NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

11 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I mean, wouldn't a proper throwback feature the old NFL shield logo at midfield? I know why it doesn't - the franchise doesn't want to associate with Jerry Richardson's preferences any more than they absolutely have to - but the field design as-is isn't one that Sam Mills ever played on coached on, right? Wasn't it 2018 after Tepper became owner that the Panthers finally put their logo at midfield?

Yes, when Tepper became the owner, he put the logo at mid field. I never liked the shield at midfield. I thought it was lazy and not practical on Richardson's part. If I recall (and this was years ago), I read that he put the shield at midfield as a thank you to the NFL for giving them a franchise. And yes, Mills never played/coached with the panther head at midfield. I enjoyed seeing the old designs today.

• Like 4

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

i didn't mind the throwback logo and wordmark this week , but without our classic unis, it seemed half executed.  i still prefer the 2012 wordmarks and solid color fill end zones like the previous photo and the yellow eyes (which have been blue for 3 seasons now).  Tep has done a lot of appeasing the fans as far as logo at midfield vs shield ( i think only the Panthers and Giants had the shield at midfield), and all of the uni/pant/sock color variations , and now helmet alt.  the play has been much worse than the game day and stadium adjustments.  the attention and focus or distraction on MLS soccer hasn't helped a lot of the old school NFL fans here.  like the new kids are moving in "on our turf", literally... which had been grass prior.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

16 hours ago, BBTV said:

My first thought when I saw a highlight of that game was that it was Steelers v Cowboys, and the Steelers were wearing their throwback/color rush black jersey with the yellow numbers.  I wasn't listening to the sound, so it wasn't until the graphic came up at the end of the clip that I realized it was the 32s.

What an awful uniform and an overall awful rebrand.  THEY HAD TWO YEARS!  Shoulda stuck with WFT for another year (or permanently) if that's what it would have taken for them to get it right.

The unfortunate thing is the name "Commanders" — while not everybody's favorite choice — isn't bad. Considering the other choices, and the clear objective of trying to distance themselves from the prior name, I thought it worked. It's unique in big-league sports, and doesn't feel out of place among the pantheon of NFL names. 

But the branding around it is so terrible that it taints the name. I can't not associate "Commanders" with this atrocious look.  

They'll speak about this in college marketing classes some day as what not to do. 

• Like 4

After ~1/4th of the season has come and gone, here’s some things I like about the Mandies set

1. The Primary Helmet- it’s absolutely beautiful. Aside from the burgundy facemask, it’s everything I could’ve asked for in a new helmet

2. The new sleeve stripes on the yet-to-be-seen burgundy jerseys- They just look really good and are an improvement over the previous striping

3. The “home and away” script on the burgundy “COMMANDERS” and white “WASHINGTON” jerseys- I wish more teams would follow this. It’s a nice quirk to add to a uniform.

4. The active avoidance of the monochrome look (outside of the all black). They’ve done a good job at refusing to don all white so far. We haven’t seen the burgundy yet and I’m sure we’ll get all burgundy at some point. But history shows they rarely do something like that.

Now, the things I hate

1. The black uniform- All of it. It feels so disconnected and ill advised. Enough said.

2. Stripe-less pants. How hard was it to just add a singular stripe to the pants? At least the black pants technically do have a stripe.

3. The addition of black in general- it was Dan Snyder’s wet dream to do this and he got his wish. The only way I’d like black to be included is a black facemask and nowhere else al a Vikings

4. The unnecessary addition of the lines above and below “COMMANDERS” on the burgundy jersey and the oversized lettering- It’s not even needed.

5. The Bengals jr font w/ stenciling- This team had two years to do this and the best they could do is a rip off/generic font for the wordmark and numbering.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

They'll speak about this in college marketing classes some day as what not to do. 

The entire Snyder organization is What Not To Do. Don't let your 23-year-old stadium fall into more decay than the Roman Colosseum. Don't pretend like you won't back down from controversy and then immediately back down. Don't hire Steve Spurrier. Don't get involved in sex trafficking. Weird black camouflage pants, don't want to do that either. 

• Like 11

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

After ~1/4th of the season has come and gone, here’s some things I like about the Mandies set

1. The Primary Helmet- it’s absolutely beautiful. Aside from the burgundy facemask, it’s everything I could’ve asked for in a new helmet

2. The new sleeve stripes on the yet-to-be-seen burgundy jerseys- They just look really good and are an improvement over the previous striping

3. The “home and away” script on the burgundy “COMMANDERS” and white “WASHINGTON” jerseys- I wish more teams would follow this. It’s a nice quirk to add to a uniform.

4. The active avoidance of the monochrome look (outside of the all black). They’ve done a good job at refusing to don all white so far. We haven’t seen the burgundy yet and I’m sure we’ll get all burgundy at some point. But history shows they rarely do something like that.

Now, the things I hate

1. The black uniform- All of it. It feels so disconnected and ill advised. Enough said.

2. Stripe-less pants. How hard was it to just add a singular stripe to the pants? At least the black pants technically do have a stripe.

