MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, McCall said:

When I think vests, I think Pirates more than any other team.

I can understand that.  But for me, Ted Kluszewski takes it for the Reds.

42201---cover-thumbnail-image.jpg

(By the way, the player on the right is Gus Bell, the grandfather of the Reds' manager David Bell, and the father of Buddy Bell, who also played for the Reds despite being best known for the Texas Rangers.)

We see that Kluszewski cut his undershirt to display his large arms.

Klu did indeed also play for the Pirates, where he wore that team's vests.  But he evidently was not allowed to do such extensive surgery on the undershirt there (even though he wore the undershirt much shorter than other players).

Ted Kluszewski - Pittsburgh Pirates | Baseball trading cards, Pittsburgh  pirates baseball, Baseball cards

Anyway, Klu was so identified with the Reds' vests that he cut the sleeves of his White Sox jersey almost into a vest.

Ted Kluszewski, Chicago White Sox just acquired him from Pittsburgh.

And he had his Angels jersey custom-tailored into a vest, with the piping moved.  Compare Klu's jersey with the standard 1961 Angels jersey.

93a2a187e9abb0506bdd4cd24fcd1e70--mlb-uniforms-baseball-uniforms.jpg   1962 Topps Semi-HIgh Number - Leon Wagner (#491) Angels VG-EX | eBay

So I am heavily influenced by Klu on this.  But I would settle for both the Reds and the Pirates wearing vests, as I would settle for the Reds wearing the early-1970s style.

• Like 4

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, BC985 said:

@Ferdinand Cesarano I think the Pirates pulled off the vest uniform too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

These photos show the problems with modern day vests. They need to be a dedicated cut with the arm holes inset more than a usual shirt, closer to the fit of a basketball jersey but not quite that extreme. The Pirates photo above with the ASG patch just looks like a regular jersey that had its sleeves removed, and therefore looks too bulky with excess fabric.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

These photos show the problems with modern day vests. They need to be a dedicated cut with the arm holes inset more than a usual shirt, closer to the fit of a basketball jersey but not quite that extreme. The Pirates photo above with the ASG patch just looks like a regular jersey that had its sleeves removed, and therefore looks too bulky with excess fabric.

That is an excellent point.

The Larkin photo seems to show a cut that is approaching what we see on Clemente, even if it's not quite there, It's definitely not the normal jersey with the sleeves lopped off, as in the latter-day Pirates shot.

EJbh0IkXYAs3lMM.jpg:large

One can find a Dave Magadan Marlins vest sold as "game worn" that has the appropriate cut.

Lot Detail - Dave Magadan 1993 Marlins Game-Used Vest Jersey with  Undershirt (Steiner)

But finding pictures of Magadan (or any other Marlin) actually wearing a vest of this cut is not so easy.

1994 #138 Dave Magadan Triple Play Florida Marlins | eBay  1995 TOPPS #283 DAVE MAGADAN FLORIDA MARLINS | eBay

So I don't know what to think about that.  What do you think about the vest on Sheffield?

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/22/2023 at 11:19 AM, BadSeed84 said:

I loved the Phillies sleeve numbers, it's damn shame they are gone, and especially the reason why.

I hated them and at one point in realizing how long they'd been on, I was blown away at how long they'd made it. 

I'd have preferred they not be there but, yes, the reason is terrible and I'd rather one team have sleeve numbers I don't like than all (or most) teams have "corporate partners" on the sleeves.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, McCall said:

When I think vests, I think Pirates more than any other team. IMO, if one team wears them, it should be the Pirates. 

The Reds should look like this.

World Series: Cincinnati Reds manager Sparky Anderson and Pete Rose on field during player introductions before Game 1 vs Baltimore Orioles....

Are Rose's pants creased?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

93a2a187e9abb0506bdd4cd24fcd1e70--mlb-uniforms-baseball-uniforms.jpg   1962 Topps Semi-HIgh Number - Leon Wagner (#491) Angels VG-EX | eBay

So I am heavily influenced by Klu on this.  But I would settle for both the Reds and the Pirates wearing vests, as I would settle for the Reds wearing the early-1970s style.

Man.  These pics are really a testament to how photography can mess with the colors and warp our perception.  It almost looks like they're wearing uniforms from an alternate universe where the Giants moved to LA and the Dodgers went to SF.

4 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Which is why the Rockies vests always looked like the Mercury Mets to me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Braves CC

I feel like the general consensus for the Braves City Connect is positive. I completely disagree. I feel like this would be the result of letting the JV baseball team redesign the Varsity Uniform. It is a random hodgepodge of existing uniforms. The Braves throwbacks already look better than this.  Adding "The A" to the chest just seems like a really cheesy move. I live out from Atlanta, and I do not hear anyone call it that. Minimizing the sleeve logo on the existing throwback to throw on the sleeve of the CC is a downgrade from the original, IMO.  I think Nike had all of their interns throw in an idea and they went with the worst 3. This is a complete downgrade from any of the Braves other jerseys. Two thumbs down from me!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, batman1211 said:

It is a random hodgepodge of existing uniforms.

