2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

6 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Is there a reason that the league currently doesn't? I didn't even know that was a thing...

They don't want scrums where ten people all have black helmets. The Avs tried to wear black helmets full-time their first week or so and were made to wear white at home.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, adsarebad said:

just wear the original uniforms from when you entered the :censored:ing league!

they got it right the first time, just like the avalanche!

With the notable exception of the sock stripes, which match nothing and don't even have silver. The Coyotes reverted exactly back to the Kachina set and didn't correct that same flaw with their socks and it bothers me to no end. We have the technology, give me the hurricane flag stripes on the socks!

the user formerly known as cdclt

Merry Christmas! I pulled a higher resolution version of the Senators' 30th anniversary logo in bloack - haven't really seen this one get used much, so sticking it here for posterity in case it never shows up again before the season's over (which, if you're a Senators fan like me... is already over! lol!)

senators-30th.png

• Like 2

On 12/24/2022 at 12:16 AM, Ark said:

Ovechkin passes Howe in all time goal scoring wearing the reverse retros 

AP22358119372290-1.jpg?w=525

I really like these

I'm glad he reached such a big milestone in these! Hopefully they'll become at least a full time alternate in the future, but I wouldn't mind a rebrand based around this again

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1
SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

1 hour ago, HopewellJones said:

Add me to the list of people who want the Capitals to return to black/blue/bronze. It looks so much better. 

And it feels more unique. No other teams in the league has these colors. As their current color scheme is just a reverse of the Blue Jackets, with red more predominant instead of navy blue.

Count me in as well in that list. I wouldn't care the 90's throwback with this one as an alternate or the other way around. But i feel like they'll go with the We won a cup in that look road and keep their current look

• Like 1

The Capitals have had 15 years to do something interesting with the red and navy look, but have failed to come up with anything of value. I firmly believe they haven't had a single good jersey during that timeframe until the two Reverse Retro jerseys. They've sat around and done nothing with the red and navy identity (the identity itself, not on-ice success) and now they should run with the black, bronze, and blue look. Put an eagle logo on the front of the home and road sweaters, wear a red throwback with the Capitals lettering, and move forward.

• Like 10

I doubt the Caps ever go away from red and navy.  The hockey culture in DC is very much "Rock the Red"...it's been a ubiquitous theme around the arena for the last 15 years. If they ever do change home and aways, I think it would likely be around the RR 1.0 look. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

37 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

But i feel like they'll go with the We won a cup in that look road and keep their current look

It isn’t just that they won a Cup in their current look. The Caps were, for the most part, an irrelevant franchise before the switch back to blue & red. I wouldn’t be opposed to updated uniforms, but I wouldn’t want to see them ditch the colours or logos. 

The Caps’ black/bronze/blue is similar to the Kings purple/gold. Fine to be used as a regular throwback, but shouldn’t be brought back full time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, uniformity said:

The Caps need to use the screaming eagle logo. The word mark and weagle are bland and pretty original. 

As much as I agree the word mark is bland and the weagle is not great, I just don't understand the love for the worst of their logos. That screaming eagle logos looks like some kid in grade school made it, and not one of the talented kids. So I do agree Washington needs a change, but something better than a bad grade school's kid attempt at an eagle.

• Dislike 3

9 hours ago, Bmac said:

I firmly believe they haven't had a single good jersey during that timeframe until the two Reverse Retro jerseys.

Not to nitpick but I think these jerseys were pretty sweet.

caps-winter-classic-jersey.jpg?ssl=1

Otherwise, I 100% agree with you. Outside of this one jersey, the Capitals haven't looked good since 2006.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, mjarvie said:

As much as I agree the word mark is bland and the weagle is not great, I just don't understand the love for the worst of their logos. That screaming eagle logos looks like some kid in grade school made it, and not one of the talented kids. So I do agree Washington needs a change, but something better than a bad grade school's kid attempt at an eagle.

People love the screaming eagle logo. This is evident by the fact that it was the fastest selling RR two years in a row. It is easily their best logo and would be a top NHL logo regardless of how bad their other logos are. The weagle is static and wide. The screaming eagle moves and looks like it's flying. That's why I like the logo. It doesn't need to be clever or realistic. Abstract is completely acceptable for a logo.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, uniformity said:

People love the screaming eagle logo. This is evident by the fact that it was the fastest selling RR two years in a row. It is easily their best logo and would be a top NHL logo regardless of how bad their other logos are. The weagle is static and wide. The screaming eagle moves and looks like it's flying. That's why I like the logo. It doesn't need to be clever or realistic. Abstract is completely acceptable for a logo.

Just because something sells, does not make it good. People bought the Bufflo-slug and that was bad. The screaming eagle is on the level of the Buffalo-slug bad. Logos don't need to be moving and dynamic to be good. Look at Chicago, New Jersey, Vegas, and Seattle for good logos. Washington has just always had bad logos.  If you want to compare 90's bird looks, then look at the Robo Penguin. It's sleak, simple and just looks good. The screaming eagle looks like a steamroller ran over it.

• Yawn 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, mjarvie said:

Just because something sells, does not make it good. People bought the Bufflo-slug and that was bad. The screaming eagle is on the level of the Buffalo-slug bad. Logos don't need to be moving and dynamic to be good. Look at Chicago, New Jersey, Vegas, and Seattle for good logos. Washington has just always had bad logos.  If you want to compare 90's bird looks, then look at the Robo Penguin. It's sleak, simple and just looks good. The screaming eagle looks like a steamroller ran over it.

If the Buffaslug came back to the ice, everyone would complain. No one’s really complained about the Screagle. The Screagle is pretty popular. It sells well time and time again.  It’s not really close to being as bad as the slug…it’s not some amorphous blob.

Think of it like Boston’s meth bear...a wildly popular logo that is uniquely associated with a team although it may not be the most technically sound logo.

This is a league whose fans love spaghetti skates and igloos. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.