NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

7 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Nike has shown willingness to move their logo to accommodate the sleeve design though, as shown by the two LA teams’ recent redesigns:

wcjmPTO.jpg

6YIHDME.jpg

As you can see, the logo is significantly lower on the sleeve because of both designs.

I can’t think of a specific example off of the top of my head, but I’m almost positive the logo had been placed above the shoulder cap for some other teams’ players, too, especially for bigger lineman where the stripes would get cut off otherwise.

As always, it’s about whether the teams actually want/ask for the logo to be moved slightly, not Nike being unwilling to accommodate.

And as for the sleeve stripe discussion in general, I’m on the younger side so football uniforms have always looked like that to me. Having the stripes cut off at the sleeve cap doesn’t bother me.

The Raiders have their Nike logos almost on top of the shoulders

Carr-0x0_c.jpg

• Like 5

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

By "accommodating", you mean "integrating it into the uniform".  It's basically a team logo patch.  If you swapped that Nike out for an Adidas, RBK, or Puma logo, it changes the uniform.

Nike has so many people fooled into thinking it's "just" a manufacturer logo (which is BS to begin with - my suit doesn't have the designer's logo on it) when it's not only an advertisement, but in some cases it's so tightly-integrated with the team's brand that it's hard to tell where one stops and one starts.

Would the defenders of the Nike logo being anything other than a bought-and-paid-for advertisment feel differently if their logo was uglier?  What if Puma got the contract again and their logo was front-and-center on the Seahawks sleeve, the Titans sleeve (in red), or the Chargers sleeve (under the bolt)?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi6R_F1i1AiUixwAODlcC 

Or if GAP decided to make athletic uniforms like Aeropostale did a few years ago, and this was on the sleeve?

The-Old-Gap-Logo.png

It just so happens that the swoosh is arguably the best company logo ever, and "works" in a lot of places.  But we have to look at jersey advertisers as interchangeable - there's absolutely no other way to look at it.  And is it really interchangeable?  You could say that it was back when teams flip flopped between Wilson, Russel, Reebok, Puma, etc., but those logos were slapped on wherever on the sleeve, and not integrated into the design the way Nike has done.  They all sucked, but the Nike strategy - while absolutely brilliant from their perspective (seriously - I think their people deserve raises for how they've pulled this brand-integration off) is awful from a jersey-lover's perspective.

wcjmPTO.jpg

• Like 6
  • Yawn 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

By "accommodating", you mean "integrating it into the uniform".  It's basically a team logo patch.  If you swapped that Nike out for an Adidas, RBK, or Puma logo, it changes the uniform.

Nike has so many people fooled into thinking it's "just" a manufacturer logo (which is BS to begin with - my suit doesn't have the designer's logo on it) when it's not only an advertisement, but in some cases it's so tightly-integrated with the team's brand that it's hard to tell where one stops and one starts.

Would the defenders of the Nike logo being anything other than a bought-and-paid-for advertisment feel differently if their logo was uglier?  What if Puma got the contract again and their logo was front-and-center on the Seahawks sleeve, the Titans sleeve (in red), or the Chargers sleeve (under the bolt)?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi6R_F1i1AiUixwAODlcC 

Or if GAP decided to make athletic uniforms like Aeropostale did a few years ago, and this was on the sleeve?

The-Old-Gap-Logo.png

It just so happens that the swoosh is arguably the best company logo ever, and "works" in a lot of places.  But we have to look at jersey advertisers as interchangeable - there's absolutely no other way to look at it.  And is it really interchangeable?  You could say that it was back when teams flip flopped between Wilson, Russel, Reebok, Puma, etc., but those logos were slapped on wherever on the sleeve, and not integrated into the design the way Nike has done.  They all sucked, but the Nike strategy - while absolutely brilliant from their perspective (seriously - I think their people deserve raises for how they've pulled this brand-integration off) is awful from a jersey-lover's perspective.

wcjmPTO.jpg

As a designer it's the WORST logo ever. Do you know how many times I've had a client ask for "something like Nike"? The logo isn't great, the company is just dominant in their industry. If they fell into the depths of LA Gear or British Knights we wouldn't be asking why they failed despite such an iconic logo. I get it, It is an iconic logo, but only when attached to one one the biggest success stories in history. Put Lotto's logo in its place and we'd be talking about how it's instantly recognizable to 99% of the world.

• Dislike 6

All this arguing about stripes is pointless when you don't mention the cuts of modern jerseys. You can complain all you want but this is the modern way. We will never return to the days of yore with monster shoulder pads and 4XL jerseys with borderline long sleeves.

Where exactly are you supposed to put a full sleeve stripe on a jersey like this?

spacer.png

This cut just ain't coming back

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

41 minutes ago, BigDmo said:

All this arguing about stripes is pointless when you don't mention the cuts of modern jerseys. You can complain all you want but this is the modern way. We will never return to the days of yore with monster shoulder pads and 4XL jerseys with borderline long sleeves.

Where exactly are you supposed to put a full sleeve stripe on a jersey like this?

Dolphins to wear throwback uniforms Sunday vs. Buffalo – Sun Sentinel

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
  • Dislike 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

38 minutes ago, BigDmo said:

spacer.png

This cut just ain't coming back

spacer.png

You're correct but you need to compare apples to apples...using a qb jersey as an example of an old cut is not really an accurate portrayal...also is that an on field elway jersey, a retail authentic, or a counterfeit?

40 minutes ago, BigDmo said:

spacer.png

Since TV numbers aren't required, you could run it vertically from collar to cuff.  

I'd say that most teams should just drop stripes altogether, but for ones that have too much of a history, the vertical option would be the best way to go.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Since TV numbers aren't required, you could run it vertically from collar to cuff.  

I'd say that most teams should just drop stripes altogether, but for ones that have too much of a history, the vertical option would be the best way to go.

Vertical stripes would be interrupted by the Nike swoosh. You didn't see it on Texas A&M because college has the maker's mark (adidas for A&M) on the front.  "Here's this vertical stripe/Nike logo/remainder of the stripe and it looks great!" - no one will ever say. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Vertical stripes would be interrupted by the Nike swoosh. You didn't see it on Texas A&M because college has the maker's mark (adidas for A&M) on the front.  "Here's this vertical stripe/Nike logo/remainder of the stripe and it looks great!" - no one will ever say. 

that's a fair point - I hadn't really considered that.  Would still like to see it mocked up just to see how intrusive it would be.  

At least the vertical stripe would have more stripe that's not interrupted, vs the tiny-truncated stripe that is currently on teams' sleeve caps.  Not idea either way, but until I see a Bears or Steelers jersey with the vertical stripe (and swoosh), I'd have to think that's still the better way to maintain the look.

• Like 1

Vertical stripes just don't work the same way. Rotating a historically thick stripe like the Steelers or Dolphins would just look weird, especially given the variance of jersey cuts. Plus, the way the shoulder seam is constructed, vertical stripes would have an awkward kink in them. I'd much rather stripes cut off at an "arbitrary" point than look skewed, bumpy, or plain weird.

• Like 10

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

On second thought, disregard what I said about an awkward bend. The Titans old sets and Texas A&M's uniforms looked fine with large vertical looks. I stand by my statement that such treatment would look horrendous on the Steelers or Dolphins throwbacks.

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

25 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

To BBTV's point, the team where this has bothered me the most is the KC Chiefs. Their stripe is supposed to go around the cuff, like so:image-placeholder-title.jpg1200x0.jpg

...nowadays they just terminate at the seam:

1339924074-850x560.jpeg

I like that way versus most of the stripe not being visible because it gets shoved underneath the shoulder pad. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

To BBTV's point, the team where this has bothered me the most is the KC Chiefs. Their stripe is supposed to go around the cuff, like so:image-placeholder-title.jpg1200x0.jpg

...nowadays they just terminate at the seam:

1339924074-850x560.jpeg

This might be an unpopular opinion, but that looks substantially worse on a modern template. The TV numbers are super smushed and the cuff striping isn't emphasized enough due to its small scale. You've proposed a more egregious example of the problem with the Panthers' current set, except with an obvious fix: Just do what they do now. I've never been super fond of cuff details because they get smushed by shoulder cuts and don't give the stripes any room to breathe. The Chief's switch from cuff stripes to sleeve stripes and moving the TV numbers to the shoulders instead of sleeve caps turned their look from a forgettable old-timey set to a classic uniform that fits perfectly with modern NFL aesthetics. 

(I meant to quote your sketch of the cuff striping on today's template, my bad)

• Like 5

lBzmcSM.png

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Dolphins to wear throwback uniforms Sunday vs. Buffalo – Sun Sentinel

Yes but this still terminates at the seam which is what everyone has been arguing over. My point is that there is no way to create a hoop with modern day cuts. Today's stripes are the modern recreation of the old days where jerseys had full sleeves to do so. Modern problems require modern solutions

• Like 9

1 hour ago, PERRIN said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but that looks substantially worse on a modern template. The TV numbers are super smushed and the cuff striping isn't emphasized enough due to its small scale. You've proposed a more egregious example of the problem with the Panthers' current set, except with an obvious fix: Just do what they do now. I've never been super fond of cuff details because they get smushed by shoulder cuts and don't give the stripes any room to breathe. The Chief's switch from cuff stripes to sleeve stripes and moving the TV numbers to the shoulders instead of sleeve caps turned their look from a forgettable old-timey set to a classic uniform that fits perfectly with modern NFL aesthetics. 

(I meant to quote your sketch of the cuff striping on today's template, my bad)

From a practicality standpoint, you are correct, but for me personally, it just bugs me for teams like the Bears & Chiefs, who actually went into the 2000s keeping the stripes and the TV numbers on the sleeve (when most teams switched to TV numbers on the shoulders), to finally cave in and make the change. While they are obviously the same team, my mind keeps saying that the current version is innaccurate because of the shoulder TV numbers.

maxresdefault.jpg1344834250.0.jpg

• Like 1