3. The addition of black in general- it was Dan Snyder’s wet dream to do this and he got his wish. The only way I’d like black to be included is a black facemask and nowhere else al a Vikings

4. The unnecessary addition of the lines above and below “COMMANDERS” on the burgundy jersey and the oversized lettering- It’s not even needed.

5. The Bengals jr font w/ stenciling- This team had two years to do this and the best they could do is a rip off/generic font for the wordmark and numbering.

This is far too generous. The only thing they've managed that hasn't been a mistake is the W primary. It's perfectly fine. 

But even stuff that seems like a home run, like the helmet or burgundy jersey has something wrong. 

The jersey has that collegiate wordmark that just ruins it. And the helmet botches thins with a dumb satin finish and a single stripe that matches nothing else. 

The most damning thing is that the Edmonton Eskimos turned Elks found themselves in the same position and pulled off a better name, logo, and uniform set in half the time with a fraction of the money. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

But is it really "home and away" scripts if they wear the "away" at home and the "home" never?

In principle I like it, but it doesn't work in football unless you have two of each primary-color jersey since at the very least, you'll end up wearing your "home" jersey in Dallas pretty much every year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

This is far too generous. The only thing they've managed that hasn't been a mistake is the W primary. It's perfectly fine. 

That there is the appropriate application of damning with faint praise: "It's perfectly fine."

• Like 4

On 10/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, FiddySicks said:

I know people have this weird thing agains “monochrome”, but the Bengals in black jerseys and pants with the striped helmets and orange socks is one of the best looking football uniforms I’ve ever seen. That has to be included because it

looks fantastic. 

spacer.png

My GOODNESS does that look good. 

It definitely looks great. I didn't include because I have an arbitrary resistance to more than 4 combinations.

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

3. The addition of black in general- it was Dan Snyder’s wet dream to do this and he got his wish.

Anyone have a lead on why?

I've heard this story a couple of times on the boards but I haven't seen an article to that effect or an explanation as to Snyder's interest in BFBS.

I mean this is low on the list of problems with that organization but still curious, or at least less actively appalled. 

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Anyone have a lead on why?

I've heard this story a couple of times on the boards but I haven't seen an article to that effect or an explanation as to Snyder's interest in BFBS.

I mean this is low on the list of problems with that organization but still curious, or at least less actively appalled. 

The main reason for that, I figure, is an old PDF from Gameplan Creative that had various redesigns of Washington's uniforms, all of which included black in some form and most of which were butt ugly.  Among the little that wasn't crappy looking was a set based on the 70th anniversary uniform but with the regular shades of burgundy and gold.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 hour ago, Discrim said:

The main reason for that, I figure, is an old PDF from Gameplan Creative that had various redesigns of Washington's uniforms, all of which included black in some form and most of which were butt ugly.  Among the little that wasn't crappy looking was a set based on the 70th anniversary uniform but with the regular shades of burgundy and gold.

Was that this?

https://megan-wood-w5nc.squarespace.com/identity-washingtonredskinsbrandstudy

I assume that because it was a collaboration with the team that the theory is that BFBS came from the top?

Without having to dig through 170 pages and me being too technologically impaired, did anyone notice the bucs now use black helmet clips? Does anyone else use colored clips? I thought they were all clear

KISSwall09.jpg

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Was that this?

I assume that because it was a collaboration with the team that the theory is that BFBS came from the top?

4 hours ago, Discrim said:

The first set's not that bad. That's just 2000's Lions. The rest are trash. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Was that this?

Basically...there were a few more designs that page doesn't show (among them, a black version of the now-old jersey), as well as a few black helmet designs, but you're not missing much.  And yes, that's probably how the theory came about.  Guess Snyder hadn't thought any of these were good enough to pull the trigger, otherwise we'd have seen a black 32's uniform much earlier.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 10/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, CDCLT said:

I much prefer the modern wordmark, but only when we do this:

School Tours | Carolina Panthers - Panthers.com

I hope after CLTFC's season ends we go back to the fully colored endzones. The wordmark with a stroke is super boring.

What did we get this design for - 2 years? It was perfect and should be brought back and never touched again.

Side note: the midfield logo was noticeably larger with the old logo this past week than in the photo shown. I liked the bigger size but yeah, this wordmark is 1000% better than the old one.

PPS: This past week was the exact right way to use a throwback. It should be as a once-in-a-blue moon special occasion with a REASON behind it. Using throwbacks as standard alternates drives me crazy.

• Like 4

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

4 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

What did we get this design for - 2 years? It was perfect and should be brought back and never touched again.

Side note: the midfield logo was noticeably larger with the old logo this past week than in the photo shown. I liked the bigger size but yeah, this wordmark is 1000% better than the old one.

PPS: This past week was the exact right way to use a throwback. It should be as a once-in-a-blue moon special occasion with a REASON behind it. Using throwbacks as standard alternates drives me crazy.

Miami and San Francisco need to see this