MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

15 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

In chapter 15 of why sleeve ads suck: the Padres are wearing their PCL throwbacks tonight with navy blue and red trim, however, the Motorola patch is still brown as ever.

Even got matching helmets for the throwbacks! That's always something that irks me--when some teams don't bother to match throwback jerseys to helmets

12 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

Hey look, it’s a map of my town.

Always strange that Bonanza, which is seen as this ultimate old  western show, was filmed and based around a ranch on the California/Nevada border which sits at the bottom of a ski resort hill. 

I'm sure in the 1800s it probably was a lot more like the wild west like so many shows and movies have been based on. That area has just as much claim to the wild west as DFW these days.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tBBP said:

So... can we call these the "MetroConnect" sets, then??

You know what...in a vaccum, on their own, I like them. Sue me. This actually feels more like a Texas Rangers nrasn than the actual current Texas Rangers brand does....

I'm glad you said it so I didn't have to.

The uniforms belong on a slow-pitch softball team. Don’t get me wrong, they’d be the best-dressed slow-pitch softball team ever, but they’re still not very good for MLB. 

I actually like the gryphon, but I don’t care for the Nikespeak that tries to make it seem like…not a gryphon. Also, how can you have a gryphon without a pea and a tear?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:47 AM, namefornamesake said:

"This mythical creature is created by imagining a blend of of the Dallas Eagles and the Fort Worth Panthers."

Congratulations, Nike! You made a Griffin!

Heheheheheheheheheheh…gryphon. Petah Griffin. Heheheheheh. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

On 4/17/2023 at 1:28 PM, McCall said:

How were the previous ones unique? They had the same piping that lots of uniforms have had in the past and especially since the beginning of the 2000's with the resurgence of the classic looks. The gold was completely forced. The navy alt with classic script and gold outline looked like a cheap fashion jersey you buy from Walmart. And the gold drop shadow was in no way unique. Many teams have had drop shadows. The Giants literally have gold drop shadows on their uniforms. And the "blob" is also literally the shape of the state of Minnesota. I guess you just need to brush up on your geography.

wasn't there something about Kasota gold had a meaning to the Minnesota area?

And the blob..... well, guess i just prefer the twins and their handshake.🤝

1 hour ago, adsarebad said:

And the blob..... well, guess i just prefer the twins and their handshake.🤝

Well, it's a good thing the Twins have a giant, hard-to-miss sign of Minnie and Paul right above the Target Field logo, so they're still a very hard to miss element of the brand;

spacer.png

The problem with them as a jersey logo is that the logo just doesn't scale well; the amount of detail at the bottom is a lot for a tiny patch, and this isn't hockey where you can just slap a big logo on the center of your jersey. The state outline patch is much easier to scale and is more legible from a distance.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I actually like the gryphon, but I don’t care for the Nikespeak that tries to make it seem like…not a gryphon. Also, how can you have a gryphon without a pea and a tear?

Well... it's not a griffin. A griffin is a combination of specifically an eagle and a lion, the kings of birds and animals, respectively. The Peagle logo the Rangers are using is combination of a panther and an eagle, so they're halfway to a griffin, but not all the way.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Well, it's a good thing the Twins have a giant, hard-to-miss sign of Minnie and Paul right above the Target Field logo, so they're still a very hard to miss element of the brand...

... That won't be hard to miss at all unless one is actually inside the park...or looking at a picture of it inside the park. And I think that might be one of the issues M&P advocates have with the lack of such on the new sets. That said...

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

The problem with them as a jersey logo is that the logo just doesn't scale well; the amount of detail at the bottom is a lot for a tiny patch, and this isn't hockey where you can just slap a big logo on the center of your jersey. The state outline patch is much easier to scale and is more legible from a distance.

....All of this is a very valid critique, which by the way I 100% agree with. That said, I think that if the Twins wanted to maintain it for uniform use—and for all we know, they may have explored that in the R&D phases of this rebrand—they could've found someone to optimize M&P for greater legibility, scalability, and for embroidery purposes (think Jacksonville Jaguars...although that still looks too cartoonish for its own good), but it seems like ultimately they chose to go as simplifued & Minnesota-centric as possible with their supporting marks, hence "the blob".

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

18 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

Always strange that Bonanza, which is seen as this ultimate old  western show, was filmed and based around a ranch on the California/Nevada border which sits at the bottom of a ski resort hill. 

I don't believe it.  Next you're going to suggest Korea doesn't look like hills of scrub brush on Century Ranch.

2 hours ago, CDCLT said:

Well... it's not a griffin. A griffin is a combination of specifically an eagle and a lion, the kings of birds and animals, respectively. The Peagle logo the Rangers are using is combination of a panther and an eagle, so they're halfway to a griffin, but not all the way.

Well... a "panther" is just the family of big cats that include lions, tigers, jaguars, and leopards.  So there's a 1-in-4 chance it's a gryphon.

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

How are we feeling about this?

Both buildings share the same name, but I don’t like the idea of commemorating a 100th anniversary for something that was put out of commission and demolished. I feel differently about remembering a player’s accomplishments. Stadiums are living and breathing things that have very definitive starting and ending times. Old Yankee Stadium didn’t make it to 100. This shouldn’t be a thing.

I never got to go to the original venue, but I recently went to the new ballpark. I love a lot of the modern inspirations and touches they used to refer to the original, but you can definitely tell it’s a modern facility.

Nice logo, though.

• Like 15

I have to agree with you on this one. I wouldn't say the Cardinals have played in Busch Stadium for however many years. They've placed in a Busch Stadium, but not the same one. I'd even be more generous than some and treat the old Stadium as one continuous building despite all the renovations. But no, the Yankees moved across the street. It's a separate edifice, one that I'm pleasantly surprised hasn't been renamed "Yankee Stadium by Goldman Sachs" yet.

• Like 8

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I have to agree with you on this one. I wouldn't say the Cardinals have played in Busch Stadium for however many teams. They've placed in a Busch Stadium. I'd even be more generous than some and treat the old Stadium as one continuous building despite all the renovations. But no, the Yankees moved across the street. It's a separate edifice.

I'll second this.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

17 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I have to agree with you on this one. I wouldn't say the Cardinals have played in Busch Stadium for however many years. They've placed in a Busch Stadium, but not the same one. I'd even be more generous than some and treat the old Stadium as one continuous building despite all the renovations. But no, the Yankees moved across the street. It's a separate edifice, one that I'm pleasantly surprised hasn't been renamed "Yankee Stadium by Goldman Sachs" yet.

Yeah, they never pretend Busch Stadium is the same one as the first (especially since it's in a completely different part of town, but I digress). And it's usually referred to as Busch III when talking about the team history or stadium milestones.

• Like 1

Watching the White Sox in their city connects for the first time in a real game.  That look (white pinstripes on black top/pants) could absolutely be a full-time primary uniform (same if it was navy... just for a different team.)

The Southside script is silly, as are the other gimmicks, but slap a major league logo or script on it and it's a great look.

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Next in the lengthy list of reasons why the loose leash on uniformity in the sport is a bad things, some of the Marlins have stuck with the black socks with the Friday throwback alt.

Arizona Diamondbacks v Miami Marlins

Their teammates keeping the look up.

I would think this would go without saying, but socks should be the same color for the whole team - otherwise, there's no point in them being part of the uniform. The NFL has been getting sloppy there too.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2