2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

2 minutes ago, tBBP said:

All that to the side, though: I really feel like eventually the NFL is gonna endure its own Tim Donaghy/NBA corrupt officiating scandal/exposé before long...this mess is just way too obvious at this point. The only question is which official is gonna blow the whistle first...

The TV networks are likely the ones driving it.  I can't believe that some of what we see is simple "human error".  It's so consistently baffling year-in and year-out that there's obviously no desire to fix it - which implies that the league doesn't feel it's broken.  

As for "the margin of victory" nonsense, if team A drives down the field to the 1 yard line and fumbles it 5 times, they theoretically cost themselves 35 points.  But, if they find themselves in position to win the game 7-6 by scoring a last-second TD which is called back because of some phantom call, the margin of victory was ABSOLUTELY "refereeing incompetence".  Those other missed opportunities are meaningless.

It's the same chest-thumping tough-guy attitude that people have when teams are screwed out of the playoffs  because of nonsense calls - "well, if they wanted to make the playoffs, they should have gone 17-0 and won their division, so they didn't want it enough."  That's not how it works.  We want to know that what we're watching is on the level, and that the best teams are winning fair competitions.  And too often, that's simply not what we're seeing.

Make the referees explain each controversial call after the game, and make them watch the replays in front of the media and then admit if they got it right or not.  Hold them accountable some way.  

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Why do you think the game has officials?

To prevent the players from doing something outside the rules to influence the game. A chunk of the calls they make are correct, so their existence is justified (plus if you believe this is an uncompromised, beyond rigged product it makes no sense to continue watching)

I’m just gonna leave it at if you take care of all you can control in the game (i.e. no turnovers or other unforced errors) and the only reason you did not score more points was bad officiating outside the realm of human error that had no equivalent on the other side, then you can complain about officials losing you the game. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

5 hours ago, Sport said:

That was only the second time I've watched old Tom Brady this season, but dude finally looks old. 

Putting on football pads and running around at 45? So childish. Grow up and go home to your family, ya freak. Also please eat something with fat in it. Some fat is good fat. 

I get a kick out of his white glove. It's like the opposite of Darth Vader.

It's where I sit.

13 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

To prevent the players from doing something outside the rules to influence the game. A chunk of the calls they make are correct, so their existence is justified (plus if you believe this is an uncompromised, beyond rigged product it makes no sense to continue watching)

I’m just gonna leave it at if you take care of all you can control in the game (i.e. no turnovers or other unforced errors) and the only reason you did not score more points was bad officiating outside the realm of human error that had no equivalent on the other side, then you can complain about officials losing you the game. 

You can't have it both ways though. You can't say the officials are there to control the players, but then take a blind eye when they put their thumb on the scale for one of the two teams. Then they're not controlling anything, but inserting variance.

And you also can't say "unless you're perfect you can't complain about officiating." That's absurd. If the players could score touchdowns on every single play, then there wouldn't be much of a game.

The fact of the matter is twice on Saturday, the Vikings did what they were supposed to do -- stop the other team from scoring -- and went beyond by scooping and scoring touchdowns. Twice officials took those scores away.

The other fact of the matter is the Commanders scored a touchdown -- after confirming positioning with the refs -- and it was taken away. On their next try, the officials ignored a blatant act of players acting beyond the rules of the game and then the Giants won.

In both cases, the team was unable to control its own outcome, because the referees in the game were making it impossible to do so.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Uh Oh... also... Jalen Hurts' MVP odds plummeted within the last 30 mins. 

Something happened to Hurts 😔

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lookin' like Gardner Minshew will lead the Eagles for the rest of the regular season.

Just now, DCarp1231 said:

Game Officials need post-game press conference

On the podium. Front and center.

That could have the opposite effect of making them try to be stars... but if the actual players that they screwed are allowed to be in the audience, and throw weapons at them during the press conference, I'm all for it.

