2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

The only conclusion I can draw is that people in media really want you to like the Florida Panthers right now

The media is focusing on an entertaining team that has made the playoffs the last couple of years, was the highest scoring team in the league and won the President's Trophy last year, and is off to a strong start this year?  I'm having trouble trying to find a media conspiracy here.

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Anaheim- Love it, love how it reminds me of the Eden Hall Ducks logo from the end of D3. This should be the basis of a full-time look. 

Arizona- This has reached the point where the original has been tweaked so often it's lost all value. The original was 90s cheese. The first RR was a clever switch up. This just doesn't work and highlights the problem of the katchina Coyotes look- what is their colour scheme anyway?

Boston- Looks alright. This look is perfect for RR. Nothing the team would ever entertain bringing back full time but very fun as a limited time promotion. 

Buffalo- It's whatever. Straight outta the CCSLC Concepts section circa 2007. The goat head was never my favourite.

Calgary- Very sharp, I love it. Like with the originals though, the look is held back by the pedestal stripes.

Carolina- whatever... the Redneck Rangers look is just so uninspired.

Chicago- gah... I get it. They want to move on from the Native imagery and I guess this is a Beta test for a Chief-less future but... you need something to replace it with. A "CHICAGO" wordmark won't do it. 

Colorado- A Rockies homage?!?!

Columbus- The black sleeves were an odd choice at the time, but it's cool they leaned into it here. 

Dallas- It's a love letter to my favourite era of Dallas Stars uniform history so I'm all for it. 

Detroit- The Red Wings have history with red and gold as the Falcons. Maybe something there? No? Black? Sure that's just as good I guess. 

Total trash. 

Edmonton- ROBO SPERM! Like Boston I love this. It's a look you're never going to bring back full time but it's a fun for a limited time promotion. I had one of the originals back in the day. May have to get a new one. 

Florida- I get where the powder blue comes from... it just seems odd? I'd like this a hell of a lot better if the primary logo was shrunk a bit. It's gigantic. 

Los Angles- It's a neat concept but something about this look in white doesn't work for me. It seems lacking. 

Minnesota- This look is always bangin'

Montreal- I don't care about homaging the Expos. The. Habs. Should. Not. Wear. Blue. 

Nashville- I love the idea of bringing back this ugly as sin look, but it should be navy. 

New Jersey- ANOTHER ROCKIES HOMAGE?!?!

New York Islanders- I love the idea but they didn't go far enough. I get that the original was VERY out there with the wavy striping and numbers and they didn't have to go all in on that here. But some aqua stripes and lighthouse alternate logos are desperately missed. 

New York Rangers- Lady Liberty alts in royal blue? Eh why not... it works. 

Ottawa Senators- These are hilariously bad. 

Philadelphia Flyers- A jersey design so uninspiring they had to bring the long pants back to make it worthwhile. 

Pittsburgh Penguins- It's cool that over the course of the RR series we've gotten a "complete set" of the original scrapped 90s Penguins redesign. 

San Jose- I'm 100% on board with the idea that the Sharks are the Seals/Golden Seals/Barons, so I love this. 

Seattle- They didn't give us a Seattle Metros-inspired sweater? Yawn. 

St. Louis- Points for creativity. It's pretty solid for what it is. 

Tampa Bay- Ahaha! Totally missed the point of the original. What an ugly sweater. 

Toronto- This is such a nice jersey. And a unique one in Leafs history. The Leafs have had white sweaters with blue yokes but never a blue sweater with white yokes. So it's unique without being dumb like the last RR blue and silver monstrosity. I dig this a lot and really want one. 

Vancouver- A solid design ruined with dumb front numbers. 

Vegas- Probably the first Golden Knights sweater I've been tempted by. Thank G-d they did a dumb glow in the dark gimmick to keep me honest. 

Washington- SO MUCH BETTER than the actual black sweater from that era. 

Winnipeg- Classic Jets looks in the modern Jets double blue look just seem lacking in some way? 

14 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Arizona- This has reached the point where the original has been tweaked so often it's lost all value. The original was 90s cheese. The first RR was a clever switch up. This just doesn't work and highlights the problem of the katchina Coyotes look- what is their colour scheme anyway?

Peyote.

15 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Colorado- A Rockies homage?!?!

Why not? I like it more than a Nordiques redux in Burgundy and Steel Blue, and the flag colours work well on the classic mountains jersey design of the Avs.

20 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Calgary- Very sharp, I love it. Like with the originals though, the look is held back by the pedestal stripes.

The pedestal stripes on both the original and the RR feel like they are kind of the point of the whole jersey and wouldn't work as well without. It was a time when CCM went outside the box with hem trim and they went pretty outside that box with the Flames.

