2022 NHL Offseason Thread

LMU

I know the Wild had almost no leverage considering their cap situation, but that still feels like an underwhelming return. Faber is a Minnesota kid and played for the Gophers the last couple years, so I guess they've gotten plenty of looks at him.

On 6/29/2022 at 4:28 PM, spartacat_12 said:

I know the Wild had almost no leverage considering their cap situation, but that still feels like an underwhelming return. Faber is a Minnesota kid and played for the Gophers the last couple years, so I guess they've gotten plenty of looks at him.

As a Wild fan I’m actually pretty happy with what we got for Fiala. There’s no way to totally replace him, so it was gonna be tough with a trade anyways. A first rounder, and an excellent Gopher defensemen is a great return in my opinion. Faber is also a right handed defensemen which is lacking in the Wild’s defensive prospects. It’s also always fun to  get a guy who dreamed of playing for your team while growing up. 

And as streaky as Fiala is I’m not sure what to expect from him next season anyways. He started the year really steaky and then only found his groove once he was paired with Matt Boldy. If he doesn’t find some chemistry with someone on the Kings, he could end up being a 20 goal scorer this year. Which isn’t terrible, but isn’t quite what the Kings will be looking for from a 7 million dollar man…

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 7/1/2022 at 3:36 PM, DoctorWhom said:

I have no clue how I should feel about this. 

Hope he turns out good and not another "boys club" hire.  

I haven't read a bad thing about him outside of his personal issue which he's been very open about and dealt with, players unanimously like him. And then you add on to the fact that the timing of Bergeron's announcement and DeBrusk's withdrawn trade request - AND Krecji rumors swirling, it sounds like the reports of Cassidy losing the room are pretty accurate. 

42 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Only because Murray blocked a hilariously awful trade to Buffalo, mind; so effectively, Murray saved Ottawa from themselves.

In other words, now that Melnyk is gone.... 

I saw, I came, I left.

Very bizarre turn of events where, even though there was a year-long hype train to tank for Shane Wright, he fell 3 spots and the Habs took Slafkovsky 1st overall.

I don't want to crap on this pick for no reason. But I'm not sold on it (yet) because even though he had a late surge, I thought Shane Wright had more upside being granted exceptional player status at 15 and had far more points, last season.

Maybe Slav will end up being better than Shane. Maybe HuGo see things differently, beyond the hype. But this has the potential to make Hughes look like Bergevin 2.0, if this busts...

Shane Wright falling to Seattle at 4 is a real coup for the Kraken. I think that may have the potential to be a franchise-starting moment. Nothing against Cooley, but I feel like the Yotes yoted that big time. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Very bizarre turn of events where, even though there was a year-long hype train to tank for Shane Wright, he fell 3 spots and the Habs took Slafkovsky 1st overall.

I don't want to crap on this pick for no reason. But I'm not sold on it (yet) because even though he had a late surge, I thought Shane Wright had more upside being granted exceptional player status at 15 and had far more points, last season.

Maybe Slav will end up being better than Shane. Maybe HuGo see things differently, beyond the hype. But this has the potential to make Hughes look like Bergevin 2.0, if this busts...

Exceptional status doesn't necessarily equal amazing upside. People obviously think of Tavares/Ekblad/McDavid, but there are also guys like Joe Veleno & Sean Day who were granted it. Wright was never labeled a generational talent, and it seems like his ceiling is a very good 2 way centre. Considering a lot of these kids were barely able to play the last couple years, I'm sure there will be a lot of surprises over the next few seasons.

If I were a Habs fan I'd be pretty happy coming out of the first round with Slafkovsky, Mesar, & Kirby Dach.