MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, AstroCree said:

This is Adam Silver's fault. He opened the floodgate with this BS. 

It was over the moment the NBA allowed it. At that point, I already felt like we'd been on borrowed time for a while. Given how long pro sports leagues elsewhere have done much worse than this, I can't believe this didn't happen in the 1980s. Silver? Well, he made the big decision, but given where we were headed, if it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.

Prediction: We're entering our last year of no ads in the NFL.
Prediction: MLB and NHL will have bigger sponsor presence than team presence on jerseys by 2030.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

If I was an MLB player, I'd do what I can to get my next contract to stipulate that I will not be the model for an new uniform ad sponship posts/ads.

So you'd retire? Ok, then.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Prediction: MLB and NHL will have bigger sponsor presence than team presence on jerseys by 2030.

That's not a prediction, that's just fearmongering. If jersey ads haven't completely overrun the NBA, undoubtedly the league least concerned with such things as aesthetics and uniform sanctity, then I have my doubts any of the major leagues will do so by the end of this decade.

Teams in the major NA leagues value their own brand heavily, there's literally no way they'd be fine with letting other companies' brands be more prominent then their own on a uniform; Euro leagues have a very different culture surrounding that stuff which makes it more palatable, and in junior leagues that's part of how they stay financially viable as compared to the hundreds-of-millions to billion-dollar major leagues.

That's why there's plenty of ads on playing surfaces, since those are all standardized league-wide and thus you can sell space there without worrying about it diluting the team brand as much; only the most purist of purists truly give a :censored: if, like, the boards in hockey have ads in the grand scheme of things, that's why they've had them since since the 80's.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So you'd retire? Ok, then.

Not that I would not play…I’d just do everything I could to not be in the promotional photos.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

8 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

It was over the moment the NBA allowed it. At that point, I already felt like we'd been on borrowed time for a while. Given how long pro sports leagues elsewhere have done much worse than this, I can't believe this didn't happen in the 1980s. Silver? Well, he made the big decision, but given where we were headed, if it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.

Prediction: We're entering our last year of no ads in the NFL.

Goodell is anti-uniform ads. As long as he’s at the helm, I doubt it happens. He believes, correctly IMO, that the monetary gain loses out to the “cheapening” of the brand. I hope he holds the line.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, justin23iu said:

Goodell is anti-uniform ads. As long as he’s at the helm, I doubt it happens. He believes, correctly IMO, that the monetary gain loses out to the “cheapening” of the brand. I hope he holds the line.

He held to that line while he re-signed the EA exclusivity deal for football video games, so he better.

5 hours ago, justin23iu said:

Goodell is anti-uniform ads.

He already has them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Ark said:

He held to that line while he re-signed the EA exclusivity deal for football video games, so he better.

EA makes the NFL brand look cheap with how little effort they put into their game these days. Yeah sure, I play the game but it's so far behind the other sports it's laughable. The most watched sport in America doesn't have a really good video game. It's baffling.

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Y’all really thought the Yankees wouldn’t cave? Tradition is tradition until the check clears.

I mean the Habs already added an advertisement, so it probably wasn’t long before the Yankees did…

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Y’all really thought the Yankees wouldn’t cave? Tradition is tradition until the check clears.

I thought they'd be the last to cave. Though in fairness, I'm surprised how many teams have yet to do so. I figured the other 29 teams would all have done this by now.

POTD (Shared)

8 hours ago, justin23iu said:

I guess I didn't know that specifically about Goodell. I guess everyone has some redeeming quality...

To that point, I've always wondered about weighing sharing of the brand vs. the income that said sharing generates. I recall when the NBA first really started to consider it, reading that it would generate $100 million. Now, that's a lot of money. But it's also like $3 million per team. Maybe that number has grown since the "program" started. But in a league that has seen Allen Crabbe earn eight figures, is this really a difference-making amount? Is it really worth watering down the brand for? I guess the answer is yes...and I suppose it make sense. I doubt they lose much, if any revenue. How many fans spend less money on games and gear because of it? Probably almost none...the only direct impact is authentic jerseys.

All that said, it's kinda sad that teams will take semi-significant amounts of money to water down the brand like this.

And while all of the jerseys are cheapened by the ads, it's really jarring on the most famous jersey in sports history. The patch isn't as big as San Diego's patch or as jarringly tacky as Atlanta's. But it's the poster child for taking a big old crap on a sport so rooted in history and, to some degree, aesthetics. It really cheapens their look and if they win the World Series on a walkoff or something, seeing Starr Insurance will forever have a part in that moment, which is far more depressing than the Cavs winning it all in the worst jersey they had (by a mile).

• Like 2

POTD (Shared)

On 7/12/2023 at 5:16 PM, jerrylawless3 said:

I don't quite get this take. Black/dark-colored pants have been a part of baseball since nearly the formation of the MLB – both the White Sox and Reds wore navy pants in the 1910s.

I have this same feeling with some opinions on football uniforms – not all uniforms have to be all-white and all-gray, or limited to standard stripes for football. A uniform can be well-designed without falling in line with "traditional" uniform elements. It feels like a lot of people on this board would prefer if all uniforms looked 90% the same.

Maybe maybe....... the white sox black CC jersey look okay with black pants, but the jersey is also black.

This All Star jersey is Navy blue!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AstroCree said:

This is Adam Silver's fault. He opened the floodgate with this BS. 

That guy is genuinely scary.  A ghoul!

The NBA draft should be NC-17.

Just mind-blowing to think that his predecessor was the complete opposite!

Would not even allow manufacturer logo on NBA jersey and shorts!!

7 hours ago, bob95 said:

We may see the end of the Astros blue alts next year due to the new Nike template.

That is a good thing IMO but they need to bring back that sunset gradient somehow.

• Like 4