NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

1 hour ago, PERRIN said:

I did include a navy jersey when I made that concept (as well as an Oilers throwback just for kicks and giggles; I know it's legally impossible but I'm having fun with my concepts haha), but the whole experiment of the concept was to see what a redesigned red-first set would look like for the Texans. The striping was indeed inspired by the Texas flag. I steered away from stars on the navy segments to avoid similarities to the Cowboys, plus it just looked a bit cartoonish for my taste. Ignore the TV numbers; I initially included them before realizing they didn't fit, so I removed them in the later version that I posted in this thread. As for the number font idea, I'd be fine with that as well. Admittedly my custom font was a bit rushed. That 4 looks wonkier every time I look at it. 

1jwO4h5.png

Very cool to see people here on the boards involved with making actual uniforms. I'd love to hear more about what that job is like, that'd be a dream job for me.

Also, a lil fun fact, I met the great-great-great-grandson of Stetson University's founder when I was younger, he was named after the school. He was a friend of my neighbor and went to my church before I started attending. Solid kid, great at pickup football. 

I didn’t know this was your work!  Well-done.  

I’d love to see the Navy jersey with Red Yokes and White Sleeve Caps.  

The White jersey is perfect, though I think the number colors would be best inverted if being worn with Navy pants.  

Both of those sets would look incredible with a Navy helmet/Red mask.  The White pants are perfect.  Number font isn’t bad, the details fit.  I think if they were slightly  wider and had square edges, they’d be really good.

As far as designing uniforms for a living, on my side of things, it wasn’t nearly as glamorous as it seems:  I worked for the country’s largest team sporting goods dealer, and we were the main team dealers to small colleges, high schools and everything lower for Nike, UA, and most of the major brands of apparel, uniforms, and equipment  except adidas.   Sounds super cool, but honestly, it was a nightmare.  

The cool part was working with some of the coaches and ADs and bringing brands like Nike and UA to them, but most folks in that field aren’t that smart, aren’t that professional, and have egos the size of Texas.  In the instances where I was given the trust to do my job, the freedom to deliver was great.  

Most of the time, though, you just had to give the customer what they wanted, even if it was terrible and they didn’t know it.  People in those jobs are super cheap, don’t get paid much, and thus expect everything for free.  Very frustrating.  

Things became 100x worse when on our side, our business infrastructure was horrific, support was non-existent, and pay was peanuts.  

On top of all that, Nike & UA didn’t give a crap about us, and didn’t give a crap about having inventory or delivering on-time.  

Most stressful job of my life and I never even crossed 6 figures in a year.  Don’t get me started on the decoration side of the business or the corporate culture.

Now, I sell blank t-shirts, fleece, and onesies for a manufacturer most people have never heard of, have bosses that let me do my job, and make 4-5x what I made selling Nike & UA, without any of the stress or headaches.

So, my advice to you if you want to be in the uniform design biz is to get in the door with Nike or UA or Adidas or New Balance etc.  Don’t do what I did and think you’ll get in the door by starting on the sales side.  

Stetson has a neat brand, but it was presented so poorly when I took over the account.  I was only servicing them for about a year or so before I took my current job, but so much of that comes down to who is managing the brand at each institution.  You’ve gotta have someone like us doing it or else you get a complete mess. 

Just turned this Texans game on.  I hate these Red helmets.   If they do a redesign, it needs to be White with Navy facemask or Navy with Red facemask.  

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 9:38 AM, aawagner011 said:

Apparently the Texans have begun early exploration on updating their uniforms. I would put Houston firmly in the category of solid, modern uniforms that could so very easily be tossed aside for the next Nike monstrosity. The article says fans have been clamoring for new uniforms but a lot of times, you don’t realize how good you have it until you’re wearing a gradient with wordmarks down the leg and shiny trim. I would be happy if they stuck with what they have.

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/how-the-battle-red-helmet-inspired-a-texans-uniform-change

On 11/3/2022 at 10:14 AM, shstpt1 said:

I would be happy with either swapping the Red jersey to primary so you have Navy/Red/White as your main combo, or the Red helmet as the primary helmet, and go Red/Navy/White. Something to break up all the navy. It just looks so dingy most of the time. I like the design, but... something to freshen it up would be nice. 

On 11/3/2022 at 10:15 AM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The Texans cannot realistically get better with any uniform change. They have one of the most solid identities in the NFL, with a great name & logo, colors that suit the area and the team, and a design that seems traditional and modern at the same time.

