MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

I am pleasantly surprised that I find these decent.

The socks and cuffs provide a little splash of color and I expect that a lot of players will roll their cuffs to show that off.  I also think a few players who are long pants guys will opt to show the socks with these.

I do wonder how white pants would look.  However, the black pants look better than I expected even though I generally can't stand dark baseball pants.  There is also precedent for all black uniforms in Baltimore baseball history.

The 1901 Orioles, for example --

http://oldtimebaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/1901_baltimore_orioles_nugent07-270x300.jpg

For some reason, I can't post the actual image.

• Like 4

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

19 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

"Randy Ready".  If you'd told me that was a major leaguer, I would have guessed…he was from the 1920s.

The Roaring Twenties had some cool names (Urban Shocker (not even a nickname!) and Tony “Poosh ‘Em Up” Lazzeri both come to mind), but the best names in baseball history come from before 1900. Ice Box Chamberlain, Live Oak Taylor, The Only Nolan, Piggy Ward, Cap “Look At How Racist I Am With My Racistness” Anson, Deacon White, Old Hoss Radbourne, Brewery Jack Taylor, Ham Allen, Favel Wordsworth (not even a nickname!), Silver Flint, Bob “Death to Flying Things” Ferguson, Alamazoo Jennings, Sparrow McCaffrey among just a very few. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

I've always wanted a B hat for the Orioles. The idea that people would confuse a black and orange hat with a cursive letter with a navy and red hat with a Tuscan letter feels like a reach. May it one day replace the terrible cartoon bird.

May that day be...never.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I kind of like these very short lived Dodger blue jerseys. I remember using them on Triple Play Baseball (with Giambi on the cover) on the computer.

1_Think-Blue-Week_Photo-Credit-ESPN.png

1125975020.jpeg

Probably my favorite Dodgers jersey ever.

• Like 1

I’m… surprisingly okay with this. Was there an opportunity to use more iconic Baltimore signage that t-shirt stands outside the stadium have been incorporating into O’s/Ravens designs for decades now? Of course. But all in all it could be so, so much worse. The all-black really does allow the cuffs (and the orange names on the back) to pop. And the cursive B is a great alt cap. Nothing should replace the cartoon bird for the foreseeable future but the cursive B is a good complement to the “O’s” cap. 

Overall, it’s a Nike alternate. It could be so much worse. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

7mou7r.jpg

I like the hat a lot, but I'm just baffled by the decision to not have the colorful parts of the uniform on the outside. They had a chance to make these similar to the Brooklyn Nets Coogi jerseys and botched it. And once again, Nike can only seem to come up with black pants. If you're gonna do colored pants, why not go wild and try something else like orange?

• Like 5

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

1 hour ago, bowld said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Well, at least they're boring bad, instead of ghastly bad...
When the only orange element on the front of an Orioles jersey is the Nike ad, you've failed.
When the most interesting part of the jersey requires the players to cuff their sleeves, you've failed.
When you finally give the team a "B" hat and the B is white, you've failed.
When you borrow your number font from the NFL, and the one looks almost like a seven, you've failed.
When you don't have front numbers on your CC jersey, you're cheap.

Edited by M59
Further thought.
  • Like 8

spacer.png

The picture above is my problem with the uniform: Unless you roll up the sleeves or the front is slightly unbuttoned, you don't see the color at all.

"The grayscale exterior represents the surface-level view people have of Baltimore."

I don't know why I find this line so funny. It stops short of saying "people think Baltimore is drab and lifeless."

All that aside, I've grown really tired of these over-explanations of uniforms and all these "symbolisms" and "this represents..." Just give me a nice looking jersey. No need to attach a bunch of designer-speak to it. 98% of the time, no one's thinking about all that anyway.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

1 hour ago, bowld said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Regarding the city neighborhood pattern, I guess they weren't too far off:

baci_map.bmp

I do find it very puzzling that none of those city neighborhood shapes are colored in Orioles signature orange...like, wouldn't that have been a no-brainer of a decision? Now, regarding the following...

1 minute ago, NightmareinParis said:

spacer.png

I need to know whether the Orioles or Nike authored all this...or whether they co-wrote it. Either way, this is textbook doingthemost.com-level stuff. 

And I don't know...Ive been to Baltimore many times, even spent a year living just outside the city. Bmore certainly has its issues, but one thing I can say proof-positively is that there is NOTHING bland about the City...and you ain't got to venture too far into town to see, well, color, so I don't know where that "surface level of the city" mumbo-jumbo came from. If anything, wouldn't you want to showcase the vibrance, rather than "hide" it inside the collar and sleeve cuffs? Had they done that—and added the full-color version to the cap undervisor—I wouldn't give these a higher mark (despite the fact that this is the third of the four [?] CCs shown thus far this season that is heavily or fully black). As is, yeeeaaah I'mma have to say "no" to this one. 

(And of course, as always: this is just one man's opinion...my two rusted Lincolns.)

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Orioles - We're the " first team to design the inside of the uniform"   Hope you don't get hurt patting yourself on the back for that "accomplishment."    I do like the contrasting orange lettering and white numerals on the back of the jersey.  What could have been..

spacer.png

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Imagine if they revealed the jerseys as reversible

The only thing I can think of when I see that design is the inside of the school jacket from Fresh Prince of Belair 😂. I get that the wordmark is from old posters. But if you really wanted a hit, I would’ve went orange lettering, it seems like black and white has been overdone 

17 minutes ago, Bill0813 said:

spacer.png

Buck has made his preferences clear with the caps of several teams, at least in spring training.  During at least one spring with the Yankees, he used the white-crowned cap for the coaching staff, in the manner of the 1970s A's.  With Texas he wore a red cap while the players wore a blue cap. And with the Mets this past spring he wore the regular cap instead of the spring training cap.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png