NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

8 minutes ago, Cujo said:

WHUT

D9d6UB4XoAAULg7.jpg

SB50 was five head coaches and seven ten QBs ago bro.  Maybe you have great recent memories of Paxton Lynch, Trever Simien, Case Keenum, et al but I sure don't. 

Again, a lot of people who grew up in the 70s and 80s and 90s have fond memories of other games outside of the Super Bowl. 

After last year's just complete dysfunction, SB 50 seems like forever ago. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

30 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The cherry on top (in their final game in the "D") was after locking up home-field, crapping the bed vs the 2nd year expansion Jaguars. 

As a kid living 1,000 miles from Jacksonville, that was the first time I saw the Jaguars play. I thought they looked cool and adopted them as my team. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

SB50 was five head coaches and seven QBs ago

I had to fact check this because it sounds completely made up, but holy balls - it's true.  It's probably not possible to look up, but I wonder if there's any other comp in terms of coach/qb turnover in such a relatively-short period of time.

• Like 9

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

SB50 was five head coaches and seven QBs ago bro.  Maybe you have great memories of Paxton Lynch but I sure don't. 

Again, a lot of people who grew up in the 70s and 80s and 90s have fond memories of other games outside of the Super Bowl. 

After last year's just complete dysfunction, SB 50 seems like forever ago. 

Great recap of the Denver Broncos' history while conveniently leaving out the entire Mike Shanahan era. 🥱

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

I had to fact check this because it sounds completely made up, but holy balls - it's true.  It's probably not possible to look up, but I wonder if there's any other comp in terms of coach/qb turnover in such a relatively-short period of time.

I think the Browns had the most turnover...that one guy's jersey with all the names crossed out sticks out. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Great recap of the Denver Broncos' history while conveniently leaving out the entire Mike Shanahan era. 🥱

The 97-98 seasons were great for Shanahan. Any other trips to the playoffs under Shanahan were just utter failures according to your own rules....and the funny thing is you were this site's biggest New York Jets fan during the 2000s Shanahan era!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think the Browns had the most turnover...that one guy's jersey with all the names crossed out sticks out. 

But that was since the franchise's return.  You're essentially talking about 6 seasons.  That's unfathomable.  I had to double check it just to ensure I wasn't crazy.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, WSU151 said:

The 97-98 seasons were great for Shanahan. Any other trips to the playoffs under Shanahan were just utter failures according to your own rules. 

Had Dan Reeves won JUST ONE championship this would be a totally different conversation.

I'm not saying there isn't solid tradition behind the D, but there's an even larger tradition behind the cyberhorse. You don't throw away unis you win three titles in. There was a reason they switched things up in '97. If the D meant anything at the time, Bowlen would've kept it. He didn't. 🏆🏆🏆

• Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

You don't throw away unis you win three titles in.

Sure you do.  If they're lousy and aren't selling anymore, then why not?  Sometimes tradition, regardless of success, is a great reason to keep uniforms.  But sometimes it's not.

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

There was a reason they switched things up in '97.

Likely because Nike was involved and they and the team wanted something "new" and "innovative" that they could put on the shelves and generate new revenue from.  I seriously doubt any team execs have been sitting there saying "we've lost a lot in these uniforms, if we change them we might win."

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Had Dan Reeves won JUST ONE championship this would be a totally different conversation.

I'm not saying there isn't solid tradition behind the D, but there's an even larger tradition behind the cyberhorse. You don't throw away unis you win three titles in. There was a reason they switched things up in '97. If the D meant anything at the time, Bowlen would've kept it. He didn't. 🏆🏆🏆

Coincidentally, the change to navy was in the works before the Jacksonville game, as all the coaches' apparel in '96 was navy and they had the one-year-wonder wordmark.  Nike was going to make a change because they were Nike and it was the 90s.  

The Dolphins have changed uniforms multiple times despite winning multiple Super Bowls with the leaping dolphin.  Hell even the 49ers made significant changes after winning 4 Super Bowls. 

But based on free-agency and upgrades in talent, the Broncos would have won Super Bowls in 97 and 98 even if they hadn't changed unis.  

Shanahan and Elway

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

Likely because Nike was involved and they and the team wanted something "new" and "innovative" that they could put on the shelves and generate new revenue from.  I seriously doubt any team execs have been sitting there saying "we've lost a lot in these uniforms, if we change them we might win."