This is actually what I like about it. I'd much rather see MLB teams follow what the NBA did last season with the "mixtape" uniforms than become cosplayers for the local tourism board. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, CDCLT said:

As much as I do appreciate limiting the amount of jerseys a team can have, the 4+1 rule seems to be causing more trouble than it's really worth.

I'd prefer if they went with 4+1+1. Home, road, 2 alts, throwback, city connect.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:
7 hours ago, batman1211 said:

It is a random hodgepodge of existing uniforms.

This is actually what I like about it.

I, too, like the Braves' attempt at this (except for the presence of the word "The").  And I will note that it's neither random nor a hodgepodge. Rather, it's a tasteful synthesis of design elements taken from the palette of the team's history.  The use of the feather aesthetic as a sleeve stripe pattern is an artistic triumph.

There is also one new flair that I particularly like: the hat uses the "Padres swoop".

For most teams whose caps  had white front panels, the entirety of the two front panels were coloured white.  This included the Braves.

1974 Atlanta Braves Picture Pack Baseball - Gallery | Trading Card Database  Eddie Murray Stats, Fantasy & News | MLB.com   Jesse Barfield - Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

Meanwhile, those teams' helmets tended to have a swoop on the front.

S: Outfielder Hank Aaron of the Atlanta Braves at the plate waiting on the pitch circa early 1970's during a Major League Baseball game at...  Reggie Jackson of the Baltimore Orioles batting in County Stadium in 1976 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  Lloyd Moseby of the Toronto Blue Jays bats during a Major League Baseball game circa 1985 at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto, Ontario. Moseby played...

But the Padres alone imported the swoop from the helmet onto the cap

Dave Winfield - San Diego Padres | San diego padres baseball, Padres  baseball, Baseball history    Rich "Goose" Gossage of the San Diego Padres poses for a season portrait. Rich Gossage played for the San Diego Padres from 1984-1987.

This made for a pleasing consistency when the cap and the helmet were seen side-by-side.

Baseball: World Series, San Diego Padres Terry Kennedy , Graig Nettles , Steve Garvey , Tony Gwynn , and Alan Wiggins during player introductions...

Now the Braves have borrowed this attractive feature.

MLB on Twitter: "A modern update to a classic. The @Braves City Connect  uniforms honor Hank Aaron and are made for The A. https://t.co/XulkiVNvv6"  / Twitter

Bravo to the Braves!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

11 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Finally got our full answer on whether throwbacks worn for a single game or series count towards the 4+1 rule. Was really hoping throwbacks not classified as alternates and only worn for a very small number of games wouldn't count. I don't mind the Braves' CC unis, but would've rathered they ditch one of their two alts (red or navy--don't care which) and make the 70s throwbacks an alternate, the way Tampa Bay and Miami made their throwbacks alternates.  Sigh....thanks, Nike....(and the Braves)

12 minutes ago, Bucs007 said:

Finally got our full answer on whether throwbacks worn for a single game or series count towards the 4+1 rule. Was really hoping throwbacks not classified as alternates and only worn for a very small number of games wouldn't count. I don't mind the Braves' CC unis, but would've rathered they ditch one of their two alts (red or navy--don't care which) and make the 70s throwbacks an alternate, the way Tampa Bay and Miami made their throwbacks alternates.  Sigh....thanks, Nike....(and the Braves)

Actually, it doesn't. Schiller never specified if they would've worn the throwbacks for one game or multiples. All we know is they can't use a throwback as a regular/semi-regular alternate. Therefore, a one-game throwback is very much up in the air at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McCall said:

Actually, it doesn't. Schiller never specified if they would've worn the throwbacks for one game or multiples. All we know is they can't use a throwback as a regular/semi-regular alternate. Therefore, a one-game throwback is very much up in the air at the moment.

Is it not implied? The Braves never classified their 70s throwbacks as alternates in the style book. Heck, until a few seasons ago, they weren’t even an annual thing. To me, that’s not an alternate, whether specified or not. We agree on that (I think).

OK, we see Schiller suggesting they created the throwback look for the CC unis because they’re now prohibited from wearing the 70s throwbacks due to the 4+1 rule. That seems to suggest that anything—even a throwback worn for a single game or series—counts against the 4+1 rule, and couldn’t be worn if you’ve already got 4 uniforms in your style guide (which the Braves do).

But hey, maybe my reading comprehension is garbage and I’m missing something here. I’d love to see the throwbacks for Hank Aaron weekend later in the season (and maybe we will!), but it sure seems like the City Connects are a replacement for those unis. Anyways, moving on…

I thought I saw somewhere that the 4+1 rule meant since a uniform was a permanent feature in a club’s wardrobe, they get the full treatment from manufacturers with jerseys, caps (think 59FIFTY, 9TWENTY, and snapbacks), player tees, hoodies, etc. Basically a full line of merchandise. Whereas a special event jersey (throwback or Negro League for a single series) doesn’t get quite the same treatment from manufacturers. Maybe I’m off, but I swear I saw that somewhere. This might be their solution to have merchandise year round with that retro theme. I would not be shocked to still see the throwbacks for a game or two.