NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

Now the Snatit is a different story. From having lived in Nashville when those first came out to now, I've tried—really hard, in fact—to find some redeeming quality in those sets, and to date, I've found exactly two. I will say that I like the shape of the shoulder yokes

"Their shoulders are swords" or something silly like that was part of the Nike-Speak when the Titans uniforms were unveiled. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

21 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

"Their shoulders are swords" or something silly like that was part of the Nike-Speak when the Titans uniforms were unveiled. 

As was the "sword sheath" two-tone gray...whatever-they-ares on the pants.

And all this gets right back to—and this is probably the 489th time I've brought this up because it's true— @Sport's summative verdict of the difference between the pre-2004 Bengals' uniforms and the updated sets that came after: paraphrasing, but the former set said "we're a football team nicknamed after tigers"; the latter said "we're tigers who play football". All of which is to say: some of these recent Nike-designed uniforms shade more toward the cosplay side; my gut says the new Cardinals uniforms will follow suit.

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

11 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

Where did "Stanit" come from? I know it's backwards for Titans but feel like I missed the origin of it. 

That'd be me. What you described is why I rechristened them that going back to at least 2020 if not before. Why? Because for a good solid six or seven years that team has rewritten the book on playing up and down to competition...routinely and somehow repeatedly beating if not blowing out the top teams in the league only to then turn around and get beat if not blown out by the worst...just backwards as all get-out, hence the backwards [re]name.

Oh and it's "Snatit". 😉

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 minutes ago, tBBP said:

That'd be me. What you described is why I rechristened them that going back to at least 2020 if not before. Why? Because for a good solid six or seven years that team has rewritten the book on playing up and down to competition...routinely and somehow repeatedly beating if not blowing out the top teams in the league only to then get beat if not blown out by the worst...just backwards as all get-out, hence the backwards [re]name.

Oh and it's "Snatit". 😉

Go Tinats!

• LOL 5

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

15 minutes ago, tBBP said:

All of which is to say: some of these recent Nike-designed uniforms shade more toward the cosplay side; my gut says the new Cardinals uniforms will follow suit.

Which is precisely my biggest issue with current sports branding. It's no longer enough to just be a team with a nickname. These days, you have to incorporate a bunch of made up nonsense that comes with that nickname. "The shoulders are swords", "the numbers represent the sabres used by Buccaneers", "the orange stitching represents the precise workmanship of Cleveland steel workers" (or something like that), and so on. It's gone from ridiculous back when it started to straight up parody now.

That being said, I can't wait to see how Nike comes up with a way to make a garden variety, backyard bird into some sort of fierce warrior.

• Like 5

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Which is precisely my biggest issue with current sports branding. It's no longer enough to just be a team with a nickname. These days, you have to incorporate a bunch of made up nonsense that comes with that nickname. "The shoulders are swords", "the numbers represent the sabres used by Buccaneers", "the orange stitching represents the precise workmanship of Cleveland steel workers" (or something like that), and so on. It's gone from ridiculous back when it started to straight up parody now.

That being said, I can't wait to see how Nike comes up with a way to make a garden variety, backyard bird into some sort of fierce warrior.

MLS was the ones that started that BS in the US. 

• Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, tBBP said:

That'd be me. What you described is why I rechristened them that going back to at least 2020 if not before. Why? Because for a good solid six or seven years that team has rewritten the book on playing up and down to competition...routinely and somehow repeatedly beating if not blowing out the top teams in the league only to then turn around and get beat if not blown out by the worst...just backwards as all get-out, hence the backwards [re]name.

Oh and it's "Snatit". 😉

Haha wow, clearly I'm caught up in the Cardinals hysteria considering I even referenced that it's "Titans" backwards but couldn't even type it backwards properly 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the explanation though! It's bang-on!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Settling in to see what kind of rationale comes from this statement.

Show me a picture of a wizard that doesn't look like this, you can't.

PHOTOS: Sporting KC pays homage to Wiz-era with 20th anniversary kits |  theScore.com

• LOL 3
  • Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

This is a far cry from what you originally claimed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was making a joke because the post you were responding to was blaming soccer for teams dressing like the thing they're named after and it's not actually remotely true in the MLS.

Just now, MDGP said:

I was making a joke because the post you were responding to was blaming soccer for teams dressing like the thing they're named after and it's not actually remotely true in the MLS.

Oh my bad. I was skimming through the thread and assumed you were the OP that said MLS was responsible for marketing driven brand identities. I see now that was kmccarthy27 and not you. My apologies MDGP! 😁

5 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Oh my bad. I was skimming through the thread and assumed you were the OP that said MLS was responsible for marketing driven brand identities. I see now that was kmccarthy27 and not you. My apologies MDGP! 😁

Haha, no biggie. I've been throwing around jokes on this thread all week, one was bound to not land eventually.

• Like 1

Re: Titans - I totally had the new set blocked out in my mind! D'oh! Yeah those aren't too good. I like the idea behind the numbers but for me the other "cute" things really have to go if those numbers stay. In my mind I still think of their original uniforms, although flawed as well, they were a few tweaks away from a great set. The colors are what make this team look so good to me, currently there are too many combos being used. (A flaw many teams have currently.) I feel a less is more approach with their colors would work well.

• Like 2