripe like on the white jersey, I’m 100% for that. Unfortunately, because Nike has apparently decreed that striped socks are uncool, that’s unlikely to happen. In that case, I am begrudgingly okay with the leotard look continuing. The Vikings still have one of the better looks in the league, especially considering it’s a Nike-era design. 

Stripes would be vastly preferred, though I know teams are too stubborn to add new striped socks at this point, what with them becoming obsolete from players refusing to wear them correctly. At least the plain whites are already in the closet, and Ive more than welcomed them as leotard-breakers any time they’ve been used that way.

FD60165-B-B174-4-EB5-B694-CA3-D9-C0-A3-C

Plain white socks w/ colored pants>leotard, for me.

• Like 14

Why did it become so hard to get NFL players to wear their socks properly? They seemed to demonstrate relative proficiency in wearing shirts, pants, and shoes, but somehow socks became an avenue for personal expression. I don't get it. 

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/27/2022 at 4:05 PM, DouglasQuaid said:

Hopefully the Vikings will bring back the 60s or 90s look when they get their alternate helmet. Both would look amazing!

The last time the Vikings wore a throwback it was to the 70's look.  I guess that made sense from a "best team historically" perspective, but that uniform had the plain numbers, which always clashed with the trimmed stripe, at least to my eyes. The best Viking uniform of all time, IMHO, is the 60's home. spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was before they dropped the number outline. It's beyond gorgeous.  And, as far as history goes, this is the uniform they wore when winning what is technically their only NFL championship. True, they lost the first of their many Superbowls, but it was against an AFL team, the last year before the merger.  But thanks to the SB loss no one really thinks of it as an NFL championship. Understandably, to be honest.

As a bonus, the road version is also drop dead beautiful...

spacer.png

They actually dropped the purple pants for the '66 season, and switched to the LSU knockoff for the white jersey in '69. I know those LSU-like white jerseys are beloved by many Viking fans, but to me this above look is immeasurably superior.

Looking at what Nike was able to do with the Dolphins throwbacks, if I were given the keys to the universe, I'd let them recreate this for the Vikes primary uniform, and call it forever.

• Like 6
  • Love 2