2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

On 4/16/2023 at 4:54 PM, Germanshepherd said:

The Bucks still haven’t fixed their court?? 

They officially released it today. I find it interesting they went with a whole new court. I don't really like this one as much. I prefer just the deer head to the whole logo at center court. I also don't like that the cream sideline is a seemingly random percentage of the out of bounds area, and not half. 

• Meh 1

8 hours ago, Lights Out said:

but in all honesty, most of these uniforms look decent-to-good.

Most of them do, but that's not the point.  You could make a decent looking black uniform for pretty much any team in any league (Browns and I'm sure a couple others excepted) but that doesn't make it right.  It just makes all the games look the same because there's a black-clad team in every game.  If I wore jerseys or shirseys, I'd probably buy a black one because of reasons, but IMO the teams themselves should be wearing their unique color schemes (and obviously not every scheme is unique, but that's not the point.)

But there's always exceptions, and I'll give one to the Knicks.  I really wish they'd do a total redesign that's based on just blue and orange (and maybe gray), but with the current design, I really like the way the black base highlights the blue and orange.  It contradicts with my preferences, but this isn't a science.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/22/2023 at 8:46 AM, Lights Out said:

1. but in all honesty, most of these uniforms look decent-to-good.

2. I don't get why the Hawks' front numbers are so tiny compared to the Celtics, Knicks, Suns, and Clippers when they all have the same general layout (arched wordmark and centered numbers).

1. i agree honestly. it’s just a shame how black has been played out so much now that it no longer has that wow factor. every team’s going dark mode. the bucks, grizzlies, clippers, and phoenix jerseys probably would have been hits years ago

2. to be fair i’ve actually noticed that lockervision’s pictures surprisingly havent been the most accurate. because any other picture of the hawks shows that their numbers are normal. but for some reason as you mentioned they are tiny. another example of lockervision being a little trippy is if you look at the clippers uniform you can see the side sail design extending all the way to the front and below the number. when the actual jersey doesn’t do that 

On 4/22/2023 at 5:06 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Still have no idea why they ever switched from the Mecca-inspired floor

BMO Harris Bradley Center (2015/2016)

in my opinion the court that came after was their best look to me. cool subtle forest pattern on the border, removal of the excess blue (which to me never paired well with the green and never matched their unis anyways), a sharper cleaned up bucks logo at center court, and the neat addition of the stripes under the goal. on top of all that they basically won the finals on this court. 

IMG_4964.jpeg

FuVYb52XsAE_9XQ?format=jpg&name=largeit’s a shame we’ll never see that design they won the finals with again. and that it came to an end due to some random repair accident or something. and now it’s being replaced by this. my theory is that they were under pressure to make the new court and didn’t wanna spend time repainting the forest pattern so they just decided to paint a portion of the court cream and call it a day. (and it’s irking me how it’s an uneven split) 

• Like 6

On 4/22/2023 at 7:24 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

It’s pretty bothersome when you realize a good 7 or so of those teams shouldn’t be wearing black at all, in any capacity, let alone in the playoffs.

Black makes sense for Miami and Brooklyn. I’m also okay with Atlanta, Sacramento, and Phoenix wearing it sparingly in the playoffs due to some historical precedence, though with Phoenix especially my preference would be purple.

Memphis, Milwaukee, Boston, Golden State, Cleveland, New York, and LA Clippers are showing up to the wrong party here. They shouldn’t be in black whatsoever.

Great post!! I'm a Knick fan and the Celtics in black is crime against humanity.  

• Like 1

The Celtics' black alternate is somehow less aesthetically offensive to me than the reverse of it that they had during the last 10-15 years of the Adidas era, for reasons I've never quite placed. But neither should be worn for a home playoff game, anyway.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2023 at 5:14 PM, BBTV said:

If I wore jerseys or shirseys, I'd probably buy a black one because of reasons, but IMO the teams themselves should be wearing their unique color schemes (and obviously not every scheme is unique, but that's not the point.)

Yet it's likely that the reason why so many teams do have an all-black jersey is because they know consumers, like you, would prefer them. And I'm sure they have the data to support the fact those sell even better if consumers know they're representative of an actual on-court look for the team. You force them into their team colors only, they run the risk of losing sales. 

I don't know that for sure, of course. But you can follow the logic to imagine how team marketing executives likely think. 

This isn't me disagreeing with you.  I'm of the purist class that thinks teams should have two uniforms and a throwback and leave it at that. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Yet it's likely that the reason why so many teams do have an all-black jersey is because they know consumers, like you, would prefer them. And I'm sure they have the data to support the fact those sell even better if consumers know they're representative of an actual on-court look for the team. You force them into their team colors only, they run the risk of losing sales. 

I don't know that for sure, of course. But you can follow the logic to imagine how team marketing executives likely think. 

This isn't me disagreeing with you.  I'm of the purist class that thinks teams should have two uniforms and a throwback and leave it at that. 

I can't find where it was said now, but I remember one of the stated reasons for the Magic switching the designations so black was the Icon and blue the Statement was that the black sold a lot better than the blue. I'm sure other teams have seen the same trend in their sales, especially the ones that don't usually use black.

ExJworW.png

I miss the silver for the Rockets more than I miss the yellow. The silver-heavy era for them was looking pretty long in the tooth so I don't mind their most recent brand update, just don't like that black became the secondary color and silver is tertiary at best.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Digby said:

I miss the silver for the Rockets more than I miss the yellow. The silver-heavy era for them was looking pretty long in the tooth so I don't mind their most recent brand update, just don't like that black became the secondary color and silver is tertiary at best.

Yeah, I think personally I still prefer yellow as a secondary color (in moderation though…enough to maybe even be a tertiary color to white), but I will say that I grew to really like thier red and silver combo a lot over the years in its own right.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the uniforms necessarily, but the color scheme itself really helped the Rockets carve out thier own thing and differentiate from the other red teams in the league. Thier color relationship to the rest of the league reminded me of how I easily tell a school like New Mexico, with thier cherry red/silver, apart from schools like Utah, Louisville, NC State, Wisconsin, etc.

• Like 5

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 hours ago, Digby said:

With the Hawks and Heat both using some combo of red, yellow, and black, the Rockets would not look as distinct if they threw back to the championship era.

Still, owning gray or going back to yellow as the main accent would be leagues better than another red and black team. The Blazers and Bulls have classic looks, the Raptors are a bit indecisive, but we don't need that from the Rockets and it's never looked particularly good.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

With the Hawks and Heat both using some combo of red, yellow, and black, the Rockets would not look as distinct if they threw back to the championship era.

Still, owning gray or going back to yellow as the main accent would be leagues better than another red and black team. The Blazers and Bulls have classic looks, the Raptors are a bit indecisive, but we don't need that from the Rockets and it's never looked particularly good.

They could always go back to yellow and green.  Might look like the Oregon Ducks, though.  Does any team wear red and green?

On 4/22/2023 at 7:25 PM, Toodles1980 said:

They officially released it today. I find it interesting they went with a whole new court. I don't really like this one as much. I prefer just the deer head to the whole logo at center court. I also don't like that the cream sideline is a seemingly random percentage of the out of bounds area, and not half. 

A one and done floor eh? 🫠

Let's go  🔥

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

5 hours ago, sayahh said:

They could always go back to yellow and green.  Might look like the Oregon Ducks, though.  Does any team wear red and green?

Don't think so.

We also sorely need a Green and Gold NBA team.

Oh Supersonics, where are you now?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, sayahh said:

The Sonics are supposed to come back at some point, or at least I hope.

Bucks used to be red and green and that was their proper color scheme IMO.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

I think it comes down to how the colors are emphasized. 

The Rockets and Hawks co-existed as red/yellow/white teams in the '80s and it never arose as an issue. I think that's because those Domnique-era Hawks made heavier use of white in their uniforms, along with inventive design, which made it noticeably different from the much simpler Rockets uniforms.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I don't consider the Heat at all in this discussion because of how, throughout their history, they've placed most of the emphasis on black. In fact, until now, I'd never even considered that they might share similar colors to the Rockets and Hawks.

The Rockets have been red/white/silver for so long now that they've come to own it. I still prefer them as red and yellow out of fondness for the Hakeem era. But if they wanted to go back to that, I don't  think the Hawks' use of it should preclude them from doing so. A distinctive design alone would be enough to set them apart. 

• Like 4