They should never change.

The Texans getting new uniforms is a very interesting premise. I agree with @LA Fakers+ LA Snippers that, realistically, an update would likely not be an improvement, as they already have a solid, if uninspiring, identity. I think all they'd really need to do is get some more red in there, either by making the red jersey or the helmet the primary, as @shstpt1 suggested. Going back to red socks on the away would be essential as well. I prefer the red numbers of the Color Rush too, although that's probably an unpopular opinion.

I feel this might end up as a situation similar to the Titans where it seemed like they could use an update before it happened, but once we saw what the update actually ended up being, we wished they could go back to the old uniform. I still can't help but be curious what Nike/Houston come up with though, especially since the "Texans" name is so ambiguous & doesn't offer much inspiration in itself design-wise.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Volt said:

Lastly, I'd like to see bolder, square-edged fonts come back into play.   One of the last projects I worked on at my former employer was designing new football uniforms for Stetson University.  They have a proprietary font that isn't my favorite, but works well here with how big we were able to get Nike to make them (10" front, 12" back...Nike Team originally had 8" front, 10" back, then went to 10"/12", and is now back to 9"/11"):

312554542_444473761159355_60607525888634

308860566_5516849608400301_1482012379682

NOTE:  I had no say in the helmet stripe, that was existing.  And I pushed for matching striped socks but it was a no-go.

I don't want to derail to thread, but as a Stetson alum you did a great job updating the uniforms and including the apple green. Wish we would use pants stripes too, but I can imagine that wasn't your call, much like the helmet stripe. 

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, Cujo said:

LFGGGGGGGGGGG

Fgr6WXPVsAEW8Pf?format=png&name=360x360

D3cTPPxWwAA0oj1?format=jpg&name=medium

Wouldn’t be surprised if they did this but with navy, even if meant looking like 2000s FAU 

Florida atlantic quarterback rusty smith hi-res stock photography and  images - Alamy

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they did this but with navy. 

Nah. Just use Red, White & Love ya.

It's not like the Titans are using those colors anymore.

henryderrick-atarmslength.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

12 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I know everyone loves the Oilers, but the Texans need to stay as far away from them as possible.

See, I disagree; because at this point we have the Bears, Cowboys, Broncos, Texans, Chargers, Patriots, Seahawks and Titans all using some variation of navy blue in their uniform sets, and the Texans and Patriots use extremely similar shades to boot.

Meanwhile, the only NFL teams to really use powder in any way right now are the Chargers and Titans. In terms of standing out, powder would be much more eye-catching than navy and tie nicely back into Houston's history with the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

Just now, Ridleylash said:

See, I disagree; because at this point we have the Bears, Cowboys, Broncos, Texans, Chargers, Patriots, Seahawks and Titans all using some variation of navy blue in their uniform sets, and the Texans and Patriots use extremely similar shades to boot.

Meanwhile, the only NFL teams to really use powder in any way right now are the Chargers and Titans. In terms of standing out, powder would be much more eye-catching among the league's teams than navy and tie nicely back into Houston's history with the NFL.

But if you're the current Houston team, you shouldn't try to look like the old Houston team. Especially if you can't use the Oilers name. It'd be like minor league baseball teams wearing their major league team's old uniforms.

• Like 5

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

But if you're the current Houston team, you shouldn't try to look like the old Houston team

But it's totally OK for Cleveland to get an expansion team and copy every-single-thing about the old Cleveland team. 🥴

• Like 2
  • Yawn 4
  • Dislike 2

6uXNWAo.png

10 hours ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

The Texans could revive their set if they started wearing red pants at home and on the road. The red helmet would look good with them too. I didn't think that the helmet matched the jersey well tonight, but it would work better with the blue top.

I'd add the caveat that they'd need to be wearing the red helmet and should avoid monochrome red. It's still workable though, just like at these, and avoid gradient helmets:

Wade: For AAF and Memphis Express, it was always fourth-and-long - Memphis  Local, Sports, Business & Food News | Daily Memphian

How to watch Christian Hackenberg and the Memphis Express in Week 3 AAF  action at Orlando on Saturday night - pennlive.com

Pine-Richland experience paying off for Tyler King at Stony Brook |  Pittsburgh Post-GazetteStony Brook Football is Coming | | SBU News

Football upsets No. 22 Stony Brook, 20-14 - University of New Hampshire  Athletics

• Like 4

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png