NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

4 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

I agree but it's funny how in your pic Savage has almost entirely hidden his green socks, and Thielen has his knee exposed. Sock aesthetics are a complete mess these days

Thielen has his knee exposed more than likely because the sock happened to slip down on that leg. It has nothing to do with sock aesthetics being a “complete mess”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think the white jersey/pants combo is fine for the Panthers... with blue socks. If anything, that's been their signature look since the founding of the franchise. 

usa_today_10538729.jpg

You’re right about this being a good look, I’m more frustrated about the use of white socks. I don’t mind a lot of modern trends like a number of others do, but the plain white socks trend is just stupid. Just based on things I grew up with, it looked more “professional” to see colored socks with white bottoms, as opposed to the variety of looks you’d see in college and high school. Granted, I don’t always mind it, Philadelphia looked amazing pairing them with green pants, but it just doesn’t feel right and throws off previously fine uniforms, like the Panthers’ white over white. Would the uniform still be devoid of silver below the helmet? Yeah. But the blue socks don’t make it as big of an issue as the white socks do. 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2022 at 4:10 PM, DEAD! said:

Titans wearing all navy blue, but the signage around the field is baby blue... ok... 

Teams do that sometimes. The Patriots had red padding around field level so that it contrasted with the blue and silver jerseys. Probably similar rationale for the Titans.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Teams do that sometimes. The Patriots had red padding around field level so that it contrasted with the blue and silver jerseys. Probably similar rationale for the Titans.

spacer.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

Anyone know the reasoning behind the "all teams must wear socks with white going at least half way up the calf" rule was?  They seemed pretty serious about it since they manufactured special socks to comply.

In baseball, the white bottom was originally for sanitary reasons so the colored dye wouldn't get into your system if you got spiked, but by the time the white-bottom-sock rule came to be in the NFL, that wasn't a concern (at least to my knowledge.)

Was it strictly an aesthetic decision?  Like, the league wanted to differentiate itself from college and mandate a uniform look that they felt was more professional?

Just curious if anyone knows.  I'm partial to the look because honestly it's what I associate with the aesthetic of pro football, and I do think it looks nice and clean, but I can't really think of a good practical reason for it to exist anymore, especially since most (maybe all?) players have eschewed the single-piece sock anyway.  Maybe a case where modern materials and preferences have rendered the white-bottom sock obsolete, just like how stirrups and sanies are obsolete and only worn for fashion now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

The Seahawks wearing Action Green tonight reminds me that I don't hate the color, it's just better if it's used marginally as an accent color. Dressing a team head to toe in it is just straight-up nauseating.

And players think that’s a GOOD look?

Yeah, I love when football players are "into fashion" but it consists of cutting up socks and putting them on their forearms, something an unsupervised eight-year-old would do.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd prefer no non-throwback helmets, but since that door has been opened, I'd be down with a matching 'action green' helmet, or at least a decal that replaces the grey with neon green so that there's some continuity between the helmet and the rest.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Anyone know the reasoning behind the "all teams must wear socks with white going at least half way up the calf" rule was?  They seemed pretty serious about it since they manufactured special socks to comply.

In baseball, the white bottom was originally for sanitary reasons so the colored dye wouldn't get into your system if you got spiked, but by the time the white-bottom-sock rule came to be in the NFL, that wasn't a concern (at least to my knowledge.)

Was it strictly an aesthetic decision?  Like, the league wanted to differentiate itself from college and mandate a uniform look that they felt was more professional?

Just curious if anyone knows.  I'm partial to the look because honestly it's what I associate with the aesthetic of pro football, and I do think it looks nice and clean, but I can't really think of a good practical reason for it to exist anymore, especially since most (maybe all?) players have eschewed the single-piece sock anyway.  Maybe a case where modern materials and preferences have rendered the white-bottom sock obsolete, just like how stirrups and sanies are obsolete and only worn for fashion now.

I'm pretty sure there was a time when the white lower portion was a separate sock. You can see it here, where the players have actually pulled the white sock up over the stripes of the color sock...

spacer.png

And this is a cool picture that's been on this site before of players wearing baseball-style stirrups, which they'd obviously wear a white sock over the top of...

spacer.png

My guess is that eventually the two-sock look just became so identifiable as "NFL" that they started to manufacture the single sock to copy the look.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, BBTV said:

Just guessing here, but I recall seeing pictures of the colored portion of older NFL socks being stirrups, just worn beneath sanitaries rather than over them (first time I played organized football, I was issued stirrups, after that I bought soccer socks).  So probably similar reasoning as baseball...and oldschoolvikings beat me to it. 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, I love when football players are "into fashion" but it consists of cutting up socks and putting them on their forearms, something an unsupervised eight-year-old would do.

Woah, strong disagree there. I've always thought this was a great look for players that play on teams with nice striping patterns. Eric Berry started doing it in the latter portion of his career and it always looked way nicer than the plain black, white, or red sleeve he had worn in the past.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

14 hours ago, henburg said:

The action green with blue pants would actually be an awesome, well-balanced look, but the monochrome is obviously just too much. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing the bottom stripe on the Seahawk be changed to green as well.

Yeah, this uniform with white or green socks wouldn't be a bad alternate look:

spacer.png

I'm curious how the navy jersey would look paired with the green pants.

• Like 9

I have to repectfully disagree with some people here... There isn't much I like about the Seahawks unis including the green jersey. Don't love the navy base of the helmet. The shade of green just doesn't work as a base for a jersey IMO. The "shoulder yoke" is gimmicky. Plus I can do without the number font.  Just don't care for any of it other than the helmet logo. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1