2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

If the Buffaslug came back to the ice, everyone would complain.

I wouldn't if it was on a good jersey and only as an alternate. I'm not a Buffalo fan but I've always felt that the Buffaslug's biggest weakness was that it was an OK logo on an awful jersey. The same could be said for the Fisherman and the Burger King.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

I said it already, we're just redoing 2003 except now people think the Hurricanes are cool.

Time to bring back The Best Damn Sports Show, Period. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

If the Buffaslug came back to the ice, everyone would complain.

Give it about 5 years. We've seen the successful return of the Islanders' fisherman, the Ducks' Wild Wing, the Bruins' Pooh Bear, the Lightning's storm jerseys, etc.

Eventually nostalgia will take over and the slug will move into "so bad it's good" territory, especially since it was worn by some of the best Sabres squads of all time.

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Give it about 5 years. We've seen the successful return of the Islanders' fisherman, the Ducks' Wild Wing, the Bruins' Pooh Bear, the Lightning's storm jerseys, etc.

Eventually nostalgia will take over and the slug will move into "so bad it's good" territory, especially since it was worn by some of the best Sabres squads of all time.

Maybe...but I think it'll stay in the holding area that also keeps the Mooterus from coming back. 

That Goathead-era unis came back three times (RR 1.0, RR 2.0, Alt Classic) tells me the the slug is way on the bottom of the hierarchy. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 hours ago, uniformity said:

I cant believe we are having this discussion. The slug is a horrible logo. Universally panned when it debuted. Before today I dont think I had ever heard the screaming eagle logo taken down. Fans clearly like it.

People want bad logos brought back so they can ironically like them. The buffaslug is hideous, therefore it's good

16 hours ago, uniformity said:

I cant believe we are having this discussion. The slug is a horrible logo. Universally panned when it debuted. Before today I dont think I had ever heard the screaming eagle logo taken down. Fans clearly like it.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way years ago because I was an immature :censored:head but not everyone likes the same logos.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 4/19/2022 at 2:44 PM, seasaltvanilla said:

I don't understand the appeal of the Screagle at all. It's horribly lopisided to the bottom left.  I can't tell if the eagle has one or two wings, not in an interestingly abstract or intentional way, but because they just merge into an uninteresting blob in the upper right. The head and talon are rendered to imply three dimensionality, but the wing/body blob is flat. I want to say the perspective of the stars is wrong, but I can't because I'm not sure what the perspective of the eagle is supposed to be. There doesn't seem to be any significance or thought put into the overall silhouette of the logo, it's just what was left over when they put all the parts together. It feels like a napkin draft of a logo.

@mjarvie I got your back

• Dislike 2

The Screagle is the best primary logo the Caps have ever had because it's the only one that even bothered to be a logo instead of just being a wordmark that's made into a primary logo. Trying to claim it's Buffaslug-bad or looks like it was drawn by a little kid is just laughable.

Seriously, there's a reason that their current logo looks like ass when scaled down and both eagle variants don't. And between the two eagles, the Weagle never truly manages to stand on it's own on a jersey design in any of the concepts I've seen; it's just too empty in the middle for me to buy it as a strong primary mark for a brand. Maybe they'll actually make it work on the Stadium jersey, but I still have my reservations on that.

From what I've seen, Caps fans around the Internet generally seem to be pretty fond of the Screagle, too, and it sells really well when they use it; in terms of sports team branding, those two metrics are pretty much the only ones that matter.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, JohnnyCowboy5 said:

cut.jpg

Oh boy, this is going to be one boring-ass game uniform-wise.

• Huh? 1

Boston already has Pittsburgh beat today in the "showing up in the baseball team's uniforms" department wearing (inaccurate) replicas of 1920's Red Sox uniforms, while the Pens wear... modern-day Memorial Day uniforms?

camHNdL.png

FleouyyWYAQBmaL?format=jpg&name=large

Cue the endless corny "WeLp GuEsS wE'rE lOsInG tHiS oNe NoW" jokes across Pittsburgh this morning... but seriously, over 130 years of history and these are the uniforms you choose to wear.

oBIgzrL.png

Getting into the sporting act, too. Certainly one way to warm up.

As an aside -- what are these panels of faux-snow they have covering the entire field for these things? It's been 50 degrees in Boston for a week and I'm not sure we've had any snow at all this season.

• Like 1

Like I feared, the game is a little muddy when both teams share a color scheme of black, golden yellow, and greyish cream.

Individually the Bruins look good, but I don’t like the yellow lids and numbers on a cream base for the Pens at all. Just not a nice harmony of colors.

• Like 3