2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

13 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I mean it’s not like any other franchises are going to reference the Barons

Are the Barons worth referencing? 

I mean I guess it doesn't matter. The Rockies aren't worth referencing, but two teams did... 

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

I mean I guess it doesn't matter. The Rockies aren't worth referencing, but two teams did... 

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Great Moments in Hockey Rockies History

1. Don Cherry Was Annoying One Time

2. [SCENE MISSING]

I'm a couple years younger than the baseball Rockies so I don't know what, if any, issue there was with the baseball team taking the hockey team name back then, but I think if your name has been taken by a different professional team in a different professional sport, you're a bit irrelevant as a franchise.

I can't even say that the hockey Rockies held much of a position in the "vintage hockey apparel" world that some other teams have until the Avs started playing dress-up (again, also a bit of a sign of irrelevance if an unrelated team starts wearing your logo and nobody has a problem with it). When I think of the Rockies, all I know is that Lanny MacDonald and Wilf Paiement played for them.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I'm a couple years younger than the baseball Rockies so I don't know what, if any, issue there was with the baseball team taking the hockey team name back then, but I think if your name has been taken by a different professional team in a different professional sport, you're a bit irrelevant as a franchise.

So... the Toronto Maple Leafs are irrelevant then...

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

2 hours ago, DEAD! said:

So... the Toronto Maple Leafs are irrelevant then...

The orignal Toronto Maple Leafs Baseball Team was founded in 1896 and left for Louisville in 1968, being renamed the Louisville Colonels. The current Baseball Maple Leafs are semi-pro.

The Hockey Toronto Maple Leafs took that name in 1927.

12 hours ago, IceCap said:

Probably not. In their brief existance, the team never reached the playoffs and didn't exactly move the needle in terms of attendance, though to be fair, the latter was partly due to an arena built between Cleveland and Akron.

mhumqu69gmygtpotuldzyypm5.gif

ae3qr3p2lqfnrbrdfkf6ffcmf.gif

Apart from chevron trim on the sleeves (pretty innovative for the time period) and sleeve numbers inside an outline of Ohio, their jerseys weren't anything special and neither was their crest. I'm sure the Blue Jackets could use the two elements if they wanted without any trouble in future designs without doing a reverse retro of the Barons uniform.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I'm sure the Blue Jackets could use the two elements if they wanted without any trouble in future designs without doing a reverse retro of the Barons uniform.

I'm reminded of people thinking the Islanders needed to homage the New York/Brooklyn Americans in some form while they were playing in Brooklyn. And sure to uni fans like us that seems cool but... the Islanders won four Cups and defined an era of the league. The Americans were a footnote that never amounted to much outside of being the answer to the trivia night question "what was New York's first NHL team?"

I guess what I'm getting at is that not every old team is worth homaging. Though they probably all will be at some point just because the current business model trends towards it. Not every team is as bad as the NBA with four alternates per season but we're getting there in other leagues. And you can only run through so many new uniforms before you run out of things to homage or even just ideas in general.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ark said:

More creativity = good

Nope. Just look at the NBA. They run through at least two new alternates per team a year. And they're scraping the bottom of the barrel. 

Used to be a team would get an alternate and that would be their alternate for at least a few seasons. And if they replaced it then whatever they replaced it with would be the alternate for a few seasons. 

Now teams have home and road looks, an alternate, and then often one or two speciality uniforms that get changed annually. More in the NBA's case. 

They burn through ideas. They burn through throwbacks to homage. And it just ends up with uniform make-work. 

"What if we took the most famous sweater in hockey but made it powder blue because Expos?" doesn't help the Canadiens or the league. It just looks stupid. 

• Like 5
  • Yawn 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:53 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Do they release reverse retro gear like hats and shirts? I'm dying for a sharks RR hat! My sharks hats are about 30 years old.

Probably in November when the teams can sell the jerseys too.  I know there was a good amount of gear sold for the Lightning.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 8:17 AM, IceCap said:

NO! Better yet, not only are they not worth referencing, they're one of the worst franchises in professional sports history and it's a dumb stretch of a reference. There's lifelong Cleveland residents in their 50's who don't know Cleveland had an NHL team. They were an attendance disaster, they were an on-ice disaster, they were a front office disaster who required a loan from the NHL to finish the 76-77 season. They hold the ignominious title of being the last franchise in the NHL, NBA, NFL, or MLB to fold and they only made it two seasons. Cleveland, while yes also in Ohio, while yes the home of our AHL team, is two whole ass hours away and is not the same city. It's not even all that similar. "But they used Ohio in their logo" I DON'T CARE. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

NO! Better yet, not only are they not worth referencing, they're one of the worst franchises in professional sports history and it's a dumb stretch of a reference. There's lifelong Cleveland residents in their 50's who don't know Cleveland had an NHL team. They were an attendance disaster, they were an on-ice disaster, they were a front office disaster who required a loan from the NHL to finish the 76-77 season. They hold the ignominious title of being the last franchise in the NHL, NBA, NFL, or MLB to fold and they only made it two seasons. Cleveland, while yes also in Ohio, while yes the home of our AHL team, is two whole ass hours away and is not the same city. It's not even all that similar. "But they used Ohio in their logo" I DON'T CARE. 

When the Barons and North Stars merged,  the merger deal was written on a cocktail napkin in a bar in Czechoslovakia, and after the board of governers approved the merger, one of the governers was quoted as saying "All we did was take two bags of :censored: and merged them into one bag of :censored:."

• Like 1

The Catch of the Day!

On 10/21/2022 at 7:21 AM, Sport said:

Two things:

1. rumblings are that they're going to be going with the cannon look full time with a matching white sweater in the next season or two so that might be why they didn't do that. 

2. The original third jersey used black* so that's how they got away with it here.

*and it looked dynamite

darryl-sydor-of-the-columbus-blue-jacket

I was hoping they would just flip around the navy and black parts, but nope, too easy. It's a let down. 

Man the white cannon jersey as a full timer would be sweet. I guess I didn't really notice the black in the original so that makes a little more sense but it still seems like a miss. Going with the gray or silver in the logo instead would've been a better call but I'm sure they're restricted a little bit with the reverse retro concept. 

• Like 2