Let's not pretend that had Denver won 3 Lombardis in the "D", that Bowlen wouldn't have told Nike to kick rocks.

Winning championships matters. That's why the cyberhorse is still here. That's why the ugly Raven head is still around. That's why the Steelers have kept one side of their helmet blank. That's why Dallas wears 39752 shades of blue and silver.

6uXNWAo.png

Just now, Cujo said:

Let's not pretend that had Denver won 3 Lombardis in the "D", that Bowlen wouldn't have told Nike to kick rocks.

Winning championships matters. That's why the cyberhorse is still here. That's why the ugly Raven head is still around. That's why the Steelers have kept one side of their helmet blank. That's why Dallas wears 39752 shades of blue and silver.

The Steelers changed their number font despite winning 4 SBs in the block.

The 49ers thought a dark cardinal was a great change after winning 4 SBs in the scarlet and gold. 

The Cowboys changed blue jerseys three or four times since winning their first SB in the 70s. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Dolphins have changed uniforms multiple times despite winning multiple Super Bowls with the leaping dolphin.  Hell even the 49ers made significant changes after winning 4 Super Bowls. 

The difference with that is the Niners went back to those Montana unis and the Dolphins will inevitably go back to Snowflake wearing a helmet.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

The Steelers changed their number font despite winning 4 SBs in the block.

The 49ers thought a dark cardinal was a great change after winning 4 SBs in the scarlet and gold. 

The Cowboys changed blue jerseys three or four times since winning their first SB in the 70s. 

None of those examples were complete overhauls like you're suggesting the Broncos do.

6uXNWAo.png

I thought Denver's current uniform was good when it was under Reebok. But with Nike it doesn't have the same charm. Same thing with other teams.

Since Elway is stepping away from the organization, this is a good time to leave these uniforms behind. Resurrecting old designs and modernizing them is the trend now. I'd like to see the Broncos white jersey and orange pants that they used in the old days.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I don’t think I’ll ever understand the love that old Broncos D horse logo gets. The D kinda just made the whole thing look awkward, and the rendering on the horse itself was ATROCIOUS. I get now that the horse is blowing air/snot out of its nose, but when I was a kid I absolutely did not understand what was happening there. I always thought it looked like someone was trying to tickle the horse with a feather. Now it looks like one of those weird S&M/bondage feathers someone is bothering the horse with. Not a good look. Especially considering that their current helmet logo is MILES better. I don’t like the Broncos at all, but their current helmet logo is one of the best helmet logos in the entire league. People really want to ditch it for that dumb, outdated D logo? Weird. 

Funny, as a small child, I used to think it was another horse's tail in front of the bucking bronco, which was about to hit said equine smack dab directly in its snout/mouth.

You want to talk about ill advised rebrands after success, you cannot forget the Houston Rockets in 1995. For some reason they went all in after two straight championships. I have a soft spot for the look but the idea to rebrand was stupid regardless.

vr7yd7ghightk5f9g3jh5ltnc.png

The issue with rebranding though is that it's planned in advance so the Rockets ended up winning right after the look was greenlit. Whoops.

"So the request to rebrand Houston happened in 1993, even before the won their first trophy. After the Rockets won their second NBA Championship, Rockets team owner Les Alexander requested the NBA postpone launching the new identity in the fall of 1995. Unfortunately, this was not possible as over $400k of official Rockets merchandise, legal fees and venue transformation costs had been spent and the League was not willing to absorb the team’s expenses."

I know this is the NFL thread but this is relevant to the discussion.

bSLCtu2.png

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

Patriots didnt have an issue changing after 6 super bowls 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gothedistance said:

I thought Denver's current uniform was good when it was under Reebok. But with Nike it doesn't have the same charm.

Ironic, since it was Nike that first rolled it out.  Reebok (presumably Ripon) simply inherited it.

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Nike logo not being flipped on the right sleeve of the ‘97 Broncos rebrand really irks me

spacer.png

I feel differently - I think the reversed logo is awkward.  Maybe because all the Nike teams pre-2012 wore it in the same direction, or maybe it's because that's literally Nike's logo.  I know that it's technically reversed on sneakers, but it still looks odd to me to see the wide part on the right and pointy part on the left.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

John Elway was a terrible GM who lucked into Peyton Manning wanting to wind down his career in Denver over Glendale. 

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1