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That could have the opposite effect of making them try to be stars... but if the actual players that they screwed are allowed to be in the audience, and throw weapons at them during the press conference, I'm all for it.

There could be an NFLPA-NFLO joint competition conference where players can grill officials on questionable calls from the current/prior season.

• Like 1

After the game, each referee has to spend 3 minutes in a steel cage with anyone that they've wronged.  That'll up the level of officiating really quickly.

Dallas Goedert fumbles a ball and misses half the season because the ref didn't call a blatant facemask that he had a perfect angle on?  As soon as Goedert is healthy, he gets 3 minutes in a cage with the ref.

Or, if in Goedert's case, the play results in a serious injury, the team can substitute its gorilla for the injured player (though in such cases, the gorilla would only get 1 minute in the cage with the referee.)

• Applause 1

23 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Lookin' like Gardner Minshew will lead the Eagles for the rest of the regular season.

Dang. I was really gearing up for the Dallas/Philly matchup with both QBs healthy, but I guess I'll have to wait unitl the NFCCG.

I was also hoping the Eagles miraculously fell of the next three games so the Cowboys can win the division, but I wanted it to happen through natural causes, with no excuses.

17 minutes ago, BBTV said:

After the game, each referee has to spend 3 minutes in a steel cage with anyone that they've wronged.  That'll up the level of officiating really quickly.

Dallas Goedert fumbles a ball and misses half the season because the ref didn't call a blatant facemask that he had a perfect angle on?  As soon as Goedert is healthy, he gets 3 minutes in a cage with the ref.

Or, if in Goedert's case, the play results in a serious injury, the team can substitute its gorilla for the injured player (though in such cases, the gorilla would only get 1 minute in the cage with the referee.)

Got the gorilla in there. Well done.

• LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

36 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I was also hoping the Eagles miraculously fell of the next three games so the Cowboys can win the division, but I wanted it to happen through natural causes, with no excuses.

This makes the loss yesterday more significant. Had Hurts been healthy for the last 3 games, I'd have expected the Eagles to finish with 15 wins at minimum leaving zero opportunity for the Cowboys to overtake them. Prior to yesterday's debacle, all Dallas needed was to win out vs. Philly, Tennessee and Washington and have the Eagles lose one game outside of the Cowboys-Eagles game to win the division and the 1 seed. It seemed highly unlikely, but now with Hurts potentially missing the last 3 games that second loss the Cowboys needed seems far more likely to happen. 

It doesn't matter anymore because even with Hurts out, I cannot see the Eagles losing all 3 games. It could happen, but it's unlikely at this point. 

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

46 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Dang. I was really gearing up for the Dallas/Philly matchup with both QBs healthy, but I guess I'll have to wait unitl the NFCCG.

Skiiiipppp...is that you?? 🤣

39 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Got the gorilla in there. Well done.

I caught that too. Well played, Vet.

• LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Minshew is a free agent at the end of the year and it's likely that he wants to go somewhere that will give him a chance to compete as a starter.  Whether or not the NFL thinks of him as a long term starter or a very good backup who can start in brief spurts remains to be seen although it's likely the NFL thinks of him as the latter while he likely thinks he can be a long term starter.

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

It doesn't matter anymore because even with Hurts out, I cannot see the Eagles losing all 3 games. It could happen, but it's unlikely at this point. 

It's unlikely that they'd lose to the Saints  - especially with the extra motivation of helping their own draft status out with a victory in New Orleans.  Minshew sucks, but he could win a few games before realizing what he is.  With the right gameplan, some lousy Cowboys coaching, and Dak remaining an interception machine, it's not out of the question that he can beat Dallas - though that's not the likely outcome.  They won't be able to neutralize Parsons like they did in the first game - he's certainly going to eat on Saturday.

Hurts threw this ball after his injury - so my hunch is that if the 1-seed was on the line, he'd be able to gut it out and play.  But with the prospect of giving him 4 weeks to heal (and then another week before the SB) it doesn't make a lot of sense to push it.

• Like 1