NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

3 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

The issue isn't really the stripes themselves. It's the Nike logo that pushes everything down a bunch. In college it looks fine. 

Iowa football rewind: What can Hawkeyes do to revitalize offense | The  Gazette

Ohio State Buckeyes Football & Basketball News - cleveland.com

This.

This board hates the swoosh on the front of any uniform but it's gotta happen for the sake of getting back full sleeve stripes in the NFL.

• Like 6

I disagree that the college look is any better. They’re still stripes with no logical visual termination. They just “stop”. 

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

45 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I disagree that the college look is any better. They’re still stripes with no logical visual termination. They just “stop”. 

The worst offenders are these kinds of stripes. There’s very little effort involved and it’s clearly just a back of the catalog jersey style

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Hurl 1

In the football concepts I've made, I usually place the Swoosh on the shoulder if possible. If I add a logo or numbers to the shoulder or add stripes that are on the bulkier side, I move it the the collar or on the upper chest like they do in college. I think stripes work perfectly fine on modern templates so long as they have room above and below to breathe. One of my main issues with how the NFL does uniforms is their insistence on the Swoosh on the shoulder cap, which - like @GriffinM6 said - is often the reason why stripes get smushed down on some jersey cuts. The Steelers, Bears, and Lions could easily have perfectly applied stripes if they either shrunk them a tad or moved them farther up the shoulder cap. Teams like the Browns, 49ers, and Vikings all have bulky stripes that work fine in application.

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Maybe it's because I am 32 and never really lived through the full sleeve era, but for me I have no issue with the way sleeve stripes or shoulder stripes terminate, like the examples above and how shoulder stripes stop kind of at 45 degrees, if you will. 

In fact, when LSU tried to elongate the shoulder stripes into the armpit a few years back it made for one of the most ridiculous jerseys I've ever seen. 

Top 10 LSU Football Players For 2016 - Stadium

By far the biggest problem is that they're not being effectively designed to breathe, especially on NFL jerseys. The Lions and Steelers have the biggest issues, because their stripe real estate requirement is too large. ALL they have to do is scale down the stripes. 

• Like 8

22 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

This thought popped into my head earlier today-

If a player’s jersey cut impedes on the majority of the jersey’s sleeve striping-

spacer.png
spacer.png

the player should be required to wear an undershirt that replicates the intended sleeve striping, like so-

spacer.png

(Nebraska’s execution was intentional, but for the sake of the point I’m using it as an example)

I get this is a uniform discussion board but this is Real Housewives of the Gridiron type 💩.

They play football. Not walk the runway at the NY Fashion Show.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 8

25 minutes ago, FSUViking said:

I get this is a uniform discussion board but this is Real Housewives of the Gridiron type 💩.

They play football. Not walk the runway at the NY Fashion Show.

Your first sentence invalidates your second. If you know that this is a uniform disscusion board (where we, IDK, discuss aspects of uniforms?), then why are ou complaining that we are doing the very thing this site was created for us to do.

If ya don't like it, Sorry Channel 9 GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Stopping at the seam on the sleeve seems perfectly logical to me

but the seams aren't part of the design.  Visually, you aren't meant to notice the seam, and from a distance, you can't.  It just looks like the stripe stops for no reason.

We clearly disagree on the effectiveness of stripes when used on such a tiny parcel of space that's shrinking more and more every year.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The worst offenders are these kinds of stripes. There’s very little effort involved and it’s clearly just a back of the catalog jersey style

spacer.png

There's not really any visual difference between how those "terminate" and how ones that go to the seam "terminate".  That's pretty much what I was getting at when I said to make a logo patch that's just the stripes.  Now seeing it in action... it sucks.

17 minutes ago, BBTV said:

There's not really any visual difference between how those "terminate" and how ones that go to the seam "terminate".  That's pretty much what I was getting at when I said to make a logo patch that's just the stripes.  Now seeing it in action... it sucks.

There's plenty of difference of stopping at the seam and stopping in the middle of the sleeve.  Stripes stop at the seam because they have to...the shorter adidas ones don't. 

• Like 11

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's just unsightly to see stripes (like Cleveland, for example) on the chestplate, especially when we are used stripes being on the shoulders and sleeves. 

I liked that Reebox would (unlike Nike) move their logo to accomodate the sleeve design. 

453246555.0.jpgI0000OjCmURC4YuU.jpg8527.jpg2407727.0.jpgfdwynd5bczqrvnfykccrPanthers-007.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I liked that Reebox would (unlike Nike) move their logo to accomodate the sleeve design.

Nike has shown willingness to move their logo to accommodate the sleeve design though, as shown by the two LA teams’ recent redesigns:

wcjmPTO.jpg

6YIHDME.jpg

As you can see, the logo is significantly lower on the sleeve because of both designs.

I can’t think of a specific example off of the top of my head, but I’m almost positive the logo had been placed above the shoulder cap for some other teams’ players, too, especially for bigger lineman where the stripes would get cut off otherwise.

As always, it’s about whether the teams actually want/ask for the logo to be moved slightly, not Nike being unwilling to accommodate.

And as for the sleeve stripe discussion in general, I’m on the younger side so football uniforms have always looked like that to me. Having the stripes cut off at the sleeve cap doesn’t bother me.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

This issue exists because they are applying a graphic to the sleeve cap after the jersey is assembled which reduces the printable area. Custom uniforms are assembled after the striping is done to the individual pieces then sewn.

5 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Maybe it's because I am 32 and never really lived through the full sleeve era, but for me I have no issue with the way sleeve stripes or shoulder stripes terminate, like the examples above and how shoulder stripes stop kind of at 45 degrees, if you will. 

In fact, when LSU tried to elongate the shoulder stripes into the armpit a few years back it made for one of the most ridiculous jerseys I've ever seen. 

Top 10 LSU Football Players For 2016 - Stadium

By far the biggest problem is that they're not being effectively designed to breathe, especially on NFL jerseys. The Lions and Steelers have the biggest issues, because their stripe real estate requirement is too large. ALL they have to do is scale down the stripes. 

Well, I'm older than 32 and lived through the day where full shoulder stripes weren't an issue. And I hate that full shoulder stripes don't seem possible any more. As an LSU alum, I hate the half-stripe stuff, but I also don't like the shoulder stripe bumping into the sleeve stripe.

Sucks that for all of Nike's bells and whistles, they can't do the foundational things correctly.