2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

9 hours ago, mjarvie said:

I’m watching the Kings live and I agree it’s what they should be wearing. On a podcast Luc Robitaille said that as long as he’s here the Kings will be black and white with the occasional purple jerseys. He reiterated that yesterday at a luncheon I was at that the Kings are black and white.

The Kings first became relevant when they got the greatest player of all time... wearing black, white, and silver. 

The Kings then re-adopted purple and became a dumpster fire again. 

Then the Kings re-adopted black, white, and silver and won some Cups. 

Black, white, and silver are the Kings' colours of success. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

The Kings first became relevant when they got the greatest player of all time... wearing black, white, and silver. 

The problem is that, from the perspective of this season ticket holder, the team is entering a Padres-level identity crisis only compounded by two Cups and a McSorley stick away from a potential third.

The Gretzky look is flawed. The fonts haven’t aged well at all and the crown at the bottom of the Chevy logo is so badly rendered it’s almost pixelated. Yet, throw a 99 on the back of it and it’s managed to stick around to the point that it’s back for the younger generation with chrome helmets and hip hop chains sold in the team store.

Then came the late 90s redesign which was the epitome of 90s overdesign with too many number outlines and hem text. Of course, this led to the current primary look in that the late 90s redesign went through multiple revamps (first the crown and shield were switched, then the bottom hem stripe was axed in the Edge revamp, then the crown was shrunk, stripped of purple, and thrown on a simplified shield as a one-year alternate before being promoted to the primary home in time for the first Cup).  Not to mention that the 2011/12 change was so haphazard that purple was still the primary color in the media guides and was used in the NBC score bug without a single shred of it anywhere and that the helmets used the Gretzky wordmark despite it matching nothing.

The flaws of the primary current look are all too apparent, even without taking into account that the current/former colors were borrowed from a football team now playing in the same city as a rival. The team now uses a wordmark that does not match anything in the current look. There’s still Edge-era sleeve piping, and the home and road hems still don’t match. Then throw in the almost interchangeable usage of the primary logo and the Chevy logo with the RR/RR 2.0 return of forum blue and gold and you have a team who can’t decide what the heck it wants to be.

• Like 4

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, LMU said:

The problem is that, from the perspective of this season ticket holder, the team is entering a Padres-level identity crisis only compounded by two Cups and a McSorley stick away from a potential third.

The Gretzky look is flawed. The fonts haven’t aged well at all and the crown at the bottom of the Chevy logo is so badly rendered it’s almost pixelated. Yet, throw a 99 on the back of it and it’s managed to stick around to the point that it’s back for the younger generation with chrome helmets and hip hop chains sold in the team store.

Then came the late 90s redesign which was the epitome of 90s overdesign with too many number outlines and hem text. Of course, this led to the current primary look in that the late 90s redesign went through multiple revamps (first the crown and shield were switched, then the bottom hem stripe was axed in the Edge revamp, then the crown was shrunk, stripped of purple, and thrown on a simplified shield as a one-year alternate before being promoted to the primary home in time for the first Cup).  Not to mention that the 2011/12 change was so haphazard that purple was still the primary color in the media guides and was used in the NBC score bug without a single shred of it anywhere and that the helmets used the Gretzky wordmark despite it matching nothing.

The flaws of the primary current look are all too apparent, even without taking into account that the current/former colors were borrowed from a football team now playing in the same city as a rival. The team now uses a wordmark that does not match anything in the current look. There’s still Edge-era sleeve piping, and the home and road hems still don’t match. Then throw in the almost interchangeable usage of the primary logo and the Chevy logo with the RR/RR 2.0 return of forum blue and gold and you have a team who can’t decide what the heck it wants to be.

Yeah I get this. 

Honestly? I think they need to go to the Gretzky look and just make some tweaks . Use the current crown on the chevron. Get rid of the chrome helmets. Make that look THE King's look. The Cup look is close enough that you can get some cred from it, and you can break out the occasional purple and gold look for a throwback game. 

I'm not doubting that the current identity is a mess... I just think there are pieces there to build on. 

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

The Kings have a 100% win percentage in their RR 2.0 jerseys. Sounds like they should be the team's full-time road jerseys, since we're basing aesthetics off on-ice performance.

EDIT: Obvious /s, since I guess we need the disclaimer.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I can guarantee you uniforms have ZERO PERCENT do to with how a team performs.

Eeeh, I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with performance, honestly; there's a reason "look good, feel good, play good" is such a common sentiment among sports players. It's not the end-all, be-all but it is a factor in how a team performs.

7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Eeeh, I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with performance. There's a reason "look good, feel good, play good" is a common sentiment.

The 2007 Cup Final would like a word.

ottawa-senators-chris-neil-l-celebrates-

Can't imagine anybody on the ice thought they looked good in either jersey, yet both teams played good enough to make it to the Finals.

6 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

The Kings have a 100% win percentage in their RR 2.0 jerseys. Sounds like they should be the team's full-time road jerseys, since we're basing aesthetics off on-ice performance.

It's less on-ice performance and more... relevant in the public eye?

Like, it's hockey. In the United States. In LOS ANGELES. The battle for notoriety is already uphill. I remember the year the Kings won their first Cup. Local TV used the Sacramento Kings logo.

So ok. When were the Kings relevant? When did people in LA, and elsewhere, think about them? When were they the hot story? The Gretzky run and the Cup wins are probably the high water marks of the LA Kings' relevancy in the mind of American sports fans. And they were black, white, and silver for all of that.

There's something to the idea that you should try to capture that look.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Eeeh, I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with performance, honestly; there's a reason "look good, feel good, play good" is such a common sentiment among sports players. It's not the end-all, be-all but it is a factor in how a team performs.

If uniforms played any factor whatsoever, the Cavs most definitely lose in 2016.

lebron-james.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • LOL 1

6uXNWAo.png

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It's less on-ice performance and more... relevant in the public eye?

Like, it's hockey. In the United States. In LOS ANGELES. The battle for notoriety is already uphill. I remember the year the Kings won their first Cup. Local TV used the Sacramento Kings logo.

kings-fail.png

IceCap's not wrong. I can also recall an LA sportscaster once referring to Drew Doughty as "Brad Daugherty".

The Kings' look is iconic to the league. Can you even imagine LA winning in anything a Cup other and silver and black? As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

The Preds should not be wearing yellow helmets with their RRs. It looks way too similar to the current homes, and is too far from the OG look.

• Like 4
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

And look good is subjective, and just someone's opinion, it can never be stated as a fact.

2 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

And look good is subjective, and just someone's opinion, it can never be stated as a fact.

This. Remember, as far as most players are concerned, those new, "hideous" jerseys they're wearing are "fire".

As far as they are concerned, they look good, so by that logic, they will feel good, and in turn, play good. 

In the end, the only people whose opinions actually matters in the LGFGPG debate is the ones who have to play good.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Looks like the Bruins forgot which nights they planned to wear their reverse retro:

195176.jpeg

(This wasn't planned as a "wear them only in warmups" as they wouldn't wear the white socks too)  surely this is the biggest gaffe the Bruins organization will make this year 👺

• LOL 2