2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Back when I followed college football some, Ron Dayne was a monster.  I loved the gimmick where the crowd would yell "Ron Dayne" after every time the PA announcer called his name.  Thought for sure he was legit, but just couldn't make it in the league.  

I think he ate his way out of football, which was really the Wisconsininniest way to go. That he put on as many hard miles as he did before he played a single down in the NFL couldn't have helped (putting on a lot of hard miles at Madison is also not limited to football players).

• LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, Discrim said:

All the talk about these QBs who come out of Blueblood programs and proceed to do nothing in the league sadly remind me of a good chunk of the running backs who've come out of Wisconsin.  Most of the Badger backs who've made it to the league, for various reasons, don't do much as pros, with some exceptions (acknowledging one such reason is "my OL's no longer beefier than their DL").

If it helps you feel any better, much the same could be said for RBs that came out of Penn State. Granted, Saquon Barkley is sticking it out in the here and now, but a cursory scroll of some of their star RBs that got drafted to the NFL with high hopes reads like a list of "what-could-have-beens" or "what da eff happened??" (and with some, probably both):

- Blair Thomas

- Curtis Enis

- Ki-Jana Carter

- Larry Johnson (had like two good seasons in KC, but then...)

13 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If there's one thing Derek Carr did was that he stabilized the QB position for the Raiders for almost a decade.  Now the Raiders will be added to the list of teams with a constant revolving door of QBs.  

I'm not saying this will happen,.but for all we know, Carr could either get traded to a contender in the offseason or straight up get cut and sign with one and end up having his own Matthew Stafford story next season (seeing as how Stafford was basically to Detroit What Carr was to the Raiders for about the same length of time)...it could happen 🤷🏿‍♂️

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Would it surprise anyone if Josh McDaniels had Jimmy G or TB12 at QB next year for the Raiders?  Because somehow I doubt they draft Will Levis or Anthony Richardson, both of whom have high bust potential but also high All Pro potential if everything hits.  Some mock drafts have Richardson with the Giants, which would be interesting.  One rationale I heard for drafting Richardson for the Giants was to have him sit behind Daniel Jones for a year or two once the Giants re-sign Jones (Chris Simms on Pro Football Talk has suggested that the Giants sign Jones to a 2 or 3 year deal with an out after a year if things don't work out).   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

If there's one thing Derek Carr did was that he stabilized the QB position for the Raiders for almost a decade.  Now the Raiders will be added to the list of teams with a constant revolving door of QBs.  

But how important is "stabilization" when the ceiling is division champ?  There's certainly some positives to having the same guy every year, but not at the cost of competing for the top prizes.

10 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Derek Carr might be enough to elevate the Jets to contending for the division.   

But do you pay a guy >$30M to contend for a division?  Maybe if it's a one or two year deal and they have a legit young franchise-type guy to bring along, but any further commitment to him would guarantee the same results as the Raiders have had.

Again, I like Derek Carr as a player, but I think he's overrated and is sometimes looked at as a "savior" type, or a "franchise QB" - and he's neither.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Derek Carr also had the misfortune of playing in the same division as Peyton Manning and then Pat Mahomes, along with playing for a team owned by this guy:

txyo9rm0hw9z.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

18 hours ago, infrared41 said:

He counts in my book. Dude was jumping over rows of buses on a Harley 750.  To give people an idea of how crazy and incredible that was, imagine racing in the Indianapolis 500 in a pickup truck.

Evel is another example of you had to be there to fully understand how big a deal he was.

I will wholeheartedly second this.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

But do you pay a guy >$30M to contend for a division?  Maybe if it's a one or two year deal and they have a legit young franchise-type guy to bring along, but any further commitment to him would guarantee the same results as the Raiders have had.

I wouldn't because I think the Jets can be a playoff team without Derek Carr.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

If I was the Jets, I'd try to sign Minshew for relatively cheap and save that cap space to use elsewhere, and accumulate "assets" to use to move up for a franchise QB whenever one is on the board, whether in '23 or '24 - or be able to make a trade for one if someone becomes disgruntled (but hopefully have a better outcome than the Russel Wilson trade.)  Basically the Eagles / Howie Roseman model (they just happened to get lucky that Jalen Hurts might pan out as a 2nd round pick, but I don't think that was their intent at all.)

And/or use mid/late round picks to take fliers on QBs and hope to get lucky that one of them is either the next Tom Brady, or at least good enough to guide the team on a rookie deal while they continue their search.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bengals WR Trenton Irwin is being interviewed on the Pat McAfee Show.....I wonder if him or any of his boys will bring up the fact that he looks like Pat's pro wrestling arch nemesis, Adam Cole (bay bay).

Edit....they did not, although his chat mentioned it.  

14 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Would it surprise anyone if Josh McDaniels had Jimmy G or TB12 at QB next year for the Raiders?

Yes, because I would be surprised to see that potato-headed dolt coaching the Raiders next year.

Mark Davis can't afford to fire McDaniels because he's still paying Jon Gruden who knows how much from last year. It's very very funny. 

It's also very funny that McDaniels was the hot coach every team wanted for like a decade and it turns out he's somehow dumber now than he was when he used a first round pick on Tebow 12 years ago. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

If Al were still here, he'd have fired Gruden FUH CAWWWSE and rolled out the  old overhead projector to blast emails that said "now that's what I call a tight end in scoring position!" or whatever. 

McDaniels, like so many others on the Belichick tree, is a blithering idiot. However, there's something so compelling about how there was seemingly a window in the late '90s/early 2000s where you could just sort of wander your way into an NFL practice, volunteer to go get Gatorades for everyone, and do an up-from-the-mailroom into actual coaching if Bill Belichick thought you were smart. McDaniels did it, Mangini was another one of those, I think there were a couple others. And I think at this point it's clear that Belichick was incorrect in his assessments of these dopes, but it's a pretty good story. I guess the modern equivalent is all the hockey bloggers who got real jobs, but they were all hypereducated anyway and would have gotten McKinsey jobs instead. It pleasantly demystifies the NFL to leave the side door ajar, I guess.

• Like 3

My demystification of the NFL moment was when I realized that Rooney and Kate Mara are progeny of the NFL Giants and Steelers families.

Not that they have NFL jobs, but that half of the league is likely in positions they're in because someone who knows someone had sex with someone else at some point and that's good enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags