2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

On 11/7/2022 at 1:44 AM, M4One said:

spacer.png

Doesn't look too bad.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Ducks' colors in general, but I think the reason why this might look appealing to some people isn't because its good, but because it's different. And different doesn't always equal great. 

Orange should feel vibrant, but there's something about pairing this darker shade of it with the dingy gold/bronze that makes the whole thing seem drab. Maybe it's the time of year, but it makes me think of a picked-over pumpkin patch.  I think these colors work best as accents to black. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the Ducks' colors in general, but I think the reason why this might look appealing to some people isn't because its good, but because it's different. And different doesn't always equal great. 

Orange should feel vibrant, but there's something about pairing this darker shade of it with the dingy gold/bronze that makes the whole thing seem drab. Maybe it's the time of year, but it makes me think of a picked-over pumpkin patch.  I think these colors work best as accents to black. 

The Ducks have been so dark and drab and boring for so long that a de-emphasis on black is always a welcome sight. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I've been keeping an eye on the Senators to see if they would ever do anything with their 30th anniversary logo we only ever got the odd glimpse of (I also keep an eye on the Senators because they are my team). So far for this 30th logo, there's been no patches on the jersey, nothing in the arena, nothing on merchandise... but all of a sudden on a post advertising Alfredsson's hall of fame induction, they stuck a black version on the footer of the poster (when previously we only ever saw the white version on a black background)

Is this earth-shattering logo news? No. No it isn't. But I like the logo and wanted to see more, so here it is in black. Hopefully we see more of it and get a nice high-res version as well...

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BadSeed84 said:

They should've wore them in the game.

The NHL won't let Cooperalls be worn in games again, considering the first run quickly made problems apparent; the lack of friction compared to normal hockey pants, for one thing, which makes sliding on the ice insanely risky at the speeds modern players go. In addition, they ended up retaining heat a lot more (and when you're working your legs as much as you do in a hockey game...well, let's just say dispersing heat is kinda important).

Perhaps less obviously bad for the players, they also just looked really friggin' dumb on ice hockey players. It works with roller hockey, but the two sports are very different beasts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

The NHL won't let Cooperalls be worn in games again, considering the first run quickly made problems apparent; the lack of friction compared to normal hockey pants, for one thing, which makes sliding on the ice insanely risky at the speeds modern players go. In addition, they ended up retaining heat a lot more (and when you're working your legs as much as you do in a hockey game...well, let's just say dispersing heat is kinda important).

Perhaps less obviously bad for the players, they also just looked really friggin' dumb on ice hockey players. It works with roller hockey, but the two sports are very different beasts.

Makes you respect the refs even more, since they have to skate around wearing those unbearably hot and insanely dangerous Cooperalls. And the refs don’t get line changes to rest like the players do.

• Like 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Then the breezers with the stripes would have been the way to go.

No matter what the jerseys suck and are very lackluster.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Makes you respect the refs even more, since they have to skate around wearing those unbearably hot and insanely dangerous Cooperalls. And the refs don’t get line changes to rest like the players do.

Refs don't wear Cooperall-like pants, either; they wear long-legged hockey pants, like these;

spacer.png

rf0d9h73rsy91.png

last time I remarked on what I thought the Blue Jackets looked like I got in trouble so I'll just say that the helmets, pants, and socks only contribute more to looking like that.  As a fan I'm not a fan. 

Ducks - black pants and that should be your full time road uniform. Every minute that's not your road uniform is another minute you're doing it wrong. 

Coyotes - no opinion and can't muster any energy to care.

Bruins - love it. Keep it around as an alternate moving forward. 

Flames - That looks better than the original red jerseys with the white stripes looked. I like the pedastal for the logo. Downvote me if you wish. 

Hurricanes - Reverse Retro to Canada's 2002 olympic uniform? Throwing things back to your active road uniforms? Why? 

Sabres - Congratulations to like 10,000 different posters over the last two decades whose Sabres concept from the concept forums came to life and then got to see it ruined by white pants. 

Blackhawks - no opinion and can't muster any energy to care.

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

22 hours ago, Sport said:

last time I remarked on what I thought the Blue Jackets looked like I got in trouble so I'll just say that the helmets, pants, and socks only contribute more to looking like that.  As a fan I'm not a fan. 

This is like the fourth time you've said this. We get it. You can't contain yourself. 

And it makes as much sense as thinking there's a problem with politicians wearing black suits with solid blue ties (say, at a debate, or a speech, or official photo).

edit: picture taken down to tone down political vibe. 

The Blue Jackets' team store is literally called "The Blue Line"...which could be interpreted many ways, possibly, but any evidence that it's related to something outside of hockey needs to be collaborated and correlated...and there's no such non-hockey correlation going on with these RR's. 

• Hurl 3

16 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

spacer.png

vrP11pn.png

The Flyers brining Cooperalls back for warmups is cool. It would have been cooler still to see an approach like this, with the stripes down the sides of the pants and socks to simulate the look, something Burnsville HS did in Minnesota not too long ago: 

Skaters denied spot in the state field | Savage Sports | swnewsmedia.com

• Like 6

AmPJ0Ty.png 

20 hours ago, Ricky_Roby said:

I've been keeping an eye on the Senators to see if they would ever do anything with their 30th anniversary logo we only ever got the odd glimpse of (I also keep an eye on the Senators because they are my team). So far for this 30th logo, there's been no patches on the jersey, nothing in the arena, nothing on merchandise... but all of a sudden on a post advertising Alfredsson's hall of fame induction, they stuck a black version on the footer of the poster (when previously we only ever saw the white version on a black background)

Is this earth-shattering logo news? No. No it isn't. But I like the logo and wanted to see more, so here it is in black. Hopefully we see more of it and get a nice high-res version as well...

spacer.png

Ian Mendes did a recent mailbag article for The Athletic, and someone had asked about the logo (and the 30th anniversary celebrations in general). Based on his response it sounds like they wanted to start the season with a focus on the current/new players, but that we should see more mentions of the anniversary as the year goes on.

It seems like after Alfie's HoF induction this weekend they will start doing more celebration stuff (especially since the excitement around all the new players/contract extensions is wearing off quickly based on their recent play).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Refs don't wear Cooperall-like pants, either; they wear long-legged hockey pants, like these;

spacer.png

Well then that’s what the Flyers should be wearing to complete their look (with stripes, of course)—the modern day equivalent of Cooperalls. These presumably solve your heat and dangerous issues?

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

8 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Ian Mendes did a recent mailbag article for The Athletic, and someone had asked about the logo (and the 30th anniversary celebrations in general). Based on his response it sounds like they wanted to start the season with a focus on the current/new players, but that we should see more mentions of the anniversary as the year goes on.

It seems like after Alfie's HoF induction this weekend they will start doing more celebration stuff (especially since the excitement around all the new players/contract extensions is wearing off quickly based on their recent play).

I'm surprised they didn't reveal a 30th anniversary jersey, like what the Ducks and Canes have done with their anniversaries. You'd think that'd be a good way to get sales, especially since they don't even have an alternate jersey right now.

If y’all would like to read one of the dumbest RR rankings, check this one out:

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nhl/2022/11/9/23449147/nhl-reverse-retro-jersey-uniforms-jerseys-full-look-ranked

Apparently the Canucks jersey is “black dominated”, the Fisherman doesn’t look good on navy (despite the 90s logo being on a navy jersey), and the Flames vertical podium stripes are “horizontal”.