2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

Catching up on the thread:

FhNlKU4akAAUb9e?format=jpg&name=large

It's the familiar Trailblazers sash, but swapped for the PDX carpet. Seems pretty harmless.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 hours ago, Jay_Mellowed said:

They finally made all of the City sets available in NBA 2K23

PC or consoles?

12 hours ago, Jay_Mellowed said:

New York is reusing previous courts.

I don't know how it looks in 2k but in real life Knicks City court a little bit different this year than in previous.

4r2eer.png

8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Quoting, because I don't understand the hostility to the PDX carpet. Most airports don't have a carpet that is beloved by locals, but PDX did.

I think it's pretty bottom of the barrel to base a uniform off of carpeting, and on top of that I think it clashes with the team's established identity. 

Anything else you're reading as "hostility" is because I'm getting tired of people acting like I should have known about carpet in an airport I've never been to all along. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

I think it's pretty bottom of the barrel to base a uniform off of carpeting, and on top of that I think it clashes with the team's established identity. 

Anything else you're reading as "hostility" is because I'm getting tired of people acting like I should have known about carpet in an airport I've never been to all along. 

I don't think it's unreasonable that you didn't know about the carpet. I don't think that's the point. 

I do, however, think it's unreasonable to act like it's a silly idea or, "bottom of the barrel," without knowing its relevance to the local community.  

There are very few of these hyper-local City Edition uniforms that I care for, but I'm self-aware of the fact that they also weren't meant for me -- they were designed for the people in those cities.

And certainly, some of these are going to be misses. This Portland one just doesn't happen to be one of them. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

2 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I do, however, think it's unreasonable to act like it's a silly idea or, "bottom of the barrel," without knowing its relevance to the local community.  

This is just an agree to disagree situation because I hear "relevance to the local community" in conjuncture with "airport carpet" and I just think it's odd. If Portland wants to do it good for them but... what do you want me to do? Lie about my feelings about it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

There are very few of these hyper-local City Edition uniforms that I care for, but I'm self-aware of the fact that they also weren't meant for me -- they were designed for the people in those cities.

I never really bought that because these aren't limited to local markets. They're trying to sell every one of these all over. The hyper locality is a gimmick to make people think they're cleaver. 

6 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

And certainly, some of these are going to be misses. This Portland one just doesn't happen to be one of them. 

To me the entire promotion is one part of a bigger problem of NBA alternates getting out of control and team brands being compromised further and further. 

24 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I never really bought that because these aren't limited to local markets. They're trying to sell every one of these all over. The hyper locality is a gimmick to make people think they're cleaver. 

Why would these be limited to local markets? With the Fanaticsization of everything, it costs the teams/Nike nothing extra to make these items available continent-wide, even if they're selling the vast majority of it to a team's local-ish fans.

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

I know that you know that that's not the point here.

I think we all agree the City program is dumb; there's no controversy there.

I think it's also reasonable to expect that if you truly think something is dumb -- after people have patiently explained why it exists and who it's for and those people will likely love it -- that maybe you could be a little quieter about it?  You don't like airport carpets; got it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Why would these be limited to local markets? With the Fanaticsization of everything, it costs the teams/Nike nothing extra to make these items available continent-wide, even if they're selling the vast majority of it to a team's local-ish fans.

That's fine! If that's how the business model is ok. But don't tell me "these are just for the locals" if they're selling them to people across the country. 

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I know that you know that that's not the point here.

🙄

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think we all agree the City program is dumb; there's no controversy there.

Yeah the whole thing's dumb. 

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think it's also reasonable to expect that if you truly think something is dumb -- after people have patiently explained why it exists and who it's for and those people will likely love it -- that maybe you could be a little quieter about it?  You don't like airport carpets; got it.

Patiently? Ha! Nah man. I legitimately don't think that's how this went down. 

• Meh 2
  • Dislike 1

Thought I'd check back in after a few days...and yup, the great Carpet Debate of 2022 is still raging on. 

Orlando International Airport's carpet also has a regional popularity to it. Just a warning to this thread when the eventual Orlando Magic MCO (airport code) carpet themed City jersey gets released in a couple years 😂

FYI - Magic are debuting their Magic "Kingdom" City jersey and court tonight.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

35 minutes ago, IceCap said:

That's fine! If that's how the business model is ok. But don't tell me "these are just for the locals" if they're selling them to people across the country. 

I shouldn't have to say this, but it's possible to be both things. It can be designed for the local market, while sold globally, and those things don't need to be mutually exclusive. It doesn't change the fact that the theme of this jersey in specific, and the entire City Edition series in general, was to create looks that evoke local/regional pride. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, FamousAtticus said:

Orlando International Airport's carpet also has a regional popularity to it. Just a warning to this thread when the eventual Orlando Magic MCO (airport code) carpet themed City jersey gets released in a couple years 😂

It's funny, my first reaction was "huh? No it doesn't," then I looked it up and sure enough I recognized the pattern and it has its own Instagram account. The more you know 🤷‍♂️

• LOL 2

ExJworW.png

I'm prognosticating that in 5 or 10 years, the NBA is going to resemble the Premiere League or La Liga: 2 or 3 new "kits" every year, in fancy textures, fabrics, patterns and colors. They'll be called "earned",  "city", "throwback", "hardcourt", "retro", "celebration", "legend" or whatever the heck else you can dream of.

Sell a million of each.  What about the team's brand, you ask? Nah. Don't worry about it. Fancy new duds!

It's a financial model that could possibly work for the NBA. It's just going to be WAY too much for a guy like me to want to pay attention to on a daily basis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sitboaf said:

I'm prognosticating that in 5 or 10 years, the NBA is going to resemble the Premiere League or La Liga: 2 or 3 new "kits" every year, in fancy textures, fabrics, patterns and colors. They'll be called "earned",  "city", "throwback", "hardcourt", "retro", "celebration", "legend" or whatever the heck else you can dream of.

Sell a million of each.  What about the team's brand, you ask? Nah. Don't worry about it. Fancy new duds!

It's a financial model that could possibly work for the NBA. It's just going to be WAY too much for a guy like me to want to pay attention to on a daily basis.

I'd like to think that someone, somewhere has done some sort of risk assessment and concluded that the revenue from these programs is more substantial (at the moment) than what would be lost in brand dilution to this point. 

I'd also like to think that such analysis would be ongoing, and at some point would lead to the conclusion that the risk eventually outweighs the revenue.

It's also possible I'm putting too much faith in the process. ;)

• Like 2

Does the success of the city edition program entice Nike and the NBA  to renew their contract when it comes to an end? Recently major US leagues haven't held a manufacturer for much more than a decade.

Despite Adidas' success in the NHL, their time with the NHL came to an end pretty quickly. Things have been successful so far, but I think that the next 10-15 years of NBA jerseys are still pretty unclear.

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Especially that no one said this 🤣. You're pathetic, seriously.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

4r2eer.png

4 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

Especially that no one said this 🤣. You're pathetic, seriously.

Someone did say this, but I'm not going tosearch through 4+ pages for it. That person was incorrect, but they did say it.

But on another note: why are we still rehashing this? @IceCap doesn't like it, you guys do, and that's that, Jack. Agree to disagree and move on.

On the topic of the future of NBA asethetics, I hope Nike loses the contract and adidas or UA picks it up. How likely is that? I'm not sure.

• Like 1