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Because they constantly refused to use it where it should be used vide previous RR and Gin & Juice alternate. Btw Lemieux supposledy also hates yellow sweaters but Penguins already had two of them under his cadency so his rumored preferences doesn't matter.

Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

AaOq8Ddj_normal.jpg

A lot of readers keep asking if new Penguins alternate will feature Pigeon/Robo Penguin logo. I can report that some people in organization pushed for it. I was also reminded by people with Penguins that Mario Lemieux has never liked that logo. So…

Why would he hate yellow? Considering The Yellow Home Jersey ('80/'81 - '84 Pre-Season ONLY) was retired before the '84/'85 Regular Season even started

26 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Why not? I like it more than a Nordiques redux in Burgundy and Steel Blue, and the flag colours work well on the classic mountains jersey design of the Avs.

The Nordiques RR was awesome. 

I suppose there's nothing wrong with a Rockies homage, but it's just funny to me. The Rockies are so inconsequential to NHL history yet TWO teams want to homage them in this promotion. 

28 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The pedestal stripes on both the original and the RR feel like they are kind of the point of the whole jersey and wouldn't work as well without.

Depends. For a limited run promotion? Sure... you accurately replicate the pedestal stripes. 

But that quirk always held back what would have been a great primary look. 

3 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The Nordiques RR was awesome. 

I suppose there's nothing wrong with a Rockies homage, but it's just funny to me. The Rockies are so inconsequential to NHL history yet TWO teams want to homage them in this promotion.

I can totally understand the Avs using Rockies colours for obvious reasons. The Devils, not so much.

• Like 1

Just now, VampyrRabbit said:

I can totally understand the Avs using Rockies colours for obvious reasons. The Devils, not so much.

I'm of the opposite opinion. The Devils are the Rockies after all. 

If it makes it better/worse for anyone, the Avalanche and NHL are not referencing the Rockies at all in any of their marketing speak about this uniform. Now obviously, the Rockies inspiration is clear, but according to them it's simply a Colorado flag version of their original sweaters.

Quote from NHL.com " . . . pays tribute to its home state by incorporating colors of the Colorado flag while reintroducing the original jersey design donned by Avalanche greats in the 1995 inaugural season."

I think this is why they went with just the C instead of the Mountain-C. So, they could distance themselves from the old Rockies as much as possible.

• Like 4

jNTsTyQ.png

Do the Devils get residuals on the Rockies’ brand? Lots of Rockies merch is still made by the league, and I wonder where that money’s going.

If it’s money earned by the Devils, I’d imagine they want to keep the IP. Kinda the inverse of the Coyotes/Original Jets situation. The Rockies brand is much more lucrative than the Old Jets’ is.

Could explain why the Avs have yet to formally capitalize on the Rockies’ identity.

1 hour ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

AaOq8Ddj_normal.jpg

A lot of readers keep asking if new Penguins alternate will feature Pigeon/Robo Penguin logo. I can report that some people in organization pushed for it. I was also reminded by people with Penguins that Mario Lemieux has never liked that logo. So…

Why would he hate yellow? Considering The Yellow Home Jersey ('80/'81 - '84 Pre-Season ONLY) was retired before the '84/'85 Regular Season even started

Trusting Rob Rossi, noted clown of the Pittsburgh media who is despised by the Pens for making up bull:censored:, is certainly a choice.

On 10/21/2022 at 12:44 PM, Sport said:

A franchise they have no ties to from a city they don't play in? Maybe in 10 years when we've reached NBA levels of scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas then we can try that. 

I mean it’s not like any other franchises are going to reference the Barons, and they had a very Ohio-centric brand which works better for Columbus than it does for Cleveland. The Blue Jackets uniform history isn’t very deep anyway, so I don’t think it’d be a bad way to go. 

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The media is focusing on an entertaining team that has made the playoffs the last couple of years, was the highest scoring team in the league and won the President's Trophy last year, and is off to a strong start this year?  I'm having trouble trying to find a media conspiracy here.

Oh you didn’t realize? Only teams who play in cities where it snows are entitled to positive media coverage. Any other time you see it happening it’s because the all-seeing Lord Bettman pressed a button under his desk triggering an army of social media accounts. 

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

Chicago- gah... I get it. They want to move on from the Native imagery

I don't think they do. Rocky is allegedly out of the day-to-day but I don't think they've been fully libbed yet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, JohnnyCowboy5 said:

unknown.png

I don’t think it’s an overreaction here to nuke the TD headquarters off the face of the Earth for refusing to modify their shade of green

• Like 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins