2022 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVII

canzman

As a self proclaimed massive enjoyer of @infrared41's threads and read them weekly, i must ask. Do you even read his thread? He said, not even last week.

On 2022-09-13 at 10:56 PM, infrared41 said:

Finally, I don't care about socks.

IDK about you, but that seems pretty black in white.

If only i could remember the term used for the reebok messes with piping.

• Like 2

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 minutes ago, AnPheitseog said:

If only i could remember the term used for the reebok messes with piping.

Thanks for the kind words and for checking out the lists every week. I do appreciate it.

I wish I could help with the piping question, but I can't remember it either. All I remember is that someone else came up with it and it was funny and perfect. Maybe someone with better recall will come along and solve the mystery.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Thanks for the kind words and for checking out the lists every week. I do appreciate it.

I wish I could help with the piping question, but I can't remember it either. All I remember is that someone else came up with it and it was funny and perfect. Maybe someone with better recall will come along and solve the mystery.

I did some digging, and I think I found it.

PYPs, piping yokes and panels. Also wow, my memory on this board is from 2015! time flies

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

If we’re being ridiculously pedantic monochrome means “only one color” in which case, no uniform combination is ever truly monochrome.  As long as I’ve been spending way too much time on these boards ( which is a long long time) we’ve used the term monochrome as short hand for whenever the jersey and pants are the same (dark) color, regardless of the helmet and/or socks color.  I would agree that it’s worse when the socks are also the same color, but in my opinion @infrared41is correct… same color dark jerseys and pants are an immediate disqualification for any best of list.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I never felt myself getting behind ‘PYPs’ because it felt kinda silly looking at a uniform and saying “yup, that’s a Pip.” I do think though that Ive found a good enough explanation for why those elements looked objectively bad and have gone down as a forgettable era:

First, these things make a uniform look odd because they *contour* the players who are wearing them. Having big contrasting panels on the sides and shoulders and little lines running down the sides plays tricks on your mind to make the players look like they’re shaped differently than they’re supposed to, which creates an uncanny valley when comparing them to more classic designs. This is the technical reason why the first one looks like a dignified football player and the other looks like a fool. It’s because he’s shaped weird by the panels and it makes the brain upset.

0-A920-BAC-4-F78-46-DF-90-DD-5-E0-CCF8-B
103568072_original.jpg?1284816873

The other reason is the visual jumble that panels and piping create, which is distinct from the sheer messiness that plagued 2010s uniforms. The body of the jersey was seen in the 90s and 00s as uncharted territory waiting to be taken over. Yet putting panels on the sides has never looked good because players will always be obscuring them slightly as long as their arms are near their sides (which they always are when they’re just standing). And piping seems like another cool way to add color to the body until you realize that it’s always gonna be so thin that it mostly dissappears from your visual field when viewing it from so many feet away. Both of these elements end up being nonvisible while still being “there,” which confuses the eye and is very discordant look at.

This is why the Titans look is unsalavagable, why the Falcons set still gets roasted, and why the Broncos and Cardinals are freaking maniacs. Their current uniforms are, quite literally, bad for the eyes.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

It was at least nice that the Rams chose the lesser of three evils and went with bone over yellow yesterday with their matchup against Atlanta. It wouldn’t surprise me if they went with this again for Arizona. Seems like yellow is their default pants while blue is worn sparingly and bone isn’t even an option anymore.

spacer.png

• Like 5

I expected Falcons Rams to be black/white vs. bone/bone. The yellow pants were worth getting the Falcons in their inferior combo, however. And I assume we will still see the blue over bone combo at some point this  season.

For Week 3, I think the Titans will mostly be in light blue over navy. They haven’t worn navy jerseys for a September 1pm home game in quite some time.

And I know it won’t happen, but man if we could somehow get the Bucs in red vs. the Packers for a change, that would be a great looking game. Instead, it will almost definitely be Packers in green and Bucs in white over pewter yet again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

It was at least nice that the Rams chose the lesser of three evils and went with bone over yellow yesterday with their matchup against Atlanta. It wouldn’t surprise me if they went with this again for Arizona. Seems like yellow is their default pants while blue is worn sparingly and bone isn’t even an option anymore.

spacer.png

Somehow, the bone looks even worse over yellow. Instead of coming off as its usual dingy white, the pants (in this picture anyway) make it look like a really pale yellow, which serves to clash with the much brighter shade on the pants. 

Apologies if I'm a broken record at this point, but there's nothing that will make bone work for a team with such bright base colors, like the Rams.  

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Why is it the monochrome games where players decide not to pull up their white oversocks? 🤔

Cuz wearing the same color from the jersey to the socks is 🔥

spacer.png